Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SAJW
Good day to all members.

I recently got hold of a .243 Steinbach Mauser rifle ( classic) for my brother at a good price.

The only draw back is it has claw mounts /basis and not a telescope/rings. I do not want to drill and tap the receiver and thus set out to try and make a set of claws /telescope rings.

I commenced with the project. At this stage I am taking the easy route...milling out the claws , silver solder the claws to the Lynx rings. The other method will be to purchase semi completed Lynx scope rings and mill the claws from this semi completed set.

All photos at this stage are cellphone photos ..I will take the camera to the shop when conducting more milling work on the claws...
Here are a few photos concerning this endeavor:
I need to make the claws to fit in to the claw mount bases...
r7Ts7Kj.jpg

EgdDeeC.jpg

Milling out the claws..
nGbTYdM.jpg
fcGzAZo.jpg
KSB3g4J.jpg

Claws for the scope mounts base at the back end..
QWuN4Xm.jpg

qIGZWPo.jpg
3T0qLln.jpg

Placing the scope ring on top to get some perspective..
kjv3yTc.jpg

I am getting there....:D
hKt4ufq.jpg

Marking blue to work on fitting the claws...
Good the first one fit perfectly and really fits excellent into the base...no movement at all..rock solid fitting..
pexdOhg.jpg

Moving to the front claws...
I made a duplicate of the inside of the claw base to be able to duplicate the claws ..
yL59bsc.jpg
n2mHZNA.jpg

Back mount with scope ring on top..final fitting..it really fits like a glove on a hand..(y)(y)
I5przq4.jpg

Front fitting:
Ed4QOm2.jpg

Both fitted now..all is fitted perfectly..last step:
xgaBb4p.jpg

I am making use of the Lynx stud system ..I will be converting these claw bases to to a lynx stud system where the 30mm Leopold rings will be secure to the lynx studs I am incorporating onto the completed claw bases..will upload more photos of this process this week.. (y)(y)(y)(y)

Attachments

• r7Ts7Kj.jpg
    r7Ts7Kj.jpg
    444.3 KB · Views: 159
  • EgdDeeC.jpg
    EgdDeeC.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 134
  • nGbTYdM.jpg
    nGbTYdM.jpg
    585.7 KB · Views: 151
  • fcGzAZo.jpg
    fcGzAZo.jpg
    292.3 KB · Views: 173
  • KSB3g4J.jpg
    KSB3g4J.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 143
  • QWuN4Xm.jpg
    QWuN4Xm.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 141
  • qIGZWPo.jpg
    qIGZWPo.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 162
  • 3T0qLln.jpg
    3T0qLln.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 163
  • kjv3yTc.jpg
    kjv3yTc.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 135
  • hKt4ufq.jpg
    hKt4ufq.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 153
  • EgdDeeC.jpg
    EgdDeeC.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 179
  • yL59bsc.jpg
    yL59bsc.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 160
  • n2mHZNA.jpg
    n2mHZNA.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 126
  • I5przq4.jpg
    I5przq4.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 150
  • Ed4QOm2.jpg
    Ed4QOm2.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 149
  • xgaBb4p.jpg
    xgaBb4p.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 167
Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you, I am sure it will look nice when completed and be functional as well...(y)(y):D

TIG welded the extension today, did some milling work on it as well..it is still in a rough shape but I will do some finishing on it...
a4qqwDY.jpg

The scope ring secure:
l0tM1eC.jpg

The back claw mount with the Lynx stud still to be inserted:
cZiY9Xz.jpg

23nah5I.jpg

Will upload more photos as I make progress,,,(y)(y):D The TIG welding really makes this extension strong, I still need to do a lot of finishing work , this will take most of my time to complete a functional and good quality product ...since this is a .243 cal I am sure this set up will hold strong and still be accurate when the scope is mounted..(y)(y)(y)

Attachments

• 23nah5I.jpg
    23nah5I.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 146
  • a4qqwDY.jpg
    a4qqwDY.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 151
  • cZiY9Xz.jpg
    cZiY9Xz.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 172
  • l0tM1eC.jpg
    l0tM1eC.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 145
Last edited by a moderator:
Nice work! That stud mount ring solves a pile of alignment problems, good stuff.

Dinsdale, quite correct,I really like the Lynx stud bases/ring set up for scopes..it is functional and make some adjustments possible , better than the static type of scope ring bases...(y)(y):D

Since this is a .243 cal rifle with minimum recoil this set up is more than adequate. When building the next set for heavier caliber rifles I will mill these claws and rings from solid mild steel laser cut pieces...it will be much more stronger..the bases will be mill and filed from solid blocks of mild steel..(y)(y)

Members, I completed the back claw mount stud today. I did zero the scope on 100 meters. The scope is a tight fit, no movement at all. All that remains is to do the metal checkkering on the claw mounts and sanding/filing work until it looks good . Then I need to do bluing , this will complete this build. Thank you for following this thread, it is much appreciated.
Photo: scope fitted but still not secured since I need to do more adjustments to the alignment ..will do that tomorrow...(y) but I am getting there...
9K8vzss.jpg

Attachments

• 9K8vzss.jpg
    9K8vzss.jpg
    934.4 KB · Views: 164
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markekcertifications

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you