Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, Member of,,Caribou Hunt Club, Stock and Barrel Pistol Range
Hunted
Illinois,Wisconsin,Michigan Limpopo Province South Africa
Built for Montgomery Wards by Heym in West Germany On a large ring short action Mauser, maybe started life as a 7x57 ,I can't find a ton of information on this Rifle built as a limited offer sometime in the 50s-60s . The barrel is slightly long at 21" for a Mannlicher stock. The action is slick and the bore is bright and shiney. Should make a nice shooter
DSC00401.jpg
DSC00381.jpg
DSC00401.jpg
DSC00381.jpg
DSC00392.jpg
DSC00398.jpg
DSC00399.jpg
DSC00406.jpg

Last edited:
Montgomery Wards? Never would have guessed that!!!!

Nice rifle...

That a beauty for sure, I love everything about it.

Nice, Heym makes very good rifles.

DSC00402.jpg
Thanks Guys,it only weighs 8.5lbs scoped so it Should make a nice Plains game rifle, the Bolt Handle is called among other things a Butterknife and is still popular in Europe. heres a pic of the floor plate release a pretty upscale touch

Montgomery Wards? Never would have guessed that!!!!

Nice rifle...

I'm with you Royal.....would never have landed on "Monkey Wards" as we use to say.

What a nice find.
It reminds me too of when Montgomery Wards and Sears were my favorite reading which is a whole another good feeling .

Some updates the Rifle was made in the 60s and the Action is based on a mid sized Mauser action, these were built in limited numbers and Most were 30-06 calibers, it doesn't seem to like 180+ grain bullets but shoot 150s extremely well, I'm going to load some 125s today and see how it handles them.

Rob404, that looks in great condition! I'll give you $50 for it:LOL:? Just kidding! Excellent find!

"Monkey Warts" as we called it, was one of my favorite places to visit in Fort Worth, TX growing up. If they didn't have it, you didn't need it.

The Sears special catalogs, Jeep Parts, Model T & A Parts, etc were awesome too.

This does bring back long forgotten memories.

Likely length of the action is std military. I assume there is no thumb slot on the left wall, but it has the military bolt shroud. I once had a later Heym called the Model 2000 in 7x64. Afraid I didn't think much of it and it went down the road after a short visit. How many 180 brands have you tried in it? I wouldn't give up on the weight too soon, its probably the best overall weight for the '06, though I like 200 as well.

Wow i wished I could find one of these. Wards ? Wow. The good old days when department stores sold stuff like this. Really really nice gun

Wow great find I hope it shoots straight for you.

Well I loaded some nosler 125s behind 52gs of RL15 and got some excellent groups, the wind was kicking up so it was tough to get in dialed in but I was able to Chronograph a touch over 2700fps out of the short barrel, not to shabby

Likely length of the action is std military. I assume there is no thumb slot on the left wall, but it has the military bolt shroud. I once had a later Heym called the Model 2000 in 7x64. Afraid I didn't think much of it and it went down the road after a short visit. How many 180 brands have you tried in it? I wouldn't give up on the weight too soon, its probably the best overall weight for the '06, though I like 200 as well.
I'm not so much interested in a heavy hitter as I am in a Fast Flat Shooter hopefully the 125s will give me both

Well depending on what you want to do with it... however 2700 with a 125 is about the same energy level as a .30-30 so it wont be a flat shooter for very far. You should easily be able to get 3200 fps out of that barrel, or even more. 125's wont carry energy very far either, be better off with a 150 or 165 at around 2900 to 3000 fps.

Well depending on what you want to do with it... however 2700 with a 125 is about the same energy level as a .30-30 so it wont be a flat shooter for very far. You should easily be able to get 3200 fps out of that barrel, or even more. 125's wont carry energy very far either, be better off with a 150 or 165 at around 2900 to 3000 fps.
at 52g of RL15 I'm loading light, I'll spend the next couple weeks experimenting with bullet weights and powder charges til I hit the sweet spot

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsmaelMorg

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg