.270 vs 7*57 Which is the best???

Take your pick. Tamatoe, Tomato. 270 faster, flatter, but lighter bullets. If you have a modern action rifle and reload it give you a greater potential for the usefulness of the 7x57. I have both but use them for different purposes.

They are both great calibers. For Zim, I would go with the 7x57 as it handles heavier bullets well.

I’m a fan of heavy for caliber bullets. I shoot 175gr out of both my Rigby and Proctor 7/57s. I wasn’t aware that it’s possible to get 160 grain bullets for a 270 but the extra 25 grains over the more usual 150 grain bullet in a 270 does it for me.
the recoil in a 7x57 is also relatively mild and I’m a guy that hates recoil and loathes zeroing his 375 off a bench. When there’s fur in front of the reticle I don’t have a problem.

What make and model are the two rifles? If the 270 were a Remington 783 and the 7x57 were a Mauser there may be an obvious answer.

I'd be fine with a Rem 700 BDL in 270 or a 7x57 in a Mauser (not a sporterized one) rifle. A 270 shooting factory 130g bullets doesn't kick much, my sons started on mine at 9 years old. It really depends on the make and condition of the rifles, hard to go wrong with either caliber.

Both are really good calibres . The .270 Winchester traditionally uses bullets weighing up to 150 grains . The 7x57 mm Mauser typically uses bullets weighing up to 175 grains .

If you are limited to American ammunition brands only , then I will recommend the .270 Winchester . When I hunted my first mule deer in the United States in 1980 , I used a 7x57 mm Mauser which a friend had lent me ( it was a BRNO ZKK - 600 ) . I was given some Winchester Super X 175 grain cup & core soft nosed factory loads . I was not very impressed with the velocity ( they were OK for the small Texas whitetail deer , however ) . Over the years , I came to realize that American ammunition brands ( such as Winchester , Remington and Federal ) tend to significantly reduce the powder charge in their factory loads for the European calibres ( such as 7x57 mm Mauser and 8x57 mm Mauser ) . However , they always load their American calibre offerings ( such as .270 Winchester ) to their full potential.

But South African PMP / Pro Amm ammunition for the 7x57 mm Mauser is exceptionally good ( especially the 170 grain soft nosed loads ) . It is loaded to the correct velocity and you will be very pleased with it . If you have access to European and South African ammunition brands , then I would strongly recommend the 7x57 mm Mauser .
View attachment 366927
I agree with you Professor Mawla.

I'd be fine with a Rem 700 BDL in 270 or a 7x57 in a Mauser (not a sporterized one) rifle. A 270 shooting factory 130g bullets doesn't kick much, my sons started on mine at 9 years old. It really depends on the make and condition of the rifles, hard to go wrong with either caliber.

Exactly. Both cartridges fill similar roles in different ways. Without knowing the platform I wouldn’t spend my money. As originally posed, the question is like asking if he should buy a used SUV with a 4.3l V6 or 4.0l V6.

7x57 because it can handle heavier bullets. I too like heavy for caliber ammo. Believe the 7x57 will be easier on the kids' shoulder as well.

Edit: Don't know how old or the size of the kids, but you might also consider the 7x64 as, IMO, it gives more flexibility and is something they can grow into...recoil isn't bad either.

Last edited:
270 as it’s more powerful.
The difference I might add is negligible.
But I’ve been a 270 fan for 40 years and the factory ammo is always available.

The OP is in Zim. I’d take a 7x57 with 175 gr bullets over a .270 in any loading for that application. Now a WY antelope hunt, that’s a different answer!

There are two rifles for sale a 270 and a 7*57 but my dad doesn't know which to get. They are the same price and the 7*57 has lost most its bluing. It is desired for game up to kudu'ish and for the range for kids between 10 and 12.
Please help with this dilemma.
@Bobjan Boy.
What brands are the rifle and what condition are they in bore wise. Depending on make and condition I would take the 7mm any day. If it's in good Nick nod you want more punch that the 57 you can always run a 7x64 reamer into it.
Bob

this damn thread!!!!!!

I've got a sweet little 7x57 built on a SR mauser action in the safe.. I snatched the scope off of it and put the scope on a Ruger M77 in 308 a few months back.. because I hunt with the 308 more often, and really like the zeiss optic I had mounted on the 7x57...

Now Im wanting to get the 7x57 out of the safe, take it to the range, and possibly take it on a couple of deer hunts this year...

Which means.. I now need to spend money on another optic...

you guys and all of your 7x57 love are costing me money!

:)

Used guns, I'd take both to the range and see how they shoot. Ballistic wise, like others said, tomatoes, tomatos.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leonslab

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.