30 06 and Barnes TSX

sareulet

Reaction score
Taking my best friends son on safari in June, he will be shooting a M70 featherweight in 30 06. Does any one have any info on the use of the Barnes TSX in 165gr or 180gr bullets and there performance on plains game. Biggest he will be after is Kudu. I want to shoot factory ammo...maybe Federal Premium TSX. I'm taking a Sako Mannlicher 375hh, probably won't shoot it, maybe a Zebra, it just has to go to Africa for its first time.

I cant give any info on the barnes bullet but I am sure others can help. The M70 30-06 featherweight will be great that is what I used in May. I paired MIne up with Hornady superformance 180 gr interbond. Worked great. Good luck!

I've used the tipped TSX 168g in my '06 to take: blesbok, black wildebeest, waterbuck, gemsbok, hartebeest, cheetah, and kudu. All one shot kills. Also took an eland that I shot twice over the objections of my PH- the second shot was totally unnecessary, but it was getting dark and it was the end of a long day and I wanted it down now. He was correct that the second shot was not needed, but I'm happy I took the insurance shot anyway. The only animal that gave me trouble was a zebra, but I somehow managed to shoot the wrong end of it, so I have only myself to blame.

My wife took a springbok, warthog, blue wildebeest, and impala with her 30-06 and the same ammo with the same performance that I had.

I used Cor-Bon ammo and am completely satisfied. I don't think you can go wrong with a TSX if it shoots in your rifle.

I've also used my own handloads with the older coated X bullet to good effect on a bison.

Thanks for the reply, I have numerous M70 featherweights, I just love those little rifles. Hope you enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine.

Thanks for the reply, in your opinion, do you think that there is much difference between the tipped TSX or the regular TSX? Who do you think has the best factory ammo for these loads? all info is appreciated, since I'll be purchasing allot of ammo just want to get it right the first time.

Well I prefer the tipped version because it deflects the wind better and will travel flatter over longer distances but either version works well. I think the Barne's and Federal factory loads are a great place to start.

I have only shot the tipped TSX. Does a great job. About 1 to 2 weeks ago there was another thread about bullets to use in Africa. You might search for it. Had lots of good info as well as a link to another post with pics. I used them in my &mm and my son used them in his .243 last May in Africa and had great success. Bruce

Thanks for all the advise, mind made up, federal premium Tipped TSX.

If you have not bought the ammo yet, then I will also recommend the Barnes VOR-TXï½® AMMUNITIONï½® with the tipped 168 grain bullet.
Usually very accurate in most guns.

I forgot to add that the tip initiates expansion of the bullet...more perfectly, which can help at times.

No problem with the 165gr TSX but maybe rather go for the tipped version like enysse said. TTSX

Thanks for the input, what bullet would you shoot out of the 375 hh, it will be at plains game.

I use only hand loaded 250gr Sierra Gamekings for all my hunting and have never had any problems with them at all. Very accurate in my .375 and they do the job well.

Thanks for the input, what bullet would you shoot out of the 375 hh, it will be at plains game.

I will try the 250 grain Barnes Tipped TSX BT with the BC of .424 in my 375 Ruger and see if I can get it to shoot well in my gun.
If so, I will use that on my PG hunt in 2012.

I am also looking at the NonCon bullet with a talon from CEB, but I guess I will wait for their Raptor version and see how that one will be, so I don't think I will use that one in 2012.

I think the 250 Grain Sierra Game Kings are ideal too. +1 But you were looking for a factory load.....I recommend the Barnes Vortex Safari 300 grain TSX-FB. I see Federal makes a cheap priced Power Shok bullet in the 270 and 300 gr. soft point for a great price that will kill any plains game cleanly....all were for the 375 H&H.

Hornady also has a good factory load for PG: 375 H&H 270 gr SP-RP Superformance

I must confess I'm not a big fan of a 250gr bullet out of a 375 H&H for me its like shooting a 140gr bullet out of a 30-06 I will rather use and have shot loads of game with the 270gr bullets especially in hornady interlock running at 2550 fps shooting from springbuck to blue wildebeest with ease.

I bought some of the Federal in 270 gr very cheap price. May use them to sight my new scope in with, then try some more premium bullets like the Barnes, a-frame or partitions. Shooting a Sako 375hh in mannlicher stock 18.5 inch barrel. The barrel is short and came from the factory. I did some research and most that use the shorter 375's shoot the 270 gr, some reviews stated the short barrel doen't do as well with the 300 gr or heavier, just have to put some time in at the range and see.

Let us know how they shoot. The Federal 270 gr. Power Shok will do the job for all plains game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KeithustKew

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg