257 Roberts with 120 gr A-frames for PG?

graybird

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA, SCI, DSC
Hunted
South Africa (Eastern Cape and KwaZulu-Natal both twice), Saskatchewan, Oklahoma, Colorado, Texas, Nebraska, Georgia, Florida, Michigan, Mississippi
Does a 257 Roberts shooting 120 gr A-frames into less than 1" have a fit for African PG?

I hope so because if not I am going to be mad.Having some 100 grain a-frames and 100 grain tsx being loaded now for my sons 257 weatherby.Only planning on using it for springbucks and bushbucks.If the guns shoots as good as I think it will with those bullets I just may give it a try on a cape kudu to.I hope to have some better answer on if it works in aug.

I have a friend considering taking it over in June. Largest critters will be zebra, wildebeest and Cape kudu.

With the 120 grain bullet I think he will be fine.I only did the 100 because it is mainly for springbucks and I want it flat shooting out to 400 if needed.Last trip over my son used a gun of jaques to take kudu,zebra,impala,springbuck.I thought he was crazy when he told me it would do just fine.He gave my son a 25-06 to use with 100 grain speer soft points.It worked great.Hit them behind the shoulder and all was good.I would say the 257 is a step up from the 25-06 and with a frames should be deadly.

Last year my daughter used her 257Roberts with 120gr Swift A-Frames in Africa at ranges from 135 yards to 415 yards to take Zebra, Kudu, Warthogs, Impalas and Red Hartebeest. All animals were one shot kills with none or very short tracking needed. The zebra was running dead with a busted shoulder and no heart for 40 yards right into a thorn bush. All animals were spot and stalk hunting, not from a blind.
The bullets will do the job if you place the shot correctly. Always shoot to break a shoulder and take out the heart/lungs.
She did no tshoot a Wildebeest but I have no doubt she would have taken one cleanly if she wanted one.

A 257Roberts is a step down from the 25-06 but I was able to get 2899FPS with the 120gr bullets and 5 shots into one hole at 100 yards. I did a bunch of load testing with different powders if you want my data.

I should have said I think my 257 weatherby is a step up from a 25-06.If he puts the bullet in the right spot it will work no problem.Broadside and quartering away shots will end in quick kills if they do there part.

Is other option is a deadly accurate, 6.5 Sweede. He's been trying to find that magical load for his 30-06 but hasn't hit on something he's perfectly satisfied with.

The .257 Roberts will work effectively if one picks their shots well. Broadside, tight behind the shoulder and angling into the opposite shoulder will definitely work. What it doesn't leave you is much margin for error with less than optimal shots.

A 6.5 Swede with those super long bullets is a definitive step up, as is the 30-06. But if the .257 is what you have, go for it.

You forget the rule: Women, children, and small young adults can take large game cleanly with pipsqueak calibers like the .243, .257, .250, and, for the larger members of the aforementioned groups, the 7x57 and 7mm-08. When a man reaches the age of 21, he needs no less than 3500 fpe to even get off the plane in Africa.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlfonzoPal

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!