.223 Remington in Africa?

it has to do with the way the bullet is designed. if the bullet hits a solid object it punches threw. if it hits a soft object it destabilizes, yaws, and then fragments. the rear of the bullet is open so once the rear of the bullet is facing forward it goes from being a FMJ to a HP.

the russian 7n6 5.45x39 cartridge is designed perform similarly but instead of fragmenting it just tumbles. it has a hollow space in the nose with a lead wrapped steel core in the base of the FMJ bullet. if it hits a hard surface the nose crushes and the steel core is propelled forward. if it hits a soft surface the rear of the bullet is heavier then the front of the bullet causing it to tumble.

the main difference between the two is the 5.45x39 doesnt require high velocity to work while the 5.56x45 needs to be moving in excess of 2000fps (cant remember the extact velocity required). there was a lengthy study on 5.56x45 and the velocity needed to cause the fragmentation effect but i cant find it at the moment. one of my coworkers has a copy of the article that ill have him send me.

-matt

meh i found the study but it just covers the speed/barrel length needed to get the ideal velocity for the effect ive been talking about. it doesnt cover the details of the cartridges terminal performance.

for those still interested:
http://www.sadefensejournal.com/wp/?p=1093

good article, but not what i was looking for.

-matt

Correct m855 typically will not. The folks at Benning have unequaled field experience with the 5.56 over the last 40 years.

it has to do with the way the bullet is designed. if the bullet hits a solid object it punches threw. if it hits a soft object it destabilizes, yaws, and then fragments. the rear of the bullet is open so once the rear of the bullet is facing forward it goes from being a FMJ to a HP.

the russian 7n6 5.45x39 cartridge is designed perform similarly but instead of fragmenting it just tumbles. it has a hollow space in the nose with a lead wrapped steel core in the base of the FMJ bullet. if it hits a hard surface the nose crushes and the steel core is propelled forward. if it hits a soft surface the rear of the bullet is heavier then the front of the bullet causing it to tumble.

the main difference between the two is the 5.45x39 doesnt require high velocity to work while the 5.56x45 needs to be moving in excess of 2000fps (cant remember the extact velocity required). there was a lengthy study on 5.56x45 and the velocity needed to cause the fragmentation effect but i cant find it at the moment. one of my coworkers has a copy of the article that ill have him send me.

-matt

I am unfamiliar with the 7.62 x 39, but your post reminded me of the pre-Hague Agreement(?) .303 round with the wooden nose core. Bullet construction and a well designed yaw can increase a bullets lethality over calibre increase exponentially.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/the-box-o-truth-37-the-deadly-303-british-and-the-box-o-truth/

Varmint rounds are a modern case in point, but I do not fancy eating a varmint round shot beast. Another example is homeloading bullets back to front - some woodland stalkers do this with rather accurate results.

Karomojo Bell shot large Red Scottish Stags with a .222 - he could probably shoot the eyelashes of a sparrow at 50 yards freehand, so I shall stick with .300 calibre plus for my shooting anything larger than a fox. I will take my hat off to those who can surgically place their shots at distance with a small calibre.

as a comparison finn has shot a puku and a lechwe with his .22 hornet . the lechwe didnt take another step and the puku ran 20yds and that was it. he has shot a bushbuck, reedbuck and waterbuck with his .223. the bushbuck one shot ran 10yds and down, the reedbuck straight down, and the waterbuck ran 50yds went down very sick and would have died pretty quickly, but one more shot to finish it, but that could of happened with larger calibres as well...........not saying i am recommending the .223 for animals that size (waterbuck)but if the bullet is in the right place it works. he was also confident with his .223 as opposed to a bigger calibre which he was wary of back then.
What bullet was used if i may ask ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrittGibb4

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross