235 gr 375 H&H Loads

cavtrooper94

AH member
Reaction score
Hunted
Missouri, Texas, Kentucky, Alaska
I'm curious what you guys think about the 235gr Barnes TSX in the 375 H&H for PG? I have not been to Africa yet, but it's always on my mind. When I do get there I plan to have a 375 H&H in hand. I understand using the 300 gr bullets for dangerous game, but was considering something that shoots a little flatter for hunting plains game. The Barnes TSX has always performed flawlessly for me and I can only believe that it would do so in Africa as well. A 235 gr bullet is surely enough for PG, right?

Thanks Much

I wasnt even aware that such a bullet was made by Barnes until I looked at my manual and yep there it is. While its ballistic properties are not overly impressive, being a Triple Shok that can be driven to over 3000 fps for mucho energy, it should be devastating on PG of any size.

Thanks Sestoppelman,

I kinda figured but I wanted to hear it from a veteran before I went buying bullets.

Thanks Sestoppelman,

I kinda figured but I wanted to hear it from a veteran before I went buying bullets.

Please report back your results when you have them. I've pretty much settled on 300gr A-Frames in my .375 as their just a touch more accurate than the TSX's for DG. I'm now working in your direction to develop a PG load, starting with 270gr loads.

The Barnes 235 grain TSX will be excellent for plains game hunting!

My results with Barnes TSX in the last couple years have mostly been 1 shot kills.
300 Wby 180 8 plains game complete pass threw.
300 Wby 180 gr Eland off side under skin expanded to 0.618
308 Win 165 gr Red hartebeest off side under skin ex. to 0.842
308 Win 165 gr impala enter front shoulder under skin left rear hind quarter about 28 inch penetration expanded to 0.642 2 pedals broke off.
375 H&H 235 gr Nyala pass through.
375 H&H 235 gr Blue wildebeest neck shot completely blew up neck bone under off side skin 1 pedal broke off expanded to 0.887

My advice is to use the 250 grain Barnes TTSX bullet.

It has a bc of .424 compared with the 235 grain TSX bullet that has a bc of .270.
With only 15 grain in difference, you will get about the same speed and recoil, but you will get a much better trajectory and a much harder hitting bullet at longer ranges with the 250 grain TTSX.

It has a bc of .424 compared with the 235 grain TSX bullet that has a bc of .270.
With only 15 grain in difference, you will get about the same speed and recoil, but you will get a much better trajectory and a much harder hitting bullet at longer ranges with the 250 grain TTSX.
I agree. I have not been able to get any 250 grain TTSX and Barnes is only 75 miles from my house. Always sold out they must be good.

My 375 did not like them, short on data for that bullet in 375, if you run the 225 & 250 bullets thru any software you will see that really do not get much more range than the 300 grain, using real data from a chrono not that crap they put on a box of shells.

I always like to look at all three FPS, Drop & Energy. I used the Swift A Frame, my gun liked them best one shot lion, Zebra & Wildbeest all. The 150 TTSX Barnes in 280AI played heck with all the plains only one did not pass thru the Nyla.

My buddies used the Barned 300 TSX in their 375 for everything Cape, Lion & plains they did a great job as well

I totally agree that the 235 grain TSX bullet doesn't give any range advantage compared with the 300 grain TSX bullet.
I think even the 300 grain has an trajectory advantage at longer ranges compared to the 235 grain because of the much higher BC and it will for sure hit much harder at longer ranges.
But I don't agree with you when it comes to the 250 grain TTSX bullet.
You can both push it significantly faster and it also has a significantly better bc compared to the 300 grain TSX bullet giving it a better trajectory and better abilities to cope with wind.
I also suspect the 250 grain TTSX will have higher energy at longer ranges than the 300 grain TSX bullet because of the higher speed and bc when it leaves your barrel.
But I can't say that for sure yet as I have not finished the loading for my 375 Ruger and measured all speeds in my chrony. The 375H&H and the 375 Ruger are very similar in performance.

But of course, it doesn't matter at all what speed, bc or energy you get if your gun doesn't like the bullet :)

Looks like if you run the numbers the TTSX 250 will hold up better over the ranges at least to 400 yards and retain more energy than the 300, 270 or 235 TSX if driven at 2950 fps. Its sort of an apples and oranges comparison since there is no 300 gr TTSX. If there was the 300 would outshine the 250.

I could not get anywhere near 2950 out my hand loads for 250TTSX, but as it already been said shoot what flies good and I am sure it will be fine.

That figure is just a guess based on whats normal/possible for the 235 and the 270 gr. Somewhere in between the two. The only thing I load in mine is the 300 gr bullets, either Nosler Parts or Hornady solids.

My load for my .375 is 300gr A-Frames. Out to 250 yards, there's just so little difference in ballistics. Beyond that, in my opinion one would need to consider the lighter loads for the increased velocity. I say this not so much for ballistics but as much for impact velocity and getting good expansion from the soft point bullets and/or the TSX/TTSX. But if I'm shooting those kind of distances, I think I'd prefer to have my .300 WM.

My load for my .375 is 300gr A-Frames. Out to 250 yards, there's just so little difference in ballistics. Beyond that, in my opinion one would need to consider the lighter loads for the increased velocity. I say this not so much for ballistics but as much for impact velocity and getting good expansion from the soft point bullets and/or the TSX/TTSX. But if I'm shooting those kind of distances, I think I'd prefer to have my .300 WM.

300 is my vote for long range as well

I loaded both the 250gr and 300gr and both shot very well in my 375 in preparation for my trip to Namibia. I took both loads and due to stupidity and bad handling on my part, I got them mixed up once I got there. I shot two kudu bulls, a gemsbok, a steinbok, a zebra stallion, a blesbok, and an impala with them. All shots were pass throughs except the gemsbok and the bullet deflected off the far shoulder and lodged in the backbone. As expected, it retained nearly all of its weight. All but one kudu dropped within a few steps. I have nothing but respect for Barnes and will continue to use only Barnes for my hunting loads. I don't recall the load I used at the moment, but it is a very basic one where I don't care about the fps too much. I practiced at 200yds leading up to the trip but all but one shot was 150yds or less, most were much less due to the great work of my PH, Pieter Grobbelaar. The farthest was around 250yds on the kudu bull that ran a bit, but it was the guy behind the scope and not the bullet. This bull turned to run at the instant I shot and the angle changed, but he was recovered about 200yds later, but the bullet did its job very well making the tracking extremely easy. My belief is that if one performs better for you, stick with it. If they both work, all the more better. If you can't get your hands on the 250's, then you may have a different decision to make. For some additional info, I shoot a Remington 700 off the shelf rifle that I have had a muzzle break added to by my friends at MG Arms, Inc., so my rifle is a bland one but liked the Barnes. Best of luck to you in your trials and great luck in Africa! Shoot as many trophies as you can afford, you'll be very glad you did!!!!

With 235 gr Speer I killed a couple of kudu bulls plus many bushbuck and bushpigs. Performance was excellent.

The 235 grain TSX was my brothers choice for hunting Canadian game in his .375 Ruger. Not because of any ballistic advantage but he wanted an effective bullet with relatively low recoil in his light weight Ruger Hawkeye. He used it very effectively for shooting several elk and a moose as I recall. No complaints, no regrets.

I'm curious what you guys think about the 235gr Barnes TSX in the 375 H&H for PG? I have not been to Africa yet, but it's always on my mind. When I do get there I plan to have a 375 H&H in hand. I understand using the 300 gr bullets for dangerous game, but was considering something that shoots a little flatter for hunting plains game. The Barnes TSX has always performed flawlessly for me and I can only believe that it would do so in Africa as well. A 235 gr bullet is surely enough for PG, right?

Thanks Much

Hey Cavtrooper,

I'm pretty sure I have a few 235 grain TSXs left, my rifle didn't like them much. If you would like I'll drop them in the mail for you to try. I don't think I have too many but you are welcome to them. If you would PM your address I'll get them in the mail.

I would also use the 250 TTSX over the 235 TSX...but mostly because I believe it will be more reliable when it comes to expansion, regardless of where and how the bullet hits the game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maximo5631

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,