Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Australia/NZ
Member of
SSAA
Hunted
Australia, Zimbabwe, RSA (2), NZ (2), UK.
I haven't seen anything on here about the .270 Winchester yet.

I believe it is quite common in South Afrca.
What projectile works on the larger PG ? Blue Wildebeest etc.. No doubt the Barnes and A-Frame bullets will work as would the other Mono-metals. Any experience ?

I haven't seen anything on here about the .270W yet.

I believe it is quite common in South Afrca.
What projectile works on the larger PG ? Blue Wildebeest etc.. No doubt the Barnes and A-Frame bullets will work as would the other Mono-metals. Any experience ?

No direct experience, but I saw a lady on Tracks take a zebra with a .270. Prior to living in Arizona I lived in Idaho. I knew a couple there that had been hunting elk for 50 plus years. Between the husband and wife they probably killed more elk than most people will ever see, mostly with a .270.

I don't think I'd try to bring down an Eland with one, but I wouldn't doubt it's been done. Outside of those big guys, I don't think I'd hesitate to use a .270 if that's what I shot accurately.

Code 4,

amongst many of the smaller PG, i have also hunted a lot of Oryx and kudu here in Namibia sucessfully with my .270 loaded with 150 gr PMP Pro Am soft nose ammunition.

Personally i will not go broadside for Eland with the .270 - however with premium bullets it debatable - i guess should you be a crack shot with a .270 up to 250 yds i can see that other hunters will take Eland as well with this cal. Personally i considder cal 300 the minimum for going after the daddy of African antelope.

The .270 Win is indeed very popular in SA.

My perception is that resident hunters who own a .270 as their only rifle, use mostly 150gr soft points to hunt plains game on the plains and in the bushveld, and they take anything with it, including Eland if nothing more suitable is available. Resident hunters who have more rifles than only a .270, predominently use their .270's with 130gr soft points for longer range shooting at small to medium game only. As I said, that is my perception.

I, for instance, use my .270 as a light long range rifle only and I use only 130 gr bullets with it. I use it typically as a springbuck rifle (although it is much more versatile).

I further use my .30-06 only with 180 grainers, my .300 Win Mag only with 200 grainers and my .375 only with 300 grainers, all for appropriate purposes for that combination. But, resident hunters normally travel by car and do not have to cross borders, a distinct advantage.

But I would say that if one excludes giraffe (and maybe eland but definitely all pachyderms), and one uses very good premium bullets when required, the .270 Win is not far behind the .30-06 as far as versatility is concerned.

Hi guys,

I cannot agree more with regards to versatily. With a good bullet and good shot placement the .270 performs very well and it is not far behind the 30-06. If it is your rifle and you are familiar with it, it will do well. Have seen good hunters with unfamiliar rifles not having success.

I took a very good size bluewildebeest at 220m and 150gr soft point bullet, no problem. I also know guys who have taken eland, but again shot placement and good amunition.

You might try searching for for threads on the .270. There was a thread that went on for several months that talked about the .270 for PG. A lot of posts w/ bullet info. Bruce

I started a thread about the .270 for pg. At certain times the thread is more of an arguement than a discussion, but that is what makes it fun I guess.

150 gr A-frame it is capable to take Eland and the other tough plains game

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MollieTwop

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg