280 Remington, how boring

I’ve been shooting the 280 Remington since the late 1980s and 280 Ackley for 10-12 years....have shot bullets from 120 Barnes to 168 VLDS and all have been “Big Medicine” for whitetail and hogs in my operation! I’m currently shooting 143 Hammer Hunters in my 280 Rem and 131 Hammer Hunters and 168 Berger VLDs in my 280 Ackley! If I could only have one rifle to hunt Texas, it would be one of these two!

I have to shake my head and wonder every time I read one of my gun magazines. They all have some article about some brand new out- of- this- world geewhiz boomblaster that in my mind pretty much echos a caliber from long ago. It may have a different name and look like something from a science fiction yarn but ballistically it's about the same. All my guns except my 5.56 and 6.5CR are nearly as old or older than I am. I got the 5.56 for 3 gun competition a few decades ago and the 6.5CR for a lightweight low recoil pg and long range target and practice gun.

it can be interesting to compare sectional densities of 7mm bullets and 30 cal.
120 gn 7mm is a little less, but similar to 150 gn 308.
7mm 140 gn is almost spot on 165 gn 308.
7mm 150 gn is a bit less than 180 gn 308.
7mm 160 gn is similar to 190 gn 308.
7mm 175 gn is a bit more than 200 gn 308.
take this for what it is worth, but using bullets of similar construction would suggest similar performance terminally.
b.c of 7mm bullets of the same s.d as the 30 cal is a bit higher, allowing them to hang on a bit more.
and 7mm recoil is a bit less. (for similar velocities.)
we tend to think we need controlled expansion for all shooting, but something like the sierra 140 gn is a surprisingly effective bullet on smaller deer species and pigs in the 280.
it can fail in the 7mm stw.
bruce.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dee

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross