2023 SA Paperwork?

Gluff

AH member
Reaction score
I am heading back to South Africa, I just want to make sure I have all my paperwork, correct . The last time I used a vendor and was charged about $2000. I figured I would save that and do it myself. WHAT ELSE DO I NEED AND WHERE DO I GET IT?
1.) plane ticket
2.) 4457 form
3.) ?
4.) ?

NIGHTHAWK

Gold supporter
AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
RSA, Canada, USA, NZ
I am heading back to South Africa, I just want to make sure I have all my paperwork, correct . The last time I used a vendor and was charged about $2000. I figured I would save that and do it myself. WHAT ELSE DO I NEED AND WHERE DO I GET IT?
1.) plane ticket
2.) 4457 form
3.) ?
4.) ?
Your outfitter should be helping you too. Good for you on the DYI…

I use: https://riflepermits.com

R.M.C.

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
U.S. , Canada, and RSA
Was that $2000 for the plane ticket too? I went with Gracy travel and they did the permit and meet and greet in Johannesburg. Came to $1750 with ticket and permit.

375Fox

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Hunted
Zambia, Namibia, South Africa
1.) plane ticket
2.) 4457 form
3.) ?
4.) ?
Outfitter invitation letter

JimP

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA, RMEF
Hunted
US (Utah, Arizona, Idaho, Colorado, Nevada. Canada (British Colombia), South Africa (Eastern Cape)
Actually you can just copy the information off of your last SAP's paperwork.

Your 4457 you will get it from the last place that you picked one up, at a US Customs office. There is a copy of one on the forum here with no expiration date. Get that one and fill it out yourself as far as your rifle, then take it to the Customs office for them to stamp and sign it.

Your outfitter will send you your invitation letter.

Pass port, make sure of when it expires. At least 6 months past the time that you return home and that there are plenty of blank sheets in it.

A stool to sit on while all the other hunters who have a pre approved SAP's 520 get into the SAP's office and then leave before you.

You also didn't mention on where you are hunting. If you are being picked up in Joberg your outfitter should help you out on the paperwork.

Jonathan Kashouty

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
USA - Alaska, South Africa, Namibia,
Great advice posted above. I have used Mr. X's services on three trips to RSA and all were very smooth. $150 should get it done and of course you can TIP if you feel like it. Have a great safari.

Tally-Ho HUNTING SAFARIS

Sponsor
Since 2015
AH elite
Reviews
Reaction score
Website
www.tallyho.co.za
Deals & offers
Media
Member of
SCI, PHASA, SA Wingshooters
its really very easy to yourself
saps 512 form
4457 usa form
physical copy of plane ticket showing return flight
copy of passport
invitation letter from outfitter

they check serial numbers on your rifle, you hand them all this paperwork which they check and you wait 30-40 mins max, they then issue you with temp import permit and you leave ......done

or you contact @riflepermits.com, henry Durrhein is very helpful and you send all of the above to him, he gets pre approved permit, they meet you at o r tambo take you to saps, they still check your serial numbers and you are done in about 10 minutes. cost about $150

Philip Glass

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
www.dorper.net
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Asia/M.East
Member of
NRA, Life SCI, Life DSC, Life EWA
Hunted
RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Tanzania, Cameroon, Mongolia, Kyrgyzstan, Austria, Australia, TX, NM
1.) plane ticket
2.) 4457 form
3.) ?
4.) ?
Do you want to have riflepermits.com have your preapproved SAPS readyfor you on arrival? If so you need to sign and notarize a 4457 and a copy of your passport along with the SAPS for filled out.
I have TWG do all of this for me stateside and it is easy.
Who charged you $2000 and for what?

Also flights printed out, passport copies, outfitter pricelist/package etc. I put extra copies of everything in carry on, suitcase, and rifle case.
Best of luck,
Philip

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juhgonzo

Latest profile posts

Check out the Deals and offers we have some openings for our package hunts in January and April!
Life Member Dallas Safari Club
Nevada Mike wrote on qmrp2567's profile.
375 H&H brass...

I'd like to have them. $125 for the 100 cases, don't want the smashed ones.

I am in Sonoita, AZ

Mike
We cannot wait to share in some amazing adventures with everyone in 2023 again! Please don't hesitate to message us for a quote, customized safari or even just a chat! #HuntBaylySippel
BLJC30 wrote on Tgood1's profile.
I seen a post saying that you do taxidermy in WV. Where are you located in WV and do you have a price list?
I'm going on my first safari in June.