30-06 220 Grain Bullets

Sure 220's work from an '06, but to my mind they are a solution to a problem that no longer exists. Modern premium 165's - 180's drive deep, are accurate, and are utterly reliable at '06 velocities. They also leave you shooting a rifle trajectory rather than that of a howitzer. When I am hunting a new environment, the best favor that I find that I can do myself is to ensure I use a premium bullet with sufficient SD/BC that extends my point blank range far as possible. Extra-heavy for caliber bullets (i.e. 220's in .30's or 350's in the .375) do the opposite and seem to me an unnecessary anachronism with today's technology.

All that said, if you have confidence in those 220's, use them.

Last edited:
On my first hunt in the Limpopo, I used the 200-grain Nosler Accubond. It performed well. The largest animal taken was a Southern Greater Kudu. One shot through the heart and definitely the best shot of the trip.
On the second hunt, in the Eastern Cape, I used the Hornady 180-grain GMX. The largest animal taken on that hunt was a Burchell's Zebra stallion. Frotal shot which hit the heart and stopped in the intestines.
The third trip, I used my NULA .338-06 with 210-grain Barnes TTSX. Largest animal taken was an Eland. Dropped him in place with the first shot, but it took a couple more rounds to finish him.
Both bullets shot accurately of my Forbes 24B .30-06. I have a tendency to obsess/worry over what is the best bullet to use, even when I know that I probably can't improve on what I'm using. My personal opinion is to use the 220's if they are accurate out of your rifle, but get a real world idea on drop within the ranges that you'll use them. Good luck and I look forward to seeing the hunt report.

Both bullets shot accurately of my Forbes 24B .30-06.

That's the reason I shoot 220 grain bullets in my 30-06. It's a re-chambered Mauser 1909 and therefore has a 7.65 mm bore. A heavy (preferably open base) projectile and a stiff load of 4350 powder causes the bullet to upset and fill the bore, and provides outstanding accuracy (granted, I shoot only open sights but they do group like a dream...the old, "if it ain't broke don't fix it" thing). Might try some 200 grain A-Frames some day. The all-copper jacket is more malleable than standard gilding metal and therefore would almost certainly work, maybe better (this is the reason the base of an A-Frame upsets as it does on impact...pure copper jacket). The Partitions have yet to be anything other than perfect, though (the 220 grain Remington loads are my inexpensive factory option...I buy the stuff by the case, 200 rounds at a pop).

By the way, I got the idea from a fella who used to load 220 Nosler Partitions in his .303 British. Same "problem", same solution.

Sure 220's work from an '06, but to my mind they are a solution to a problem that no longer exists. Modern premium 165's - 180's drive deep, are accurate, and are utterly reliable at '06 velocities. They also leave you shooting a rifle trajectory rather than that of a howitzer. When I am hunting a new environment, the best favor that I find that I can do myself is to ensure I use a premium bullet with sufficient SD/BC that extends my point blank range far as possible. Extra-heavy for caliber bullets (i.e. 220's in .30's or 350's in the .375) do the opposite and seem to me an unnecessary anachronism with today's technology.

All that said, if you have confidence in those 220's, use them.

As I said Joe someone did ask if I still used rocks.....but I like being an anachronism :E Big Grin::D Beers:

This thread simply proves to me what I think we all know already.

Some guys want to hunt with single shots. Some want to hunt with iron sights.

Some want to hunt with bows, and some want to hunt with cast bullets...or handguns.

Hunting is not always about finding the most efficient, deadly, versatile weapon system.

Sometimes (often?) it is about living dreams. And sometimes those dreams include using the tools of our youth, or the tools of our "heroes".

If you grew up reading the heavy-bullet in 30-06 exploits of Roosevelt, Whelen, Hemingway or Ruark (or the fiction of Russell Annabel, for that matter), then taking to the field with a facsimile of their tools might mean something to you.

So long as the line between reasonable and ridiculous isn't crossed, I say go for it!

I am certainly guilty of this myself!!

As I said Joe someone did ask if I still used rocks.....but I like being an anachronism :E Big Grin::D Beers:
Nope partner. You and I are old enough to be the genuine articles.

This thread simply proves to me what I think we all know already.

Some guys want to hunt with single shots. Some want to hunt with iron sights.

Some want to hunt with bows, and some want to hunt with cast bullets...or handguns.

Hunting is not always about finding the most efficient, deadly, versatile weapon system.

Sometimes (often?) it is about living dreams. And sometimes those dreams include using the tools of our youth, or the tools of our "heroes".

If you grew up reading the heavy-bullet in 30-06 exploits of Roosevelt, Whelen, Hemingway or Ruark (or the fiction of Russell Annabel, for that matter), then taking to the field with a facsimile of their tools might mean something to you.

So long as the line between reasonable and ridiculous isn't crossed, I say go for it!

I am certainly guilty of this myself!!

Yup;
I regret not buying a Winchester 1895 in 405 and using it on my lion hunt ;)

Yup;
I regret not buying a Winchester 1895 in 405 and using it on my lion hunt ;)

Those things help to connect the dots for us...and connect us to the past.

I guess you'll have to do another lion!

And as you know, there are some nice 1895s in .405 out there right now!! Case colors even! :)

I would consider a better quality and lighter bullet. I used 150gr TTSX in my 30-06. A Nosler Partition or Swift A-Frame would also be better. The core-lok bullets will work but a better bullet give a bigger margin in performance especially if a less than ideal shot
Just my 2 cents.
I'm with you on this. I would go with 180 gr. Barnes TTSX. Decent tragectory, 100% weight retention, great terminal performance under 300 yards.

I'm with you on this. I would go with 180 gr. Barnes TTSX. Decent tragectory, 100% weight retention, great terminal performance under 300 yards.

I was oh so close to using the 220gr Nosler on my 2015 hunt.

But being it was in the Eastern Cape, I broke down and went with the 180gr TTSX...which worked marvelously on everything from Jakal to Eland.

But the Nosler Pt was the premium bullet of my youth, and I always dreamed of making such a hunt with that bullet. I guess like Bob, I will just have to do it again and not succumb to common sense this time!

That 220 Partition seated way out in the H&H case is a thing of beauty!!

300 H&H 3.80 Inches.jpg

I like the 220 gr .308' bullets such as the WW Power Points and SilverTips, also the old Barnes 225 & 250 grain .032" jacket bullets; but I find that I prefer them in a 300 Weatherby to get a better trajectory and more often than not, if I going after something that needs that type of bullet I'll generally go with a 338 or 375 mag.

I like the 220 gr .308' bullets such as the WW Power Points and SilverTips, also the old Barnes 225 & 250 grain .032" jacket bullets; but I find that I prefer them in a 300 Weatherby to get a better trajectory and more often than not, if I going after something that needs that type of bullet I'll generally go with a 338 or 375 mag.

I think by bringing weatherby into it you kinda missed the point of what us pre supersonic neanderthals were on about ....:)

Oh my...

In the 50's through the 70's were knocking holes through animals with 220 grain bullets that came rolling out of their 06's and their battle cry was " ya gotta break their shoulders or they won't go down".

I saw some big beautiful deer with their front ends shot to pieces and not eatable in my book because a guy just had to " break it's shoulders" instead of taking that 22 foot shot to the neck and not ruining anything.

With so many great bullets out there these days there is simply no justification to shoving an overweight bullet into a 06 to go hunting with as you are gaining absolutely nothing at all ballistically.

I have been asked by people if I could load them 220 gr bullets in 308 and 30-06 and have simply said " no" and went about my business. They then went to 200 and got the same no as an answer.

At 180 it's yes to the 06 and no to the 08. With a 165 yes to both, same as with the 150's.

250 grain goes with a 30-378...

220 goes with the 300 Weatherby

200 goes with the 300 Winchester.

Sure! You can stuff lighter bullets in there but whereas you've gained shorter distance speed you're lost some of your long range consistency and knockdown power. And don't forget that we are talking shooting animals and killing them on the spot, not hitting something and just wounding it.

I have had a person ask me to machine them 600 gr soilds for them and load up a 458 with them. The answer was no. If he wanted them in a ,460 then sure...no problem.

The same goes with 350/ 375's out of a 375 H&H. A big no as that would be taking a step backwards ballistically. In a 378 Weatherby....sure!

With every different round there is always one round that is the best ballistically. In the 30-06 the 220 grain bullet doesn't even come close to being "the one" no matter what you do to it.

You have missed the point Von.

It isn't just about ballistics. If it was, we'd all be shooting the same thing.

It is part spiritual, part poetry, part psychology, part zen.

Get yourself into the lotus position and hum with me now....

;)

Has anyone used Hornady 30 Cal. 150 grain solids for the small stuff?

Light, solids...?

Pelts.
Here you guys are lucky and debating about bullet weight. We in India are like beggars left with no choice you buy what is available of the factory production (imported). Some time it's difficult to even buy simple 180 grs no choice. In a year only 50 ammo. Price per ammo 7/10 dollar. Good rifle anything from 10,000 to 30,000 dollars. This are bolt action prices. God bless you all.

I was oh so close to using the 220gr Nosler on my 2015 hunt.

But being it was in the Eastern Cape, I broke down and went with the 180gr TTSX...which worked marvelously on everything from Jakal to Eland.

But the Nosler Pt was the premium bullet of my youth, and I always dreamed of making such a hunt with that bullet. I guess like Bob, I will just have to do it again and not succumb to common sense this time!

That 220 Partition seated way out in the H&H case is a thing of beauty!!

View attachment 261305
Ok. But will it fit in your magazine?

You have missed the point Von.

It isn't just about ballistics. If it was, we'd all be shooting the same thing.

It is part spiritual, part poetry, part psychology, part zen.

Get yourself into the lotus position and hum with me now....

;)
Guys I can get all spiritual about a Paradox, about a .318 WR, about a Cashmore pigeon gun - heck, even a model 12 in a duck blind - but a bleeding bullet made last week?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cazhino90

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg