280 Rem for plains game

Just Passing Through

AH senior member
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA Patron Member, SCI, IWLA
What do you fellows think of using a .280 Remington with 160 grain TSX bullets for plains game up to the size of kudu? Please don't bother with the responses about proper shot placement, consider the shot to be good and the angle acceptable.

Will work well. You need to bring your own ammo over, hard to find here.
What do you fellows think of using a .280 Remington with 160 grain TSX bullets for plains game up to the size of kudu? Please don't bother with the responses about proper shot placement, consider the shot to be good and the angle acceptable.

It would be more than adequate for game up to kudu and even beyond. One of the better gun writers, the late Finn Aagaard from Kenya originally used the metric version the 7x64 for all plains game for years and spoke very highly of it. With a 160 Nosler or Barnes it will do work very well with proper shot placement as always.

This particular .280 is a tackdriver (almost as good as the average "internet rifle"), and there will be a .375 with it in the rifle case for eland. This trip is to a location in Northern Namibia, plains game only.

It will kill all, including Eland.

Thanks for the opinions. It is appreciated.

This particular .280 is a tackdriver (almost as good as the average "internet rifle"), and there will be a .375 with it in the rifle case for eland. This trip is to a location in Northern Namibia, plains game only.

I shoot a custom 280AI I built and it is the hand of god with 160 Accubonds, Not bringing it because of the barrel is marked 280AI and my ammo says 280, so birnging my 300RUM for my trip in May along with 375 H&H for Lion.

I use Barnes as well but my 280 no like so good luck and have fun.

The 280 Rem. will work just fine.

What do you folks think about the same rifle using 150 grain TTSX? The sectional density is getting a bit low but the Barnes usually penetrates well, I just don't know how much faster the tipped version opens than the TSX.
Thanks.
JPT

I use both the TSX and TTSX in Alaska those Dead Moose couldn't tell me the difference.

What do you folks think about the same rifle using 150 grain TTSX? The sectional density is getting a bit low but the Barnes usually penetrates well, I just don't know how much faster the tipped version opens than the TSX.
Thanks.
JPT

As copied from Lead Free Bullets | Barnes Bullets

TSX Bullets All-copper Triple-Shock X Bullets are top-rated by PHs, guides and experienced hunters. Multiple rings cut into the bullet's shank reduce pressures, minimize fouling and significantly improve accuracy. Very user friendly.

Tipped TSX Bullets The Tipped TSX features a 100-percent copper body with rings cut into the shank. A polymer tip boosts BC, improves long-range ballistics, and provides even faster expansions. Exceptional accuracy and penetration. Definitely sounds like one for Africa.

Thanks.
JPT

I shot 140,150 & 160 in my AI had the best clean kills with the 160 accubonds, we had 2 elk that the TSX did not open this year, it is a twin to my gun, tricked out and full reloads, may be just one of those things but I now bringing mine for plains, got the Nosler headstamp 280AI so we can compare noted when we done :cool:

I like the energy of heavier bullet

Tipped TSX Bullets The Tipped TSX features a 100-percent copper body with rings cut into the shank. A polymer tip boosts BC, improves long-range ballistics, and provides even faster expansions. Exceptional accuracy and penetration. Definitely sounds like one for Africa.

The 150 TTSX grain is plenty for Africa.

Just start posting the pictures of the trophies with your 280 on your return.
Get the tracker/skinner to try and find those TTSX in the animals.
Good luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnT3006

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg