Wade J VanGinkel

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Just thought I'd start the new year but posting my family's plans for 2020 and further.
I work as much as possible to make this happen. My only day off in december was Christmas. I'm just a produce manager in a grocery store near Aspen but I guess fortunately we're always understaffed making my ot possible.
Anyway,
First up is a trip in March to costa rica for 2 days of fishing for sailfish and such. This will be my first trip out of the country other than Canada so if anyone has any tips for that area or international travel it's appreciated.
I'll be taking my son, his gf, his 1 year old son, my daughter, and my other 10 year old grandson.
In june my son, grandson and I will be driving to Texas for 2 days of alligator gar fishing. Then picking up my daughter at the dallas airport to join us for 2 more days fishing bass and catfish at lake Towakami with a friend in the area there.
All the assorted colorado tags we draw of course in the fall. My son's gf will be taking her hunter safety next month so she'll be added to the mix this year.
Possibly running to Az for a diy coues hunt the end of October. Didn't draw last year.
Hopefully taking my grandson who will then be 11 to texas for his first deer hunt right at the end of december. We hunt near Childress.
That will close the year for what to me are big things.
April 2021 will bring my son and I on our first safari to Africa.
Hope everyone has great plans as well

Good luck on your fishing and hunting trips. Enjoy the planning for Africa. The anticipation is half the fun. :D

Having plans for the year ahead that include family in the outdoors is a great way to start the year. In feb I will drive up to Christchurch (5 1/2 hrs away) and Lynette and I will get on the train for the trans alpine run over the central divide to the westcoast and back. It is one of the main scenic train trips and is reputed to be one of the best ones in the country. I have driven over the mountains a few times but driving dosent equate to a lot of viewing of scenery as I am always road focused and miss a lot so looking forward to being able to relax and enjoy the views. I will get back into the high country for goat and deer as time and opportunity present themselves although the freezer is still healthy from last year. Other than that I hope to spend as much time in the shed making knives and developing new ideas in a couple of areas.

Having plans for the year ahead that include family in the outdoors is a great way to start the year. In feb I will drive up to Christchurch (5 1/2 hrs away) and Lynette and I will get on the train for the trans alpine run over the central divide to the westcoast and back. It is one of the main scenic train trips and is reputed to be one of the best ones in the country. I have driven over the mountains a few times but driving dosent equate to a lot of viewing of scenery as I am always road focused and miss a lot so looking forward to being able to relax and enjoy the views. I will get back into the high country for goat and deer as time and opportunity present themselves although the freezer is still healthy from last year. Other than that I hope to spend as much time in the shed making knives and developing new ideas in a couple of areas.
We have some scenic trains here in colorado also but I've never used them. Might have to check it out
Is there free range hunting there without having to use outfitters? For non residents?

Just thought I'd start the new year but posting my family's plans for 2020 and further.
I work as much as possible to make this happen. My only day off in december was Christmas. I'm just a produce manager in a grocery store near Aspen but I guess fortunately we're always understaffed making my ot possible.
Anyway,
First up is a trip in March to costa rica for 2 days of fishing for sailfish and such. This will be my first trip out of the country other than Canada so if anyone has any tips for that area or international travel it's appreciated.
I'll be taking my son, his gf, his 1 year old son, my daughter, and my other 10 year old grandson.
In june my son, grandson and I will be driving to Texas for 2 days of alligator gar fishing. Then picking up my daughter at the dallas airport to join us for 2 more days fishing bass and catfish at lake Towakami with a friend in the area there.
All the assorted colorado tags we draw of course in the fall. My son's gf will be taking her hunter safety next month so she'll be added to the mix this year.
Possibly running to Az for a diy coues hunt the end of October. Didn't draw last year.
Hopefully taking my grandson who will then be 11 to texas for his first deer hunt right at the end of december. We hunt near Childress.
That will close the year for what to me are big things.
April 2021 will bring my son and I on our first safari to Africa.
Hope everyone has great plans as well
For God's sake - if you are travelling to Costa Rica stay for longer than 48 hours!!!!!! That is bordering on a clinical issue. We are headed down in March for our second trip to its Pacific Coast. A fabulous place to both fish and relax. You need at least a week.

For God's sake - if you are travelling to Costa Rica stay for longer than 48 hours!!!!!! That is bordering on a clinical issue. We are headed down in March for our second trip to its Pacific Coast. A fabulous place to both fish and relax. You need at least a week.
Sorry, 2 full days of fishing plus several days of whatever comes up.
Staying in Manuel Antonio and fishing out of Quepos

Taking the clan south for a week of fishing and chilling on Costa Rica's Pacific coast in March. Then headed to Russia's Kamchatka Peninsula in April/May with a friend for brown bear. Finally, and assuming I survive frigging Siberia, the lovely Mrs Red Leg will be doing a river cruise from Prague to Paris in October - blows a hole in the hunting budget, but I fortunately realized long ago she was worth it.

Heading to the East Cape in mid April for PG with my youngest daughter and her husband. Then in late May my wife and I will be driving out to South Dakota for the volksmarch at Crazy Horse Memorial with a stop over at Lake Oahe for a few days of fishing. Late August I'll be back in Ontario with my son for a week of black bear hunting and fishing. October 1st or there about you'll find me back in Kaycee, WY with my son, son in law and a few friends for a couple of weeks of deer and pronghorn hunting.

I could end up in wyoming also,
I've got enough points for a decent antelope hunt.
Just not sure if enough time this year
I have 5 points going into the special draw for antelope in Wy this year. Montana in 2021 and back to Africa in 22' wife said I need to take a few years off after that run but have my eye on mountain lion and moose somewhere in there as well. Best of luck on a well planned out year!!

I have 5 points going into the special draw for antelope in Wy this year. Montana in 2021 and back to Africa in 22' wife said I need to take a few years off after that run but have my eye on mountain lion and moose somewhere in there as well. Best of luck on a well planned out year!!
Same to you!
I have 6 points. Hunted 63 last time and took an 80" antelope.
Got a lion way back in 97 here in Colorado. Newfoundland moose about 4 years ago.

Jan - Goose/Crane hunt, varmint hunts (coyote, grey fox, bobcat)
April - Zimbabwe
Sept - hopefully draw for a mule deer tag in Utah again
Oct-Dec - deer season at home

Hopefully add a few more hunts in there along the way

We have some scenic trains here in colorado also but I've never used them. Might have to check it out
Is there free range hunting there without having to use outfitters? For non residents?
Yes. There are hunting blocks all over the country for recreational hunting. You will need to supply an address for securing your rifles while you are here but hunting permits are simple to get.

2020 hunting plans are unsettled for me. Hoping my USFWS lion import permit comes through so between that being up in the air and both my sons getting married (April & August), I haven’t planned anything else. Could perhaps draw a special tag somewhere in the western states but that’s always the luck of the draw. Otherwise, I will be living vicariously through hunting with my clients in Alaska in May and Colorado in the fall, not to mention cheering all of you on here on AH. I really enjoy your stories.

both my sons getting married (April & August)
Congratulations!
But Scott, you get paid to hunt vicariously! Great adventures I’m certain!

Congratulations!
But Scott, you get paid to hunt vicariously! Great adventures I’m certain!
Thank you! We love both fiancé’s. Good girls from good families.

Yes, somehow I did figure out how to hunt six months a year and get paid. Some great adventures and some crazy stories that I will publish someday but not sure if anyone would be interested.

Great to read everyone else's plans... Gives me inspiration and motivation.

2020 has me salmon/steelhead fishing in BC the first week of July and then the group hunt with KMG safari's in September.

2021 looks like back to my favorite chinook fishing camp in June and hopefully a black bear hunt in SE Alaska. I really hope that hunt pans out....

Deer for another month, small game until the end of February, groundhogs start in April, a May cull hunt with Nick Bowker in RSA, back to groundhogs and other vermin all summer. Finish up with fall and winter archery and firearm for whitetails. Pretty much hunting every week ten months a year in between trips to the gun clubs to stay sharp. Still have to build three rifles for various disciplines.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JameShiple

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!