YancyW

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, SCI, RMEF, Ducks Unlimited
I am pulling out early tomorrow morning for my Wyoming elk hunt. I will be leaving the compound around 6am and will be driving to Laramie, then on Monday heading up to Jackson to spend a couple days in the altitude before we ride out to camp on Wednesday.

I am hunting with Trophy Mountain Outfitters, this is my first hunt with them, but from the interaction with them so far, I feel pretty good about the choice of outfitter.

Talk to you all in a few days.

I helped with a hunt here in Utah during the past week and the bulls were off the hook rut crazy! Hope you find them the same in Wyoming. Enjoy the hunt, elk hunting is all about the experience and I hope you have a great one!

Looking forward to this, love elk hunting!

I’ve only elk hunted in Colorado, so I am anxious to hear about Wyoming! Are you hunting in the Bridger Wilderness? Or in the Tetons?

I helped with a hunt here in Utah during the past week and the bulls were off the hook rut crazy! Hope you find them the same in Wyoming. Enjoy the hunt, elk hunting is all about the experience and I hope you have a great one!

This is the rifle opener, so I hope they are still firing in a week.

I hope everything goes well and that you bag a nice Elk. Hunting for one has always been something I wanted to do. When I was more able I couldn't afford it, now that I can afford it, I'm no longer able. Such is life. What kind of rifle and caliber will you be using? Horse back or on foot?

I hope everything goes well and that you bag a nice Elk. Hunting for one has always been something I wanted to do. When I was more able I couldn't afford it, now that I can afford it, I'm no longer able. Such is life. What kind of rifle and caliber will you be using? Horse back or on foot?

It is a horseback hunt, I don’t get to ride near as much now that I have to do grown up things, so I use this as a chance to spend some time riding.

I am carrying my 300 rum, loaded with 200gr AFrames. It isn’t a super hot load, but I was ringing steel, from 100 to 300, off sticks all last week. My shoulder isn’t happy, but I am!

My shoulder isn’t happy, but I am!
Ouch! :LOL::ROFLMAO: I’ve ridden horses in the mountains, but have never been on a horse pack trip! It sounds like a great time. I have had to haul a number of elk and mule deer out on my back, but I think I’m getting a little “long in the tooth” to be doing it much more.
I’m envious of your pack trip! Hope you have a great time and take a fine animal!

Have a great hunt!

Hope you have a fantastic time.

Hope you have a great hunt. Sounds like a fun trip. I like many others here on AH will be in looking forward to reading your hunt for report.

Spent the night in Laramie, decided to walk over to the track at U of Wyoming and get in a workout. I was sucking wind pretty quick.

25DD3EAF-086D-4B27-9287-043E43867B5C.jpeg

Attachments

• 25DD3EAF-086D-4B27-9287-043E43867B5C.jpeg
    7.3 MB · Views: 232
Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: WAB
I lived in WY at 7,000 ft for nine years. Never thought much about the elevation. Now I go back and feel like I’m dying on the first hill! Good luck on your hunt! What area are you hunting in?

Good luck!
I find that lots of water and minimal sugar help me with big altitude changes.

Your caliber choice will work great!

I lived in WY at 7,000 ft for nine years. Never thought much about the elevation. Now I go back and feel like I’m dying on the first hill! Good luck on your hunt! What area are you hunting in?

We are hunting to the northeast of Jackson.

Good luck!
I find that lots of water and minimal sugar help me with big altitude changes.

Your caliber choice will work great!

So you are saying the case of soda I’m packing in might not be the best idea?

When I stopped drinking soda 12 years ago, I basically stopped all sugared drinks. Now 99% of what I drink now is water or coffee, it really has made a big difference, those drinks accounted for a ton of calories.

We are hunting to the northeast of Jackson.

That’s a beautiful area, have a great time! Be aware that rifle shots are dinner bells for grizzlies in that area. You’re guided so your guide will know how to handle it.

That’s a beautiful area, have a great time! Be aware that rifle shots are dinner bells for grizzlies in that area. You’re guided so your guide will know how to handle it.

Yes, I sure hope so. I also always carry a handgun when hunting, so the red hawk will be with me. Not that it is always a cure for that situation, but it beats empty hands.

I read that last week 3 hunters were attacked just north of Yellowstone. One bear, two separate attacks I believe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RosalineCl

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg