2022 CBP in Atlanta

kdiver58

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
This is another 4457 post. I have been to CBP 3 times this year. First two times zero problems with the suppressors.

Today I head down to get a 4457 signed for a new suppressor and they will not sign it. The woman tells me I need to get something from the US commerce department. I stopped listening after that.

I tell her that I already have 2 and show her the copies I have on my phone and she tells me that I should not have received those.

I have written a letter to CBP but the web site states it may take 5 days.

The outfitter says that the person is wrong. I know they are wrong but if they won’t sign it they won’t sign it.

Does anyone have any documentation from a higher up in the CBP showing that it’s just a piece of paper showing ownership?

Or does anyone have a link to some sort of official rule that will show that a suppressor can be taken to South Africa and back?

The silly part of all of this is I have NEVER had anyone on either side check the paperwork or the suppressors on any of my trips.

I’m looking forward to your help while I wait for CBP to reply.

you are in luck, I now have the info. this will be long. this past April I took my suppressor to SA no issue putting it on my 4457,coming back it was never looked at. before going a customs agent on the phone the only one out of about 8 told me a suppressor is considered by the state dept a military munitions item she knew nothing else. so I called state and was told yes permit was required so on an earlier thread here a person listed the ATF form # 1140-0010 10/31/2022 so I filled it out and after 4 tries go it done the way the ATF wanted it and today in the mail was an approved permit to take my suppressor to So Africa and bring it back for the dates listed. the secret is to line out firearms and write silencer in place and in part 1 name address DO NOT PUT YOUR NAME you are to put the name of the Trust and you will mark trust in the first part I also sent a copy of my trust, so that is how to get it done. just hope customs will not come up with an issue but I was told per a phone call it will not be a problem.

Well it's silly they give people such a hard time. Right now they are batting 100% . For every trip, even the one I returned from yesterday, they have NEVER looked at the suppressors or the paperwork. Ever.
BTW .. I spoke to the CBP at the airport and he told me just bring it on the day of departure. I did for my last one for this trip and it was a 45 second operation.

this past Sept friends from Hammer Bullets took theirs to customs to put on their 4457 and were refused because it took a permit from ATF to take it out of country and back in

this past Sept friends from Hammer Bullets took theirs to customs to put on their 4457 and were refused because it took a permit from ATF to take it out of country and back in
I have written CBP and requested a clarification letter. If I get it I will post it.

you are in luck, I now have the info. this will be long. this past April I took my suppressor to SA no issue putting it on my 4457,coming back it was never looked at. before going a customs agent on the phone the only one out of about 8 told me a suppressor is considered by the state dept a military munitions item she knew nothing else. so I called state and was told yes permit was required so on an earlier thread here a person listed the ATF form # 1140-0010 10/31/2022 so I filled it out and after 4 tries go it done the way the ATF wanted it and today in the mail was an approved permit to take my suppressor to So Africa and bring it back for the dates listed. the secret is to line out firearms and write silencer in place and in part 1 name address DO NOT PUT YOUR NAME you are to put the name of the Trust and you will mark trust in the first part I also sent a copy of my trust, so that is how to get it done. just hope customs will not come up with an issue but I was told per a phone call it will not be a problem.
Please create a new post on this with photos of documents and links to everything.
Every CPB office is different. I had my first problems earlier this year although it was not with suppressors.

Phil, do you mind elaborating a bit on what happened?

As far as I can tell, everyone who has taken a suppressor out of the US without a temporary export permit issued by the state department has done it wrong.

I saw a thread on here the other day about someone who did it the proper way.

when I got my permit this month for next April's trip from ATF it was no charge, but early this year I checked with the State Dept I was told the cost would be 2 300.00 I told the guy this is for personal use only not a business but he informed me it made no difference, I think another Govt that does not know what he is doing, for a company and the form he sent me was 2-3 pages and was for a business importing

I have written CBP and requested a clarification letter. If I get it I will post it.
Well I received a reply today.. It's a joke. "
Thank you for contacting the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Information Center.

We regret the delay in responding to your inquiry and apologize for any inconvenience.

If you would still like a response to your original question or have other questions that you need answered, please reply to this email."

Thank you for contacting the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Information Center.

We regret the delay in responding to your inquiry and apologize for any inconvenience.

If you would still like a response to your original question or have other questions that you need answered, please reply to this email."
Typical .gov response

I am beginning to think that I am just going to leave my suppressor at home for my trip in May.

if you are talking about the permit to take you suppressor in and out of the country it is not a joke. if you had taken the time to down loaded the form # I posted you would have seen that it goes to the ATF not Customs, everyone I have spoken to in Customs says they do not care if you take it only State Dept and ATF. it is so simple to get the approval

They have waited so long to reply that they need to query whether you are still interested in an answer?
Perhaps, they could just answer the question.
Whether that reply is and "auto reply" or not, the US CBP is in serious trouble. That is insane.

if you are talking about the permit to take you suppressor in and out of the country it is not a joke. if you had taken the time to down loaded the form # I posted you would have seen that it goes to the ATF not Customs, everyone I have spoken to in Customs says they do not care if you take it only State Dept and ATF. it is so simple to get the approval
Any chance you could send me a copy of your 1140-0010 with any personal info blocked out? Im willing to jump through a few government hoops to bring my suppressor with me to SA

Mine is individually owned, so no trust

Attachments

• f_5320.20_application_to_transport_interstate_or_to_temporarily_export_certain_national_firear...pdf
    323.8 KB · Views: 56
Hyde Hunter and myself did this for our upcoming trip in April. Super easy and no worries now. Then again it was very simple at customs to add my supressor since it had a serial number to its own 4457.
Roy

Reactions: MTA
Yea I found that fillable form, I just know that the .gov is stupid when it comes to what fields should be marked NA or what fields should be crossed out. It would be nice to see an approved example so I dont have to play ping pong with them

For example, there is a field for barrel length. You and I are reasonable enough to think that should be left blank for a suppressor. Your average 70 iq government worker might disagree though

Yea I found that fillable form, I just know that the .gov is stupid when it comes to what fields should be marked NA or what fields should be crossed out. It would be nice to see an approved example so I dont have to play ping pong with them

For example, there is a field for barrel length. You and I are reasonable enough to think that should be left blank for a suppressor. Your average 70 iq government worker might disagree though
I didn’t make a copy or my filled out form. I’m that spot I wrote the length of my supressor. My ThunderBeast UL7 is 7”. My Energetic Armament LUX is 8.7”. Caliber would be 30. U can PM me and I’ll send u my cell number and I’ll help fill ya in when I’m home from work this evening.

Roy

Reactions: MTA

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross