.25 Caliber Rifle Cartridges and the Future of Them

I've also got a 257 Roberts built on a spare, complete LA. Having loaded bullets from 75 grain to 120 grain I've settled on the 110 grain AccuBond, using H4350 that produces an average MV of just over 3,000 fps from a 24 inch barrel. I could easily send 'em faster, but the barrel just loves that velocity node.
That rifle and load has become my dedicated Pronghorn getter.

I've been looking at a fast .25 caliber cartridge for a while now. The front runner for me has always been the 257WBY because it's wicked fast, deadly, low recoil and most importantly it fits nicely into the MA bolt head I already have for my Blaser R8. Here is a list of the most often used SAAMI approved .25's in no real order other than that's how I view the popularity of them.

25-06
257WBY
257RBTS
250-3000SAV
25WSSM
25-20WIN
25-35WIN
256WM

Recently I watched a YT video stating that there is possible expansion in the .25 caliber offerings in the coming year. They include a 25CM and 25PRC, neither of which I know anything about. Not to mention our own @Bob Nelson 35Whelen who has been making a wildcat rimmed 25 based on the 303BRIT cartridge. I believe the 25CM and 25PRC will be (or have been) submitted to SAAMI for certification.

I've been know to say on occasion "What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again, there is nothing new under the sun" taken from the Book of Ecclesiastes. In my hunting years I've seen more than a few cartridges wither and nearly die, just like the 25WSSM. Outside of the competition world, do these new cartridges offer anything better when it comes to shooting game animals (less than 150#) at normal hunting distances of less than 500 yards? Better barrel life? Shoot higher BC bullets? Kill game more dead than any of the others? Don't even get me started on ammo availability.

Or is it all just marketing hype for a money grab? Because that's about where I'm landing on this. Feel free to chime and let me know how you feel about the current 25 caliber offerings and what you see for the future.
Personally I’m a big quarter bore fan. First deer with a No 1 in .257 Roberts. Been hunting with a .257wby for several years now. Have a 99 in 250 Savage, owned a 25-06, and have an old Marlin in 25-20.

There are guys already wildcatting what a 25CM or 25PRC would likely be with great success. Most are running custom fast twist barrels and shooting Blackjacks high BC heavy for caliber projectiles. Would love to try this personally just not sure my gun will stabilize them and I’m getting sub 1/2 MOA with a 100gr Barnes TTSX out of the Weatherby.

Based on 30+ years with the quarter bore (which I can't seem to shake), the days of factory ammo sitting on the shelf are long, long gone. Today, you need to be a handloader and put in a lifetime supply of brass, regardless of the cartridge you choose to explore.

Always been a 25 caliber fan. Started years ago with a 250-3000 in a savage 99. Than 25-06 custom, than a .257 Weatherby. The .257 is by far my cartridge of choice.
The latest thing with the heavy for caliber bullets. IMO the average shooter will never realize the advantage of the higher BC will get. If you want a heavier bullet for hunting move up in caliber.

I've also got a 257 Roberts built on a spare, complete LA. Having loaded bullets from 75 grain to 120 grain I've settled on the 110 grain AccuBond, using H4350 that produces an average MV of just over 3,000 fps from a 24 inch barrel. I could easily send 'em faster, but the barrel just loves that velocity node.
Question: Do the 110 ABs open up when used on pronghorn? I have several boxes of them and like the bullets, but I am concerned that they will not have the terminal performance on light animals like Coues deer and pronghorn.

Question: Do the 110 ABs open up when used on pronghorn? I have several boxes of them and like the bullets, but I am concerned that they will not have the terminal performance on light animals like Coues deer and pronghorn.
I’ve used the 110 AB I a Roberts on white tails, but nothing past ~150 yds. Good expansion (destroyed vitals) and exit.

I am sure that that AB's will have no problems on light skinned animals. I shot my coues deer with a 100 grain Barnes TTSX at 420 yards out of my 25-06 and had a nice exit hole.

I have a 257 Roberts and I do like it. 120gr Speer SPBT do well for me I find (I use my Bob as a light deer rifle).

The 25 Creedmore is apparently looking good as a competition round. (Longer shots on steel should register a bit easier with heavier than 6mm pills which can be a critisms of 6mm Creed and 6x47 I understand).

As others have said, the 130 gr + bullets need a faster twist

Hornady just brought out a 134gr ELD-M, Berger have some 25 Cal bullets (Interestingly Berger have 257 Roberts data in their manual as apparently Mrs Berger liked hunting with hers)

Scrummy
@Scrumbag
Scrummy I can't understand that you say the 257 Roberts is a lidgt deer rifle. It works well on big red stags as well with those bullets.
Stop being a naysayer mate or people will think it's not any better than the pissant 243s when in actual fact it's not far behind the 25-06. You should easily get 2,900gps plus with the 120s.
Bob

While I’ve never owned a 25 I would like to someday. I can see a 25/06 in my future. I’ve shot several 25/06 and 257 Weatherby on the range. The 25/06 and 270 win to me are the finest whitetail cartridges ever made. Plus I’d love to find a 257 Roberts for my daughter when she gets a little older.
@Cleveland48
You will never be disappointed with a 25. The Roberts is a handloaders propersition and will do almost as much as the 25-06. Loaded with a nice 100gn TTSX at over 3,200fps would be great. The same bullet in the 25-06 gets 3,400fps.
The TTSX and the 117grain Hornady SSTs are my favourite bullets in my 25. At the moment I'm experimenting with the 115gn nosler balistic tips but have yet to use them on game.
Our gun writer Nick Harvey likes the 100gn balistic tip on smaller deer for quick kills.
You will never look at anything else when you start using a good 25. It will amaze.
Bob

Oh, absolutely! Devastating performance. Probably too well if you're a dedicated meat hunter. But then again, I always have two tags in my pocket :)

I am sure that that AB's will have no problems on light skinned animals. I shot my coues deer with a 100 grain Barnes TTSX at 420 yards out of my 25-06 and had a nice exit hole.
@JimP
And that would have been with a backing hold or less.
When I started using my fast 25 I had a tendency to over shoot game at longer ranges until I got used to the flat trajectory. The speer 100gn sppbt sailed clean over a fallow deer at a bit over 400 because I held on air. The next shot was a back line hold and resulted in a high lung shot. It was like someone pulled the rug out from under him. His legs just collaped and he didn't move. Back then I didn't look for projectiles but he was a mess inside and no exit.
Bob

But didn't Bob tell us to just get a .243?

Just kidding, and happy New year!
@Doug Hamilton
Dougy,Duggy, Duggy wash you mouth out with soap for telling porky pies.
Then go and see your local catholic priest and ask for forgiveness for thou doth tell untruths and say 10 hail Mary's and 10 our fathers.
Mate you NEED A 25.
HA HA HA HA
Bob

Don't over look Berger bullets for those animals. They kill fast, no matter what the internet says.

Always been a 25 caliber fan. Started years ago with a 250-3000 in a savage 99. Than 25-06 custom, than a .257 Weatherby. The .257 is by far my cartridge of choice.
The latest thing with the heavy for caliber bullets. IMO the average shooter will never realize the advantage of the higher BC will get. If you want a heavier bullet for hunting move up in caliber.
@Mike Van Horn
The old weights worked well in the 25s for years. They killed game at any same range out to 500 yards with the fast 25s so why try and fix something that ain't broke.
The 25-06 with a good 100gn like the TTSX hits as hard at 500 yard as the 243 does at 300yds.
If you want to shoot game at stupidly long range go a bigger caliber.
Just the musings of a 25 cal tragic.
Bob

Each year, in the late spring, early summer I'm out ringing steel at 400 yards in the sagebrush winds to keep my wind guesstimating-thru-the-scope skills up to snuff.
However, I've yet needed to take a shot at a Pronghorn at that distance. I've always been able to put on the Big Sneak and get to within 300 yards, give or take.
Prone with a quarter bore @ 3000+ fps is ideal for that.

Just too dang much fun :)

Puddle, I'm matching those ballistics with a Barnes Bullet. My PBZ of 3 inches high at 100yds is 3.5 inches low at 300. I don't ever mess with changing dope!

@Doug Hamilton
Dougy,Duggy, Duggy wash you mouth out with soap for telling porky pies.
Then go and see your local catholic priest and ask for forgiveness for thou doth tell untruths and say 10 hail Mary's and 10 our fathers.
Mate you NEED A 25.
HA HA HA HA
Bob
Just pulling your leg, Bob! Happy New Year, mate!

Doug

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrittGibb4

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross