257 Weatherby on cape buffalo?

In one of the previous posts, they said it was a 117 gr hornady soft point
I think that it was speculation on the posters post that it was a 117 gr Hornady but it could be since Weatherby ammo was only loaded with Hornady bullets.

But with Weatherby's resources any bullet that was available at the time including machined brass ones are a possibility.

A cousin of mine who married into the Barnes bullets family had some 300 gr. 429 bullets that never made it to the public, but quite a few animals fell to them

@CoElkHunter
Y'all shouldn't be huntin anythang with that little bitty 338. Dang it's ony a few steps above the 243 and the 6.5 mabun.
Git you self a reel gun there boy. Git a 375H&H or a 458WM to hunt them cape buffeler.
But in reality a 275gn in the 338 should handle them if it was legal
Ha! Ha! Ha! Well Bob, I would think a 250gr Swift, Barnes or Woodleigh in my .338 WINCHESTER MAGNUM would kill a Cape Buffalo, Banteng, Water Buffalo, Scrub Bull or anything similar, at reasonable distances (less than 4K?) with a 50 power scope! If not, a .458 BMG (not military, so legal) would be in order. LOL

I think that it was speculation on the posters post that it was a 117 gr Hornady but it could be since Weatherby ammo was only loaded with Hornady bullets.

But with Weatherby's resources any bullet that was available at the time including machined brass ones are a possibility.

A cousin of mine who married into the Barnes bullets family had some 300 gr. 429 bullets that never made it to the public, but quite a few animals fell to them
I'm sure 'ol Roy used his Weatherby factory ammo for more promotional purposes? I just can't see how that Hornady (probably RN) held up at that velocity on a Cape Buffalo body shot. Apparently, from some of the posts here, not great?

As someone who’s a huge .257 Weatherby fan, I think it could be done but wouldn’t suggest it. I’ll stick with my .375 H&H or even the .500NE I want to use on my next buffalo.

I’m personally considering shooting something other than my .257wby on my upcoming Elk Hunt in the Gila, but if I had to shoot a buffalo with it shooting a factory 100gr TTSX @ 3570 or handloaded 115gr TTSX at 3600 fps + would be my bullet choice. I think it would have enough energy to punch in there, but I’d personally take a Spine/Brain shot, or something avoiding most of the bone mass and rely on that round to penetrate deeply, but you’re talking precision accuracy and likely only getting 1 small hole with no exit.

As someone who’s a huge .257 Weatherby fan, I think it could be done but wouldn’t suggest it. I’ll stick with my .375 H&H or even the .500NE I want to use on my next buffalo.

I’m personally considering shooting something other than my .257wby on my upcoming Elk Hunt in the Gila, but if I had to shoot a buffalo with it shooting a factory 100gr TTSX @ 3570 or handloaded 115gr TTSX at 3600 fps + would be my bullet choice. I think it would have enough energy to punch in there, but I’d personally take a Spine/Brain shot, or something avoiding most of the bone mass and rely on that round to penetrate deeply, but you’re talking precision accuracy and likely only getting 1 small hole with no exit.
A little bit off topic, but I was looking for the 115gr TTSX for my .25-06, but I don't see Barnes offering it anymore? I have found 100gr TTSXs, but not 115gr.? Maybe I'm mistaken?

A little bit off topic, but I was looking for the 115gr TTSX for my .25-06, but I don't see Barnes offering it anymore? I have found 100gr TTSXs, but not 115gr.? Maybe I'm mistaken?
You can get TSX but not TTSX in 115 gr.

My 25-06 shoots 100gr TTSX just fine at 3300 fps

You’re correct, the 115 pills are a TSX.

I’ve personally wanted to try some of the 131gr ACE pills to see how they shoot but don’t think my barrel will stabilize them.

Why not the TTSX in 115gr.? I would think the TSX would be used in larger calibers where it wouldn't need to open up as quickly? I used the 180gr. TTSX in .300WM for my PG hunt. I'll call Barnes tomorrow and find out why?

@CoElkHunter
Unfortunately they didn't make a 115gn TTSX just a TSX.

@CoElkHunter
Unfortunately they didn't make a 115gn TTSX just a TSX.
Yes, but the question is why? They have larger calibers in TTSX? I'm calling Barnes tomorrow for what that's worth. I'll give them your name and number Bob and tell them the hunters in OZ are about to riot over no 115gr. .257 TTSXs! LOL

Essentially since the 100 grain TTSX will expand and do the same damage as a 115 gr cup and core bullet there s no need for a 115 grain one. But you can always use the 115 grain TSX Bullet if you want one in 115 grains.

I used the X and TSX bullets in my .340 before the TTSX came out and had no complaints with them, I went with the TTSX because I think that they look cooler than ones without a plastic tip. They both shoot to the same point of impact out of my rifle using the same loading.

Yes, but the question is why? They have larger calibers in TTSX? I'm calling Barnes tomorrow for what that's worth. I'll give them your name and number Bob and tell them the hunters in OZ are about to riot over no 115gr. .257 TTSXs! LOL
Not sure but my 300WM only likes the 180gr TSX not the 180gr TTSX. I need to play around with it more to get the TTSX to shoot.

If I could get a 115gr TTSX I certainly would. A 15% increase in mass at the same velocities is an extra 425+ ft.lbs of KE. Add in a better BC and slightly better expansion … I’m 100% in

I'm satisfied with the performance of the 100 grain TTSX out of my 25-06. I had a one shot kill on my coues with it at 420 yards with a complete pass through. I have shot 2 mule deer bucks at around 200 yards each and both of them were one shot kills with it.

Bring on the duga boys..:LOL:

Not sure but my 300WM only likes the 180gr TSX not the 180gr TTSX. I need to play around with it more to get the TTSX to shoot.

If I could get a 115gr TTSX I certainly would. A 15% increase in mass at the same velocities is an extra 425+ ft.lbs of KE. Add in a better BC and slightly better expansion … I’m 100% in
Yeah, I had never used Barnes bullets before my African PG hunt this past June. In my .300WM, I hate to say it for fear of a "heresy" post, but the 180gr. TTSXs seemed almost overkill? I've never seen a bullet drop game with a less than perfect shot like the Barnes. Really amazing! I'm sold on them and WANT a 115gr. .257 TTSX! LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KathrinMcG

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!