Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Member of
Outdoor Tomorrow Foundation,NRA, Life Member DSC
Hunted
Texas, Oklahoma, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, Namibia, South Africa, Spain, Tanzania, and now Tajikistan

I am not a reloader and sometimes when the reload people get going I get lost. I have found that Ron Spomer provides a good explanation.

ENJOY!

Good video-I still believe we should all own at Least one of each!
The .30-06 or .308 and .375 are a good foundation to proper hunting battery.

The .30-06 or .308 and .375 are a good foundation to proper hunting battery.
It’s all you need!
I also have a 223 (black gun) and 7x57 but that’s just because
I do want a .458 Lott in CZ 550 though…

I might be biased by the fact that I live in Limpopo, you can’t see further than an ‘06 can reach here!
I have shot bushveld where a 308 will do just fine and a 30-06 will "nearly" be too fast.(8x57 will be awesome or 375 H&H with heavy solids) but in the Kalahari where longer shots are happening a 300 winmag or 375 with lighter bullets willl be awesome in my opinion. Dont misunderstand me, i love the 30-06, but I think the 375H&H is the most versatile caliber there is. I love my .30 magnum caliber, but oh my god it messes meat on Springbok size game at anything under 300m.

I have shot bushveld where a 308 will do just fine and a 30-06 will "nearly" be too fast.(8x57 will be awesome or 375 H&H with heavy solids) but in the Kalahari where longer shots are happening a 300 winmag or 375 with lighter bullets willl be awesome in my opinion. Dont misunderstand me, i love the 30-06, but I think the 375H&H is the most versatile caliber there is. I love my .30 magnum caliber, but oh my god it messes meat on Springbok size game at anything under 300m.
I hunt everything with my .375!

Having 30-06, 308 win, 375 HH and 9.3x62, I have designated 308 for target shooting duty, 375 HH for African expeditions, and '06 and 9.3 for northtern hemisphere hunting.

Ron Spomer has great narrative, he reminds me of one of my school teachers.

As much as everyone likes to poke fun at Peter Capstick, if you go back to his Safari guide book he recommends the boring but exceedingly practical and effective combo of the 06 and 375.

Having 30-06, 308 win, 375 HH and 9.3x62, I have designated 308 for target shooting duty, 375 HH for African expeditions, and '06 and 9.3 for northtern hemisphere hunting.

Ron was a teacher for a while.

There could be a number of cartridges listed on this one for just two that would cover a whole lot.

I would start with the .270 Winchester and go up to the .35 Whelen, and then the .375 HH...

I really like his posts, like the one he did on the Kimber Caprivi, made me want to buy one right now and head to the Caprivi.

Jack O'Conner always said if he could only have one rifle to hunt the world it would be the 375 h&h. If he could have two the other would be the 270 Winchester. With today's powders I bet he would choose the 30-06. I know I would.

Jack O'Conner always said if he could only have one rifle to hunt the world it would be the 375 h&h. If he could have two the other would be the 270 Winchester. With today's powders I bet he would choose the 30-06. I know I would.
That's sacrilege saying that O'Conner would pick the 06 over the 270 even with todays powders.

First of i realize this is an old thread, but would you really choose the 375 for 300+m shots as opposed to the 30 06?

I have been wondering myself as which caliber to buy. I am leaning towards the 375 as i mostly bush hunt. Although once a year we go to Secunda for longer distance shots. Which i thought the 06 wpuld be better as first rifle.

30-06 and 375 HH have almost identical trajectory till 300 m.
So, choice will depend on game hunted.

Small to medium plains game?
medium to large plains game?

DG is not considered, because it is not hunted at 300 meters.
And smallest caliber is 375 for dg.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
majisman

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross