250-3000 savage 1:14” twist bullets?

rookhawk

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
NRA Life Benefactor, Trout Unlimited, Safari Club International
I have an old 99 take down from 1920. I know the 1:14” twist rate likes 87gr bullets. I was curious if anyone got the 100gr A-frame to shoot well or any other 100gr bullets for hunting purposes?

I got accuracy on the order of inch and a quarter groups with 1:14 twist 99 barrels using Speer 100 grain flat base bullets. I pushed them hard back then but, never had a problem and that is the only 100 grain bullet I used.

I got accuracy on the order of inch and a quarter groups with 1:14 twist 99 barrels using Speer 100 grain flat base bullets. I pushed them hard back then but, never had a problem and that is the only 100 grain bullet I used.

Thank you for that info. I was wondering if there is a way to examine the ogive or length of the 100gr A-frame compared to the 100gr sierra and 100gr corelokt to determine if its likely or unlikely that the a-frame would stabalize? I should probably measure the twist rate of my barrel too, some of the 1-14” twists were actually more like 1:15, others 1:13. I assume the irregular results come from the fact a few people were lucky and had a twist rate that aided stabilization more than the next batch of barrels.

The Speer 100 gr. Flatbase spitzer is a decent bullet for this purpose. It shot OK in my old Savage .250 14" twist. And it's built properly for the velocity delivered by the .250.

Thank you for that info. I was wondering if there is a way to examine the ogive or length of the 100gr A-frame compared to the 100gr sierra and 100gr corelokt to determine if its likely or unlikely that the a-frame would stabalize? I should probably measure the twist rate of my barrel too, some of the 1-14” twists were actually more like 1:15, others 1:13. I assume the irregular results come from the fact a few people were lucky and had a twist rate that aided stabilization more than the next batch of barrels.
@rookhawk
You don't need a premium bullet like the AFRAME in the 250. Any old good FLAT base 100 grain cup and core. The longer plastic tips and boat tails won't stabilize. 2,800 fps with a 100grain cup and core is ideal.
Bob

@rookhawk
You don't need a premium bullet like the AFRAME in the 250. Any old good FLAT base 100 grain cup and core. The longer plastic tips and boat tails won't stabilize. 2,800 fps with a 100grain cup and core is ideal.
Bob

Thank you for your education, @Bob Nelson 35Whelen .

These types of guns/calibers were from the "Gentleman hunter" era in America that predated my life experiences. I don't know anything about 257wby, 257 Rob, 250 Sav, 244 Rem, 25 Newton, and the like.

In fact, the first time I owned a gun smaller than 6.5mm was once I started raising kids and got a pre-64 in .243. For that gun, I just used barnes 80gr TTSX and watched it put down deer with great efficacy in the hands of 7-year-olds.

Based on that line of thinking, I had assumed 87gr speer hotcore and the hornady 87gr varmint that is a knock-off of it would be a bit lethargic for midwest whitetails. I had assumed that if I couldn't go to a bigger bullet due to twist-rate issues, I should at least go to a more durable bullet like an A-frame or something else that would hold together at 3000fps.

I'll look into the 100gr Sierra Hotcore that has a similar shape the 87gr spitzers and go from there.

I still am curious about that 100gr A-frame though...if that would shoot through a 1:14 twist it would be a game changer. That gun would be suitable for a lot of larger/tougher stuff including hogs, stags, black bear, etc. I have no shortage of guns, I just thought it would make it far more utilitarian.

Thank you for your education, @Bob Nelson 35Whelen .

These types of guns/calibers were from the "Gentleman hunter" era in America that predated my life experiences. I don't know anything about 257wby, 257 Rob, 250 Sav, 244 Rem, 25 Newton, and the like.

In fact, the first time I owned a gun smaller than 6.5mm was once I started raising kids and got a pre-64 in .243. For that gun, I just used barnes 80gr TTSX and watched it put down deer with great efficacy in the hands of 7-year-olds.

Based on that line of thinking, I had assumed 87gr speer hotcore and the hornady 87gr varmint that is a knock-off of it would be a bit lethargic for midwest whitetails. I had assumed that if I couldn't go to a bigger bullet due to twist-rate issues, I should at least go to a more durable bullet like an A-frame or something else that would hold together at 3000fps.

I'll look into the 100gr Sierra Hotcore that has a similar shape the 87gr spitzers and go from there.

I still am curious about that 100gr A-frame though...if that would shoot through a 1:14 twist it would be a game changer. That gun would be suitable for a lot of larger/tougher stuff including hogs, stags, black bear, etc. I have no shortage of guns, I just thought it would make it far more utilitarian.
@rookhawk
The old Australian 25/303 as originally loaded was the same power as the 250 and it killed more pigs, goats and deer than you could poke a stick at.
Bob

100 grain bullets shoot fine out of them. My father has a 99 takedown with the milled in front sight. Shoots 100 grain silvertips all day long into about 1.25" at 100 yards

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chandaokelle05

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg