2022 optics for .375 H&H

Badjer

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Hunted
U.S., (WI, MI, NM, ID, TX) Mexico, RSA
Back in 2014 when I first started looking into an African hunt and researching animals, guns, equipment, etc. I read 300 Win Mag was a good option for all plains game and a minimum of .375 H&H for buffalo.
I have shot left handed my whole life due to eye dominance... I had a LH Browning 300 Win Mag and would never pursue buffalo with a RH bolt as a left hand shooter. I wondered at the time if a LH .375 was even a thing.
Lo and behold not too long after I found a Browning LH 375 A-Bolt II on Gunbroker!

Africa went on hold for a few years and as I posted in my "New Member" post I finally did my first trip last August, but rented a 30.06

The time has come to dress up the 375 for future eland, brown bear, and buffalo.
Searching threads here reveal many options for optics for a 375. Problem is most threads are older and the optics recommended have been discontinued.

While an illuminated dot or sight would be nice -- I don't plan on shooting 1000 rounds thru this gun, I hope to not have to shoot past 250 yards. I don't want or need a custom adjustable turret. Finally $1.5k for an optic is out of my range.

Am I screwed for options or just not looking in the right places

In addition, I have read much lately about questionable quality in multiple optic manufacturers. <sigh>

Leupold VX3HD 1.5-5x20 Illuminated firedot (at $700 full retail) would be my recommendation to you. 12.5 oz. in weight, which many overlook until they haul a boat anchor through the bush. The firedot would be superb on a black buff in the dark shadow/shade. 5x is plenty for 250 and under. These come up for sale here occasionally. VX5HD 1-5x24 is great also, but with you monetary comment, perhaps the VX3 would be enough?

I had a Leupold vx-3 1.5-5 on my 375, but just upgraded to a vx-5 2-10. I opted for the vx-5 2-10 standard duplex instead of firedot because I did not want the CDS dial on this scope. I had no problem shooting the 5x to 300 yards, but I wanted the 10x for more confidence doing so and also better light gathering. For quality and price range you are looking for I would look through Leupold’s current models, but unfortunately they seem to be going the CDS dial route on most of their current scopes for some reason I can’t understand. For some guns I like the CDS dial others I’d rather just have a tough scope.

Those older discontinued optics can still be found used and are perfectly fine most of the time. Keeping an eye on the classifieds here, other forums or ebay can get you something good for much less than $1500.

People will recommend European brands and Leupold's of course but don't overlook something like a Bushnell 3200 or 4200. $200-450 used and still sought after.

Just get a 1.5-5×20 and a 2-7×33 Leupold in QD rings, and you're set. Sight both in and use whatever is best for the situation. Really no need to spend so much on a scope to shoot out to 250 yards on big game. You can do anything a 375 needs to do with those two scopes and will still be under $1000. These are also lightweight scopes and will balance nicely on your rifle.

Last edited:
As others have said a low powered Leupold should work for you. You are shooting a caliber with negligible recoil and do not need a stout scope.

Optics are getting better and less expensive every year. As mentioned above a low to mid power vx3 will suit your needs and last a lifetime.

I have a VX5-HD 1-5 on my .375 and .458 Lott, and I love that scope on both of them. The one on my .375 is not a fire dot, the .458 is. Otherwise they are near identical, and I would buy another one if I had another similar rifle.

Seems like ALL Leupolds have the CDS. Leupold is one of the brands myself and others have questioned recent quality. (and too many bells and whistles that aren't needed in most hunting situations) I like Leupold, but a warranty won't do me a spit of good face to face with Buffalo.

Don't get me wrong, CDS and battery lit reticles and quick adjust levers, etc. are great option to have, but I've found the more options the more things to fail. It apperars I may not have much choice

Last edited:
I had a Leupold vx-3 1.5-5 on my 375, but just upgraded to a vx-5 2-10. I opted for the vx-5 2-10 standard duplex instead of firedot because I did not want the CDS dial on this scope. I had no problem shooting the 5x to 300 yards, but I wanted the 10x for more confidence doing so and also better light gathering. For quality and price range you are looking for I would look through Leupold’s current models, but unfortunately they seem to be going the CDS dial route on most of their current scopes for some reason I can’t understand. For some guns I like the CDS dial others I’d rather just have a tough scope.
This has been my thought process as well. Was leaning Leupold VX-3 HD 1.5 to 5, but don't want CDS.
May have to increase my price to get less options on a scope

This has been my thought process as well. Was leaning Leupold VX-3 HD 1.5 to 5, but don't want CDS.
May have to increase my price to get less options on a scope
The VX-freedom 2-7 may be a good option for you. The VX-5 2-10 is one of the few options I see without CDS in their upper end scopes. I have always liked Leupold but if they continue with all CDS I may start to look elsewhere, however I’m unwilling to trust a scope made in China or the Philippines on any of my rifles, so I guess that only leaves the European brands.

I second what others have said. Leupold VX3 or VX5 1-5. Will be plenty. Or the 2-10 VX5 if you want more magnification.
Hit me up in the Deal Section under Leupold optics. I can get you into one cheaper than you think.

Back in 2014 when I first started looking into an African hunt and researching animals, guns, equipment, etc. I read 300 Win Mag was a good option for all plains game and a minimum of .375 H&H for buffalo.
I have shot left handed my whole life due to eye dominance... I had a LH Browning 300 Win Mag and would never pursue buffalo with a RH bolt as a left hand shooter. I wondered at the time if a LH .375 was even a thing.
Lo and behold not too long after I found a Browning LH 375 A-Bolt II on Gunbroker!

Africa went on hold for a few years and as I posted in my "New Member" post I finally did my first trip last August, but rented a 30.06

The time has come to dress up the 375 for future eland, brown bear, and buffalo.
Searching threads here reveal many options for optics for a 375. Problem is most threads are older and the optics recommended have been discontinued.

While an illuminated dot or sight would be nice -- I don't plan on shooting 1000 rounds thru this gun, I hope to not have to shoot past 250 yards. I don't want or need a custom adjustable turret. Finally $1.5k for an optic is out of my range.

Am I screwed for options or just not looking in the right places
Yes it costs money to buy good optics. You want the best you can get for DG. I have a Swaro Z8 1.3-13 with red dot that is ideal.

Seems like ALL Leupolds have the CDS. Leupold is one of the brands myself and others have questioned recent quality. (and too many bells and whistles that aren't needed in most hunting situations) I like Leupold, but a warranty won't do me a spit of good face to face with Buffalo.

Don't get me wrong, CDS and battery lit reticles and quick adjust levers, etc. are great option to have, but I've found the more options the more things to fail. It apperars I may not have much choice
I agree with you here! I wish they'd go back to offering their more traditional scopes lines. The new CDS scopes seem like a ploy to move into the tactical/long range market and away from the hunting market.

Finding a new, no frills, reliable hunting scope will be almost impossible in the near future unless you spend big bucks on a european brand and even they will have to adapt to survive. There are too many cheap asian brands popping up out of the woodwork and too many "tactical" fanboys who fancy themselves the next American Sniper. This will be especially difficult for big bore shooters. JMHO.

And unfortunately I have also heard rumblings of falling Leupold quality. I like good warranties but I don't want to have to use them unless I drop the rifle or something similar.

Leupold VX3HD 1.5-5x20 Illuminated firedot (at $700 full retail) would be my recommendation to you. 12.5 oz. in weight, which many overlook until they haul a boat anchor through the bush. The firedot would be superb on a black buff in the dark shadow/shade. 5x is plenty for 250 and under. These come up for sale here occasionally. VX5HD 1-5x24 is great also, but with you monetary comment, perhaps the VX3 would be enough?
@Badjer If you decide to go with a 1.5-5 Leupold VX-3HD as suggested here by @USMA84DAB I have that exact scope brand new in the box (never mounted or brought outdoors, only taken out of the box for pictures) for sale in the classifieds:

I would look for a used Swarovski, Ziess or Schmidt and Bender 1-4x24 30mm tube. If you look you should find for $800-1,200ish.

All three are awesome glass and will work another lifetime. Seems like some people are upgrading from these scopes to illuminated 1-6 or even 1-8 models and they are around if you look.

I’ll state the obvious. For a rifle that is going to hunt in exotic and expensive places I’d suggest buying nothing but the best quality available.
And then add in some redundancy planning.
On my R8, the 30/06, 308 and 9.3 x 62 barrels are all equipped with iron sights, an Aimpoint H1/2 micro and Zeiss Victory 1.5 to 6 scopes. Obviously the optical sights are QD mounted.
overkill ? Yeah probably….but I’ve never thought so on any of my wilderness adventures.
As to scope size (physical) and weight well…. I can’t see any point in carrying extra weight for no gain. As to magnification…6x is plenty on any biggame rifle.
on my Rigby 375. Other than the iron sights she just has an old discontinued model 1 to 4 Kahles. I’d happily hunt anything, anywhere with that rifle / sight arrangement.
Good luck with what ever you decide to choose

OK - I guess I missed this issue - why do many of you dislike the CDS dials on Leupolds?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markekcertifications

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you