2020 Ruger African?

There is no guarantee that I am aware of that LIPSEYS (y) will have a new cal every year. Be nice but I wont hold my breath for any of the more obscure calibers. Still trying to figure out why they had one in .223!o_O:confused:

Anybody hear anything about a Ruger African release for 2020? My sales rep at Lipsey’s said he knows nothing for this coming year. A .318 WR, .300 HH, or even 8x57 would be great choices in my opinion...
I had just ask my FFL/Dealer last week the same question. He had heard nothing. I have had my fingers crossed for a .300 HH for some time now.

There is no guarantee that I am aware of that LIPSEYS (y) will have a new cal every year. Be nice but I wont hold my breath for any of the more obscure calibers. Still trying to figure out why they had one in .223!o_O:confused:
Ahhhhh. Yes, Lipseys not Lipsey’s.

Seems like they have a good thing going and I agree, what where they thinking with the .223? Although, it does not have the same look as all the others correct?

I had just ask my FFL/Dealer last week the same question. He had heard nothing. I have had my fingers crossed for a .300 HH for some time now.
I am too. I had thought about buying an extra and having it rebarreled, but honestly, there would be no justification for me. To rechamver would be one thing. To rebarrel, whole new ball game....

Didn’t they introduce the the 375 Ruger because their actions wouldn’t handle the H&H OAL. I wouldn’t hold my breath for a 300 Holland.
Wyatt, I don't know the answer. Does anyone on this thread know for sure?

Anybody hear anything about a Ruger African release for 2020? My sales rep at Lipsey’s said he knows nothing for this coming year. A .318 WR, .300 HH, or even 8x57 would be great choices in my opinion...
Were't you just telling me you were looking to thin the herd and make some room in the gun safe?
Glad to hear you came to your senses.

As for caliber, how about a 7.5x55SE?

If ever a round cried out for commercial legitimization, its the Swiss round.

If ever a round cried out for commercial legitimization, its the Swiss round.
Always been a fan of the 6.5x55SE and now every young punk with a 6.5CM thinks they are breaking new ground...LMAO.
What's old is new again I guess.

But still, the 7.5x55SE is a legit (albeit obscure) hunting round, be nice to see Ruger do it justice.
However, about as likely as the 300H&H.

I have read that Steyr made some of their model M rifles in 7.5 Swiss but they would be exceedingly rare. I don't know of any other maker to chamber for it.

Ahhhhh. Yes, Lipseys not Lipsey’s.

Seems like they have a good thing going and I agree, what where they thinking with the .223? Although, it does not have the same look as all the others correct?
You had Linseys first, that's why I noted LIPSEYS. The .223 version is the same but for lacking a black fore end tip.

The answer on the 223 is that it was intended as a practice rifle. It has the same general dimensions, sights, action, and is even fairly heavy. Meant to be a cheap to feed alternative to get practice for your upcoming Safari where you would use a heavier caliber Ruger Hawkeye African. I would even say it is close enough to serve as practice for an RSM.

I own one, yes it does not have the ebony fore end but is still a good looking rifle.

One guy told me the original marketing plan was to sell them to shooting clubs to make available to members practicing for a Safari. Supposedly only 125 made, half of the recent runs.

Wyatt, I don't know the answer. Does anyone on this thread know for sure?
Yes Wyatt is correct.

The machinery used to make the Ruger Magnum receivers was worn out after the last RSM was made. In fact one of the last made is owned by a friend of a friend in Africa. And it was botched. He returned it to Ruger, they built one more as a replacement for him and he was told that was for sure the last one made. I believe the machinery was scrapped.

With a really small market for Magnum receivers (and rifles). And without someone like Bill Ruger building guns simply because he wants to, devil be damned the profit in it;) The business decision was made to work with 30-06 length actions and put the considerable invest in new machines towards that... Ruger collaborated with Hornady to develop the 375 Ruger and then necked it out to 416.

So no, we will not see a 300 H&H come out of Ruger's factory. Unless somehow they have some leftover actions or collaborate to use someone else's action. I think not likely for 250 guns...

Yes Wyatt is correct.

The machinery used to make the Ruger Magnum receivers was worn out after the last RSM was made. In fact one of the last made is owned by a friend of a friend in Africa. And it was botched. He returned it to Ruger, they built one more as a replacement for him and he was told that was for sure the last one made. I believe the machinery was scrapped.

With a really small market for Magnum receivers (and rifles). And without someone like Bill Ruger building guns simply because he wants to, devil be damned the profit in it;) The business decision was made to work with 30-06 length actions and put the considerable invest in new machines towards that... Ruger collaborated with Hornady to develop the 375 Ruger and then necked it out to 416.

So no, we will not see a 300 H&H come out of Ruger's factory. Unless somehow they have some leftover actions or collaborate to use someone else's action. I think not likely for 250 guns...
Well that is disappointing to here, although, like Wyatt I think I have heard that before from somewhere. I guess I'll just keep looking for another M70 XTR in great condition and have a smith "Africanize" it!
P.S. Another possibility would be to hit the Tulsa show in early November and look for one there. Those of you that have been are aware that you can find most anything there if willing to pay for it. Haven't been in 4 years. Probably need to get up off my dying a... and go!

Last edited:
Well that is disappointing to here, although, like Wyatt I think I have heard that before from somewhere. I guess I'll just keep looking for another M70 XTR in great condition and have a smith "Africanize" it!
P.S. Another possibility would be to hit the Tulsa show in early November and look for one there. Those of you that have been are aware that you can find most anything there if willing to pay for it. Haven't been in 4 years. Probably need to get up off my dying a... and go!
David you did hear it before... From me;)

I'd also love to take in the Wanamacher Show again. But hunting keeps getting in the way:) Maybe the spring show......

David you did hear it before... From me;)

I'd also love to take in the Wanamacher Show again. But hunting keeps getting in the way:) Maybe the spring show......
Speaking of hunting, did you get a brown bear in Alaska a couple of months ago?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jack849688

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg