257 Weatherby on cape buffalo?

Bob,
I called Barnes this morning but was unable to speak with a human. It kept routing me to their directory. So, I sent them an email about the .257 115gr. TTSXs. Haven’t heard back yet. Why don’t you send them an email about the 225gr. .35 TTSXs? They make those in .338 so why not .35?
CEH
Here you go! Just got this email from Barnes today. Guess I won't be loading even the 115gr. TSX in my Savage 110 as I'm sure the barrel twist rate is slower than 1:9.5? Just looked it up, 1:10.

F2502187-1F8F-45DE-9265-71825D82096C.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
There was a very long list of publicity stunts that folks have done over the years, that had no common sense applied. But there is no record of how many died in their youtube/tic toc misguided event (Even if those platforms weren't around at the time) The 257W is fine deer and antelope round. I wouldn't use it on an elk sized animal or bigger. But a cape buff now way. Kinda like a 125 LBS guy running up behind the current heavy weight boxing champ and sucker punching him in the ear. Miget get really lucky and have the one in ten thousand chance of knocking him out, but the other 9999 times?

I don't understand why anyone would risk hunting with a marginal cartridge, if they have other options available.

While working for a wildlife agency, I've had to take a few big game animals with a .22LR, because, I simply had no other choice at the time. (To protect motorists, end suffering, etc.)

"Stunt Hunting" is foolhardy, unethical (IMO), and potentially dangerous for everyone involved.

If the only rifle I had was a .257 Weatherby, I was a resident of Africa, and if I needed to defend myself, feed my family, or protect others, that would be a different story.

But, to carry a .257 Weatherby to Africa from a distant country, pay big money, just to prove I can kill a buffalo with it is, (IMO) absurd. I have no doubt, that I could do it, but I don't understand why someone would want to try.

I also feel that way about handguns in typical handgun cartridges.

I, personally, wouldn't hunt buffalo with archery equipment, but I feel like a very experienced bowhunter, could work up the right combination of bow, arrow, and broadhead to make it "ethical".

With that begin said, if I wouldn't take the shot without a PH with a big stopping rifle at the ready, I don't think I'm not sure that I would not be "stunt hunting".

Again, it's just me.....

What does “harvest” mean? Is that some kind of woke phrase?

It absolutely is.

It started being used around 1990, by Wildlife Biologists in academia, in a misguided effort to lessen the politically incorrectness of just saying of "kill".

To this day, I've never heard a farmer say they are going to "harvest" a steer in the fall to feed their family over the winter.

No one "harvest" something they did now grow...

I once met a guy at Reno who booked to come and hunt water buffalo in Oz with his 220Swift. After my friend, the late Matt Graham of Hunt Australia, tried to turn him away he finally caved in after talking to the hunter for quite a while. He was successful in taking the buff with a lucky shot I heard. He had already taken elephant and rhino. He was going to write a book on his exploits but I never did hear or see of it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LucaFitzgi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross