30-06 180gr h4350

gatekeeper

AH member
Reaction score
Member of
NRA
Looking to see what everyone is loading for this combo and what kind of velocities you are getting. I don't have a chronograph yet, but am planning on purchasing one very soon. I have been loading 56gr. and am guessing this to be around 2750fps out of a 24" barrel? Seems to be a very capable load. Also, does anyone see an advantage to using a 200gr. Accubond over the 180gr version for plains game, for use including the larger game like wildebeest and zebra. Thanks

I shot every thing from springbok to eland with 180gr. nosler partitions in a 300rcm loaded to 2815fps. I think my old hornady book shows your load in a 24in. barrel to be getting 2800fps.

Gatekeeper, the Accubond is a much tougher bullet than the partition and needs more velocity I would think to expand well. JMO, but I’d use either the 180 or even better the 200 grain Partition. Maybe someone else has more experience with the Accubond?

Looking to see what everyone is loading for this combo and what kind of velocities you are getting. I don't have a chronograph yet, but am planning on purchasing one very soon. I have been loading 56gr. and am guessing this to be around 2750fps out of a 24" barrel? Seems to be a very capable load. Also, does anyone see an advantage to using a 200gr. Accubond over the 180gr version for plains game, for use including the larger game like wildebeest and zebra. Thanks
Back when I had a .30-06 (many years ago) I used IMR 4350 in it (almost identical to H4350 and made by the same company). A 180 grain cup-and-core bullet should be up into the 2,650-2,750 range with the load you mention. It is hard to make a guess without knowing what bullet you are shooting exactly. You make mention of the Accubond but don't say whether that is in fact what you are shooting. Hodgdon is showing 2,798 with a Sierra SPBT which will almost surely be slower than you would get with a flat base bullet. A flat base would likely increase the pressure due to the longer bearing surface. Make that a Partition or an A-frame and chamber pressure and corresponding velocity continue to rise to a point due to the web and heavier construction of the bullet. You are pretty close to Hodgdon's max (57.5 grains) so I would be careful with bullet selection. Shooting a heavy jacketed, bonded bullet with a straight shank may put you up into the 65,000-75,000psi range pretty quick. The Accubond is also a pretty heavily constructed bullet and almost certainly going to be tougher to ram down the bore than the Sierra that Hodgdon lists. At this point, I would begin at their starting load of 52.0 grains and load 2 rounds each at 52, 53, 54, 55, 56 and 57 grains until you zero in on either max pressure or the velocity you are looking for. Unless of course that is how you arrived a 56 grains, in which case, please ignore everything I have said to this point.

As @Ridgewalker mentioned, The Accubond is a pretty tough bullet. He already recommended the partition which is a sound choice. The only other one I will mention is the Woodleigh 200 grain. They have a fairly heavy jacket and are bonded nose to base and would work well on most plains game you are likely to encounter.

The other point I would make is that a whole lot of plains game has been killed with 200 grain .303 british loads moving 2,200 fps. I personally would be happy with a 180 grain bullet at 2,600fps with mild pressure that shot well. Settle on a load that has enough velocity to expand at 300 yards and leave it there. Another 100 fps is not going to make it shoot any flatter or kill any deader. It might get you an additional 25-50 yards of viable expansion distance but you can stalk that away on your approach. Best of luck on your hunt!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graciehayward01

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg