2022 optics for .375 H&H

My .375 wears a Leupold VX6 1-6x24 illuminated. It is a very good scope. The non-HD models can be had used for under $1,000.

I have a Vari X III 3.5x10 on mine. I use it for plains game hunting and have taken several animals over 200. I like the higher power since I use mine for any and all plains game. Sometimes the duikers seem like a mile away, lol

I know it was a different manufacturer, and an older scope, but.... I have been on a paid guided hunt with only one gun and had the internal workings of a scope break, causing me to miss multiple animals under 150 yards. The guide must have thought bad case of buck fever.
However; I felt embarrassed, sick, confused, etc. I got an animal, but we had to get bow range close. I didn't pick up ANY rifle for over a year after that hunt. Eventually I shot the gun in question again then changed the scope. This is how I found out my zero changed on every shot.

Since this hunt.... I try to keep everything as simple as possible. Less gadgets and technology and more increasing my personal abilities. That and I no longer go on any hunt with only one rifle. :)
Why did you keep on shooting and not check zero on a target? In camp or at the least when you got back? Weird story lol

Why did you keep on shooting and not check zero on a target? In camp or at the least when you got back? Weird story lol
Last day of the hunt. I was thinking the pressure was getting to me because the clock was ticking. Yeah, not the best decision in hindsight...

I had also shot an animal on day one. So the guide and I were both thinking it was me. As the one pulling the trigger... The shooter always is part of the blame

Last edited:
I have a Vari X III 3.5x10 on mine. I use it for plains game hunting and have taken several animals over 200. I like the higher power since I use mine for any and all plains game. Sometimes the duikers seem like a mile away, lol
This is why I asked the question. I'm torn between a 1-4 or 1-6 or something like a 2-10 on a gun that can clearly reach out and touch something

Nikon Monarch African 1-4 on my .375
Nikon Monarch African 1-4 on my 404 Jeffrey
Nikon Monarch African 1-4 for my 458 Lott. ( I carry it with me).

Discontinued scope, but can still be picked up for 250-400$.

This is why I asked the question. I'm torn between a 1-4 or 1-6 or something like a 2-10 on a gun that can clearly reach out and touch something.

Badjer,

You have one of the most versatile of cartridges, why saddle it with a low magnification variable? Find a scope in the 1-10 or so range with no larger than a 42mm Objective. I use a 1.7-10 and find it provides the ability to reach out for longer ranges but low enough for close range as well. I have used the old standard of the Leupold 1.5-5x20mm and just did not like it. Also tried the 2.7-8x36mm and the 1.75-6x32 they were better, but still was not happy with them. I finally went to the aforementioned 1.7-10x42 and have been very happy with it. Brand is the best that you can swing Lots of quality choices out there. I was always concerned about DG use but I will probably hunt more plains game than buffalo anyways. the 1.7 on the low side should work just fine I would think. the old standby was again the Leupold 1.5. One more thought if you were hunting DG and a big beautiful Kudu or Bushbuck jumps out at 200 Yards you’re good to go and you can see it well.

Best of luck on your search.

JP

I really appreciate all of the input. I have learned a few things this last week. No scope from any manufacturer is immune to breakage like I had on the hunt I described. Because of that, I will probably be going with QD rings and 2 scopes, pushing this well above my upper end of $1500. I'm going to need to save some more $$$$

Last edited:
Badjer,

If you are going to go the two scope route may I offer a suggestion. I went that route and purchased two of the same exact scopes and rings. In hindsight I would do it differently. Within your budget of course, I would purchase the best scope I could afford as the primary scope and then purchase a lesser scope for the backup. in all the years that I have had my setup I have never needed the backup. Modern scopes are pretty durable, had I gone in the direction I am suggesting I would have had a much better scope for hunting all these years.

JP

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaeMorris

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross