257 Weatherby on cape buffalo?

i can see it now a man facing a pissed off big tusker charge at 30 yards with a 99 savage in .22 high power, he will have 20 seconds or less left on this earth before being ground into it.
Maybe he's shooting it from a treestand? LOL

i have heard that at some point in the 40-50s Roy Weatherby shot and harvested a cape buffalo with a 257 Weatherby magnum. I think its an interesting story and I want to hear some view points.
@gajie270
He even took a Rhino with the 257 Weatherby if my memory serves me well.

i feel the same way about 223 on whitetail
On my recent hunt @spike.t handed me a .22 hornet rifle and said "I need a Puku for the pot." Once shot between the eyes it dropped right there with no meat spoilage. They weigh between 150 - 180 pounds, so I'd assume a .223 would do the trick as well for a whitetail.

By the way I really liked the BRNO .22 Hornet with the double set trigger, really nice. If I found a left handed one I'd jump on it.

Last edited:
there are better rifles for cape buffalo. some one shot a tiger with a savage 99 in 22 high power in india, savage ran a ad bragging it up.

What did the ad say ‘our customer is an idiot’?

Ha! Ha! As I was reading this thread, I was hoping someone would post this. I knew you would come through @fourfive8!
@CoElkHunter
I told you the 25s were good. Dang almost 100 years ago they knew that.
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
Good yes, miracle caliber no way
Bob

My answer is no. When I started hunting Africa I was told Big, Fat, and Slow is the bullet you need to be successful. I am a believer!
@MT Griz
That sums up the description of some hunters as well. I'm one of them but you need to add old to go with it.
Ha ha ha ha
Bob

there are better rifles for cape buffalo. some one shot a tiger with a savage 99 in 22 high power in india, savage ran a ad bragging it up.
@leslie hetrick
I think Major Khan wrote of a person that did the same thing but he ended up very very dead. Unfortunately so did his guide. I think he was hung for not protecting his client.

On my recent hunt @spike.t handed me a .22 hornet rifle and said "I need a Puku for the pot." Once shot between the eyes it dropped right there with no meat spoilage. They weigh between 150 - 180 pounds, so I'd assume a .223 would do the trick as well for a whitetail.

By the way I really liked the BRNO .22 Hornet with the double set trigger, really nice. If I found a left handed one I'd jump on it.

Those Brno ZKWs are wonderful rifles. Basically a scaled up Mod1 .22. Often in RSA they are ruined by having suppressers fitted. One day I’ll find a nice original one.

Personally, hunting buffalo with anything less then 375 or 9.3, I would consider exhibitionism. Certainly doable, but not legal and without solid reason for that considering the number of available appropriate calibers on market..

I’ll be very comfortable lining a big old cantankerous bull up with a .350 Rigby, .333 Jeffery or .318 WR without feeling like an exhibitionist.

In previous era, Bell shot elephants with 7x57.

Weatherby exploits in Africa had to be observed in context of time, and through his own personality (his favourite cartirdidge was 257 Wby, which he needed to prove badly).
He needed proof for his new brainchild, and secondly and probably there was no official regulations about calibers to be used for DG. So, most probaly he did it

Modern best industry practice denies both of them: Bells approach (light fast Bullet), and similar approach of Roy Weatherby (lighter and more faster bullet, on warp speed).

The modern rules of hunting DG (buffalo) are clear: minimum 375 H&H, and in some countries or areas, acceptable minimum is 9.3. Thats it, that is modern best industry practice, where tradition had brought us.
Personally, hunting buffalo with anything less then 375 or 9.3, I would consider exhibitionism. Certainly doable, but not legal and without solid reason for that considering the number of available appropriate calibers on market..
I've never hunted DG anywhere. I understand a .375 or 9.3x62 is the minimum in Africa for DG, depending on the country hunted. Then on here, I've seen videos and photos of a knucklehead hunting Cape Buffalo with a 10mm pistol, a rancher going after a wounded buffalo with a .30-06 after it was gut shot the previous day with a CROSSBOW, and now hunting lions and buffalo with AIR GUNS! So, which is it? .375 or anything goes if your making a video? Apparently, I couldn't hunt DG in Africa with my .338WM (not that I would), so maybe I need to get an .375 airgun? LOL

I've never hunted DG anywhere. I understand a .375 or 9.3x62 is the minimum in Africa for DG, depending on the country hunted. Then on here, I've seen videos and photos of a knucklehead hunting Cape Buffalo with a 10mm pistol, a rancher going after a wounded buffalo with a .30-06 after it was gut shot the previous day with a CROSSBOW, and now hunting lions and buffalo with AIR GUNS! So, which is it? .375 or anything goes if your making a video? Apparently, I couldn't hunt DG in Africa with my .338WM (not that I would), so maybe I need to get an .375 airgun? LOL
You’ll notice all these stunts listed are in the same country. Standards are higher elsewhere.

I would not advocate either, but I’d far prefer the 7x57. Bell was shooting solids with fantastic sectional density at very modest velocities, almost certainly sub 2,300 fps.
This exactly! Bell used a perfect combination for deep penetration. The 257 with a soft bullets at over 3000 fps is exactly the opposite.

Keith Warren (with his TV crew from The High Road) went to Africa and shot a Cape Buffalo from a blind with a .50 caliber airgun using a bolt (arrow). He also had to wait for the perfect shot to be available, something he would have a much harder time doing if stalking. It looked like the distance was less than 30 yards, Keith hit the shoulder and it dropped maybe 30 yards away.

IMO - The primary reason for this was to sell air rifles. Not necessarily for hunting Cape Buffalo, but if it will take them down, it will work for nearly any other animal. Secondly...it's legal and Keith Warren is all about making sure everyone knows that. Third is plain and simple ego. I like Keith and his shows, but everyone can't agree all the time.

Just to punch it up a bit, Keith's daughter (Matti) took a Cape Buffalo in the same manner to become the first female to ever do so. Again...ego. And I suppose to prove that Keith's shot wasn't a fluke.

Like others have said...just because it's possible, doesn't mean it's a good idea. That goes for the 257WBY as well as the airgun option.
Really one of the most pathetic excuses for “hunting” I’ve ever seen. They essentially shot domesticated cattle at the feed trough.

This exactly! Bell used a perfect combination for deep penetration. The 257 with a soft bullets at over 3000 fps is exactly the opposite.
But the question if Roy Weatherby did shoot a buffalo with his 257, what bullet did he use?

But the question if Roy Weatherby did shoot a buffalo with his 257, what bullet did he use?
Wikipedia states the .257 Weatherby was designed in 1944 and produced in 1948. Could have been a Nosler, but I doubt it. Similarly, the Remington Core Lokt and Winchester Silver Tip bullets came about in 1948. So, who knows?

@CoElkHunter
Y'all shouldn't be huntin anythang with that little bitty 338. Dang it's ony a few steps above the 243 and the 6.5 mabun.
Git you self a reel gun there boy. Git a 375H&H or a 458WM to hunt them cape buffeler.
But in reality a 275gn in the 338 should handle them if it was legal

In one of the previous posts, they said it was a 117 gr hornady soft point
Oops, missed that. Probably a round nose back then? I wonder how it held together with that velocity?

I’ll be very comfortable lining a big old cantankerous bull up with a .350 Rigby, .333 Jeffery or .318 WR without feeling like an exhibitionist.
@Dewald
If you would be happy with the 350 Rigby you should be happy with the Whelen and a 310gn round nose at 2,400fps as well.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnT3006

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg