3 Cartridge to Hunt Worldwide

Reading the article, the author is clear that dropping down from a 375 is recommended only for NA. For me it’s 223, 30-06, 375, 12G, withe 22 and 308 for relatively inexpensive practice

7mm REM Mag
9.3x62
450-400 3”
Go big or go home!

Do you hunt any smaller game or do you always need to start here?

@Buffalo1

To be technically correct you could say 12 gauge cartridge. They come in several lengths with different loads.

They would be fired in a "Gun" chambered for the 12 gauge cartridge, not all shotguns are chambered for the 3" 12gauge cartridge.

The thread specifies Cartridge so you can include the 12gauge cartridge in the selection.

We all hunt different things in different terrain and even define hunting differently. I hunt pigs on foot walking creek lines. I also look at it as shooting, I shoot them as pests and will shoot them from the car where I can, Culling, Shooting pest management.
When I worked in the bush I often said I was going for a walk. My wife knew this meant I was walking up the creek hoping to shoot a pig and I would be indoors arounddark to call home. Sometimes I shot a one or more pigs, sometimes none. But that's hunting! Sometimes you get nothing, except the incentive to take a rifle for walk and exercise.

CBH AUSTRALIA,

You are very fortunate to be able to go for an "evening stroll" on a creek bank and hunt/shoot a pig or two. What a great daily treat that would be !! WOW

I don't understand your question- "Do you hunt any smaller game or do you always need to start here?" If I understood I do my best to try to respond.

"Small game" in USA is totally different than say in Africa. In NA that could be squirrel, rabbit, opossum, armadillo or raccoon for examples.

'Small game' in Africa could include a member of the Tiny 10, small cats, vervet monkey, or jackals for examples.

Having never hunted Australia, I have no idea what would be considered "small game." Small game can differ depending on location.

"You always need to start here"- where is "here"? My "here" is in the USA, your "here" is in Australia. So where is "here"? "Here"can be a relative word. "Here" can change relative to where one's location.

I have been around all different many calibers and gauges of rifles, guns and pistols. Have shot and used many caliber and gauges of rifles, guns and pistols. But my hunting weapon of choice is a bow and arrow which I primarily use when hunting. I would love to be in a position to take on the challenge of stalking pigs every afternoon after dinner ! What a thrill ! You are most fortunate.

Good hunting,
Buffalo1

CBH AUSTRALIA,

You are very fortunate to be able to go for an "evening stroll" on a creek bank and hunt/shoot a pig or two. What a great daily treat that would be !! WOW

I don't understand your question- "Do you hunt any smaller game or do you always need to start here?" If I understood I do my best to try to respond.

"Small game" in USA is totally different than say in Africa. In NA that could be squirrel, rabbit, opossum, armadillo or raccoon for examples.

'Small game' in Africa could include a member of the Tiny 10, small cats, vervet monkey, or jackals for examples.

Having never hunted Australia, I have no idea what would be considered "small game." Small game can differ depending on location.

"You always need to start here"- where is "here"? My "here" is in the USA, your "here" is in Australia. So where is "here"? "Here"can be a relative word. "Here" can change relative to where one's location.

I have been around all different many calibers and gauges of rifles, guns and pistols. Have shot and used many caliber and gauges of rifles, guns and pistols. But my hunting weapon of choice is a bow and arrow which I primarily use when hunting. I would love to be in a position to take on the challenge of stalking pigs every afternoon after dinner ! What a thrill ! You are most fortunate.

Good hunting,
Buffalo1
You list 7mmRm as the smallest of your list.
That's why I said go big or go home, lol.

Do you hunt small game or do you need the 7mmRm as a minimum?

In order to be technically correct- a gauge is not a cartridge. However to hunt the world I still stand by my 3 choices. I included a 12 gauge because there are certain game animals and birds that can and should be hunted with a shotgun, rather than with a rifle or pistol.

It is much more practical to hunt some of the tiny antelopes of Africa with a shotgun rather than a cartridge due to size and cover. Also, a shotgun is carried by many Ph's to follow up on a leopard after being shot with a cartridge.

Thanks
Put a slug in a shotgun and you have a rifle. Damned effective out to 100 yds.

Some confusion above.

It was @Rell who listed 7mm as the smallest of his choice of 3 cartridges and @Buffalo1 responded.

It's relevant to opportunity at time I get to shoot a bit and not so much lately.

America seems to be portrayed as having this Massive Gun Culture but what I'm getting from what I read is the Hunting opportunity is seasonal, requires Tags and can be expensive. Making options limited.

Australian politicians try sell that we don't want to go down the American path with the gun culture. So that's why they took our semi autos.

A 7mm Rem with a Solid could take care of any small stuff I want to shoot.

I shoot about 3,000 game birds a year between geese, ducks, pheasant, quail, partridge, doves and pigeons. I can’t live without my 12g Jubilee nor my 28g Jubilee. Assumed this was about rifle cartridges.

5,6x57
8x68S
10,75x73

:cool:

HWL

I figure I could hunt anything worldwide with just two cartridges, 12 ga and .375 H&H. But I'd prefer to add something for small game up to 10 kg. weight at moderate range - for me that's .22 win. mag rimfire territory. Interesting how many of these discussions omit small game hunting. Especially when more small game are shot than big game, worldwide. It's just not as "popular" to discuss small game hunting. And for longer range and moderate "deer" size animals, the .375 is a bit much and a bit slow. A .270 would be as good a choice as any, although I prefer the 7x64 for that job.

7x57
.375 H&H
Logical, bit the .222 doesn't get much mention now in Australia.
The .223 has taken over in the new sales Department some time ago.
.22 LR
.300 win
.375 h&h
Would like one shotgun too.
Add endless Ammo or components and I'll be fine.
That'll do it. It's ok they are still making ammo it's just to see what selection might cover the bases.

I already made up my mind , when I went on my first African Safari in 1974 .

Small Caliber : .243 Winchester ( for use on the Tiny Ten )
Medium Caliber : .30-06 Springfield ( for use on the plains game )
Large Caliber : .375 Holland & Holland Magnum ( for use on the dangerous game )

The above combination ( along with a nice 12 Gauge side by side shotgun ) has never let me down in any of the Safaris that I’ve gone on over the years . If I was a white hunter , then I’d really like to add a .505 Gibbs to the set up . As a charge stopper when I’m in dense cover , and something big and dangerous is inbound .

The world is a big place and sometimes the rifle has to also match the terrain, weather and range as much as the game.

Legalities aside ....

.243W
6.5PRC/6.5x68
9.3x62

Cannot be done with 3.....

500Jeff/500 NE
375 H&H/375 Flanged Magnum/9.3×74R
7x57mm/7x57R
12ga

4 would be bare bones minimum......

If truely only 1

375H&H/375 Flanged Magnum

But you will need to know your chosen weapon and caliber very well as well as exact shot placement.....

.416 Rigby
.300 Win Mag
12 ga. 3" or .22 L.R.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross