Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Diamond Z Outdoors
How many of you have brought a rimfire on safari for steenbok and duiker? Seems to me like a solid choice considering their size and thin fragile skin.

I have used this cartridge for more than 50 years. It is underestimated by many. Hampered for the first 35 years by ammunition choices, there are now some real smokers being loaded. Don't know if and where it is legal for Steenbk, but it would be my choice too...................FWB

I would bet it would work well, not sure however if legal.

No person may without a permit –
(a) hunt specially protected wild animals, protected wild animals, game or non-indigenous wild animals with a fire-arm which discharges a rim-fire cartridge of a calibre of 5,6
millimetres or smaller.
South Africa Limpopo Province Ordinance. Applies to the other provinces as well.

In other words, the .22 Mag is not legal.

Will a 22 Hornet work? I want to say I saw a show in which the hunter used a 22 Hornet.

I took a 22 Hornet to Limpopo this year for Red Duiker and Sharps Greysbok worked great

How many of you have brought a rimfire on safari for steenbok and duiker? Seems to me like a solid choice considering their size and thin fragile skin.
We took a .223 w/ 55gr soft points this last trip and it worked great on monkey, steenbok, honey badger, civet, jackal, genet.. Only one with any damage at all was the jackal because I hit a rib on the way out..

I used a 22 Hornet on a cape Greysbok and I'd say it's the perfect caliber for these little guys. Just a bit light if you happen across a bushbuck or something.

I just looked up the weight of Steenbok and the Internet says 26 lbs. I’d use a .22 mag on any animal that size if legal.

Didn’t get a .22 Mag until I was in my 50’s. When sighting it in a big jack rabbit happened by and I shot it. It pretty much blew the rabbit up. So yea I think it would do well on Steenbok size animals at reasonable ranges.

C72C3082-E139-4BA5-A26D-7C5A60E39C1D.jpeg

My Steenbok was taken with a 300 H&H and 180 gr. TSX’s...

My Klipspringer, Vaal and Mountain Reedbucks were taken with a 30-06 with 150gr. PPU cup and core’s.

:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ArtLuse26

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you