235gr bullets for .375?

DOC-404

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Anyone tried or have any opinions on 235gr bullets in .375? I'm looking for as much info as I can get,from guys who have used them, before I spend $$ on experimenting with them.

I have used 2 different 235 grain bullets in the 375 H&H. 235 grn Speer and 235 grn Barnes. The Speer bullet is designed for lighter game typically deer. I have used it on whitetail deer with excellent results. The Barnes bullet is typical of what they build. This is
a tough bullet that will hold up to high velocity. I've driven the Barnes bullet 3,000 fps +/- out of my 375 Encore. If Barnes made this
bullet in a botail and tipped version they would have a real winner for the long range high velocity crowd. I have used Hornady's 225 grain bullet quite a lot as well. It is an excellent bullet for deer size game with the 375. For deer size game you do not have push the 375 hard for it to be effective. 235 or 225 grn. bullets at a velocity anywhere in the 2200 to 2500 fps range will stop whitetails or similiar size animals quickly and efficiently when placed properly, with recoil levels that make shooting the 375 fairly comfortable.

I loaded up some 235 gr. speers and shot a few out of my new .375 this weekend. With 65 gr. of H-varget the recoil level is slightly more than a .30-06. Not bad at all. I will be shooting these alot for practice rounds before my buff hunt.

I loaded up some 235 gr. speers and shot a few out of my new .375 this weekend. With 65 gr. of H-varget the recoil level is slightly more than a .30-06. Not bad at all. I will be shooting these alot for practice rounds before my buff hunt.

Thanks Guys.
Thunder,what sort of accuracy and velocity are you getting?

I do not have my scope mounted yet, so we just back up about 40 yards and took a few free hand shots. Anything bigger than a rabbit wasnt safe LOL.
I dont have a chrono.

Accuracy with 235 grn. bullets

My Encore really likes the 235 grn. Barnes bullets with 80 grns. of RL 15. Using a leadsled with 2 bags of shot groups run about 3/4" at 100 yds. for 3 shots. My old Mark X seems to prefer the 235 grn. Speer bullets with 67 grns of 3031. Accuracy is about 1" to 1.5" at 100 yds. (The Mark X has a 1-3/4 * 5 scope instead of a 3 * 9 like the Encore.) 64 grns of 3031 produces good accuracy in either rifle with either bullet and makes a dandy whitetail deer load.

Thanks Guys.
Thunder,what sort of accuracy and velocity are you getting?

After shooting about 30 rounds, i have about decided the 235 gr. speers are not for me. It may be my inexperince at reloading. I have had some trouble with them. I could wiggle the bullets after seating them. A crimping die fixed this. So im satisfied with my reloading job.
My gun dosent seem to care for this load. Its shooting 2" groups at 100 yds. of the bench. I could probably experiment with the load and better this, but since i am not crazy about the bullet. Ill probably try the barnes or some other bullet.

The Speer bullets work well on plainsgame, deer and perhaps up to elk size animals. The biggest thing I have shot with them is a cow elk and it worked just fine..I have shot a lot of big stuff with the Woodleigh 235 gr. PP and I wouldn't hesitate to use it on elk, moose or eland for that matter, its a killer and it holds together much better than the Speer.

But for the most part I would suggest that one use the 250 gr. Sierras, they are cheap and not soft like most Sierras and work well on most all big game. I have had great luck with the 250 and 300 gr. Sierras on deer and elk.

I'm with you on the Sierra's,Ray.I have a pet load for my .375 with the 250gr Sierra and I use it,with great success, for everything up to Eland,including the cats.I have it sub-MOA at around 2550 fps and will not change it for any of the 'premium' bullets.

If your not getting the results you want with 235s try accubond 260s not as fast as a 235 but affordable practice or deer bullet.

I shot a lot of them through a Ruger #1 .375 H&H over a 20 year period during my salad days of BG hunting the American West. Run a bit over 2700fps with a healthy dose of H4350 at this velocity the bullet held together well and killed deer, antelope, elk and the occassional black bear with apomb. A lot of the slugs were never recovered but those that were had the classic mushroom look we all love. Not a tackdriver bullet but plenty hunting accurate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg