.22-250AI

Discussion in 'Up To .375' started by CBH Australia, May 15, 2019.

1. CBH Australia

CBH Australia AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Sporting Shooters Association Australia, Africa Hunting website!!!
    Hunted:
    Australia
    i have an action and a good secondhand barrel lined up to make a .22-250. I trust the gunsmith on the barrel and he’s not asking much to do the job.

But should I do a .22-250 Ackley Improved????? He has the reamer and some nice nice gear of his own

I always stayed with common chamberings but don’t think I can lose much by trying an AI on the build, so I burn it out and I know better what I want next time.

I might be in the wrong forum asking about varmint rifles but some may have experience or knowledge of these and sway my decision.

2. Von S.

Von S. AH Fanatic

Sure! Build it!

A second hand barrel? I would pass...... Especially if it was chambered in a barrel burner and used. Most people really don't take perfectly accurate barrels off.

My favorite Ackley Improved cartridge is a ,250-3000 as that particular case gives a very high percentage of improvement compared to the parent.

When you improve a rifle it normally decreases the resale value.

flatwater bill likes this.

3. Scrumbag

Scrumbag AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    BASC, SCI
    Hunted:
    Europe
    If it were me, I'd shoot as 22-250 first. It shoots very fast and flat and you might find that it is enough and you have the convenience of factory ammo. If you want more, you can Ackley it later... Also, as Von S. points out, if the barrel is fried, Ackley-ing it will not help...

4. Saul

Saul AH Enthusiast

Hunted:
    USA, England, Hungary, Argentina
    Big fan of AI rounds. IMO the .280 AI is one of if not the best hunting cartridges. I am sure that the .22-250 AI will also be great.

5. Luvthunt

Luvthunt AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    The blowed out shoulders on a AI cart is very accepted by most people. Have had several AIs in 223 and 22-250 and never regretted the chambering.
    As my major use for the above is PDs, when the 40. Gr vmax came out I was able to reach the same vels without the AI chambering so no longer do it today. But the AI gave me no headaches

6. CBH Australia

CBH Australia AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Sporting Shooters Association Australia, Africa Hunting website!!!
    Hunted:
    Australia
    It is a .22-250 barrel. some wear in the throat i believe and it would be cut and thread to my rifle with either chamber. it may be worn and not perfectly accurate but i think someone with better finances than me wanted an upgrade
    He is only charging me for the machining so its pretty cheap and ill expect it to burn out but I wont be a high volume shooter so to speak.
    I know sometimes people take of target barrels that are OK for further use and probably do under MOA for many more rounds.
    This is a factory barrel and the mid/heavy profile might make it nicely balanced for a spotlight rifle.
    The smith has an Ai. ive used .22-250s many mates have them and another has a .220 swift so this would be the first time ive stepped outside of standard chambering.
    I almost chambered my 7mm-08 to Ai and considered others but as a shooter who likes guns ive ended up with an action and my transferring dealer offered me barrel if he fits it this or he can do a new barrel. a new barel is $500 or $700 plus fitting.
    i apppreciate all the advice and it seems like people like the AI version

7. Areaonereal

Areaonereal AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    I have two 22=250 Ackley imp. What is to gain over a 22 250. Not much. I have my own reamer and still prefer the 22 250. Depending on your twist a 75 gran 22 250 is a smack down long range