240 Weatherby

Don458

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA USPSA Brooklyn schuetzen corp
What are peoples thoughts on this round, pretty impressive 85 gr Barnes tsx ballistics. Deer/speed goats .

I would prefer a 257 Wby.

Generally, I feel like the 243’s (or 6mm’s) going that fast like to detonate…better varmint round. That said, the TSX will stand up to that velocity better than anything else that expands.

Here’s a good read on the cartridge:

Yes that is the thing, using the right bullet. Excellent results on a larger Whitetail this year with 243 85gr tsx

I have a 240 Weatherby mk5 shoots sub MOA hunted goats,
pigs, found any lighter bullets than 100 grain go to bits on pigs. best bullet has been the Sierra 100 grain gameking have not tried an all copper bullet yet.

I have a 240 Weatherby mk5 shoots sub MOA hunted goats,
pigs, found any lighter bullets than 100 grain go to bits on pigs. best bullet has been the Sierra 100 grain gameking have not tried an all copper bullet yet.
Yes. Looking at Mark V accumark. The Barnes TSX. Seems to be the ticket.

I have a .240 Wby built on a Winchester action with a medium sporter weight barrel. I built it almost 30 years ago and have used the .240 Wby on pigs, goats and fallow deer with great success. It hits hard for a 6mm caliber on the size game mentioned, if you place your shots well. In the early days I used the 95gr & 100gr partitions. They were and still are a good bullet in the .240 Wby. A mate of mine took a number of red deer with his Mk5 lightweight in .240 Wby at ranges under 200yds with the Partitions. I don't think its a red deer cartridge but certainly did the job at the time.
I used the 85gr Barnes TSX for a number of years. They zip through everything I every shot with them. That's not a bad thing. Just an observation. Now I am using the Swift 90gr Scirocco II because my local gun shop had a couple of box's and I felt like a change. The Scirocco's seem to kill faster and drop fallow deer and pigs faster than the Barnes did.

I use the 90 gr accubond in mine. If the barrel goes I’ll rebarrel to a faster twist and use some of the heavier berger bullets.

The only problem I have with the .240Wby is the 1:10 twist rate on stock barrels. Many of the newer bullets require faster twist rates. Sierra says their 90gr TGK requires a 1:9 twist. Many of the copper bullets also require faster twists. 80gr Hammer Hunter bullet is suggested a 1:9 twist and the 88gr Hammer Hunter a 1:8 twist.

I think twist rate is going to be a problem, with the growth of using longer heavier lead core and copper bullets. Hopefully rifle manufacturers start providing barrels with twist rates suitable for this trend.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaeMorris

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross