Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI, DSC Life, NRA Life, NAHC Life, Trout Unlimited
Hunted
South Africa. AK, CA, FL, GA, KS, SC, CO, MO, PA, ID, VA, WY, TX
Looking for inputs… My father joined me for a very enjoyable hunt in RSA in 2013. I took a buffalo with my 458 WM and a few PG animals. Our little retirement cottage/house is pretty well full as far as trophies go, so I won’t bring home anything but skull mounts and such in the future (the missus thinks elephant tusks by the fireplace would be OK). I just bought a 470 NE to replace one I sold some years back. I believe I’ve narrowed down my 2016 options (2015 is shot with our son’s graduation in Colorado and two military retirements to attend in Florida and New Mexico) to two broad categories:
1) It’s all about me. South Africa was wonderful, but I’m considering a buffalo hunt (Zim), or perhaps an elephant hunt (Namibia for non-trophy bull), elsewhere. I looked at the APNR properties for ele/buff, but they seem pricy to me. Good opportunity to use the double rifle for its intended purpose.

2) “Thanks” to my landowner/friend. When I retired in South Carolina in 2012, I met up with a gentleman a few years my senior, and we’ve become shooting and campfire friends. He’d never dream of hunting Africa, but helped me tweak my 458 and even rigged up a charging buffalo system to help me hone my speed/accuracy work. I might be able to convince him to join me on a 9-10 day PG hunt in South Africa on my dime. I’d still like to use the 470 on some close-up game (giraffe?) and have him take a zebra, a small antelope, and a wildebeest – he has no more room in his house than I have in mine. Frankly, he’d enjoy the typically good South African game cooking as much as the hunting. The property would have to be very large.

What do you folks think?

1) If I was thinking non-trophy bull ele and not worried therefore about tusks, I'd give more thought to a tuskless hunt in Zim. Cost effective and while I've never done it, I've read that it can be awfully exciting.

2) Heck of a nice idea. Knowing what PG you lack and what you'd like, would be of help with recommendations.

I think a tuskless elephant in Zimbabwe would be awesome.

Thanks for the responses gentlemen.

If I go for elephant, I'd like to have replica/reproduction tusks, preferably from actual casts made from the tusks, for the fireplace at home. Even if I do buffalo instead, I'll just go with a skull mount. My buffalo at home sticks out over 40" from the wall and fairly takes over the room as my lovely, and fortunately non-mute, wife reminds me now and then.

As far as plains game, heck, I lack everything except zebra, Blue Wildebeest, and impala. I think a Black Wildebeest skull mount would look nice as I love the Blue Wildebeest skull mount I have at home. For my friend, everyone "needs" a zebra skin on the floor and he could fit some not-so-tall skull mounts on his wall.

I'd say if replicas are okay, then I'd say Zim is probably still your best bet for elephant. Haven't seen the prices for ele in Namibia, but it's primarily in the Caprivi if I recall correctly, and it's pricy there.

If it's a Black Wildebeest you're after, I can in all honesty, if with a slight bit of shame, recommend HartzView Safaris. HartzView is black wildebeest country and there are some very good trophies on the 20K acre property. Agree with you, a skull mount looks great on these.

I can say paw print safaris can help you out with black wildbeast and that zebra plus all the rest.One of the guys who went with me took a great black wildbeast.Plenty of animals to look over and some good ranches to hunt.

First off, I had a great elephant hunt for a trophy bull in Zimbabwe that was not that much more money than tuskless... Although "not that much more" is a relative term and can mean something completely different to different people. From the experience when the cows were around, I would fully agree that a tuskless cow hunt would indeed be exciting! Likely much more so than any bull... other than the excitement of having a big bull with nice tusks in your sights!! I was definitely more concerned for our safety when cows were around. I still have the vision in my mind's eye of a big bull pulling up and actually stopping so quickly that his head rebounded... When a smaller but old cow wanted the right of way through the bushes.... (comparable to an experienced old married man).

And I had the opportunity to add a buff for the $4000 trophy fee so could not pass up that deal... But it was a challenge to get both done.

I am getting replica's made of my tusks. I did ask specifically to have mold made from my originals. Feel free to check back in the future, not sure when they will be done. We did visit the taxidermist and they had some on display. From a distance you cannot tell the difference. But they are light weight fiberglass. Probably don't want hot embers landing on them?

That said;
Of your two options, I would definitely do option 2. Take the opportunity to share with a friend and give back, that will be the more rewarding hunt of the two options and make the best memories. And I would get flat skins tanned of all those trophies as well as the skull mounts.... And think about adding a red hartebeest to your blue and black wildebeest... Go for the Beest Slam!

Good Hunting!

Another thought regarding elephant. You might should contact @Jaco Strauss about his new Save River concession. The concession is close to Gonarhezou Park which is full of elephants and some very big ones.

Oh forgot to mention Badger Matt;
I think Eland would be just dandy to do with a 470, in addition to the giraffe. We stalked up a mountainside and got very close to eland a couple times. They make a lot of noise eating, giving you a chance to close in if you have the wind and cover.

And the flat skins can be tanned used as rugs or whatever pretty cheaply... It is the felt backing, etc. that adds up. There are lots of Eland, kudu, wildebeest, impala, springbuck, gemsbok, etc. Skins laying on floors and draped over sofas in Africa. And you can always use them to recover furniture. And keep some giraffe leg bones to prop up by the fireplace until you get the elephant tusks! Then make lamp stands or something out of them... Lots of creative ways to use "trophies" other than mounts.

If it were me it would be the hunt for Elie

Hi, Badger Matt,
We have some excellent areas for Black Wildebeest, which will also give you an opportunity at Vaal Rhebuck here in the Eastern Cape.
Please don't hesitate to contact us should you require any info.

Take Care,
Marius Goosen

Hello Badger Matt. I have quite large areas available for all the plainsgame you have in mind. Some of these areas also have buffalo at affordable pricing. Feel free to contact me for any information.

Hi Badger Matt , congrats with your new 470. Buffalo hunting in the APNR need not be expensive. Send me an e mail or PM . I've been hunting a prime reserve in the APNR exclusively for the past 10 years. A beautiful area , unlike anywhere else in South Africa with true free roaming herds of Buffalo. Just the place to initiate that 470...

Happy hunting

Hi Badger Matt

If your neighbor that you were talking about wanted to tag along, i am sure you will be able to find a 10 day Plains
Game safari for the two (2) of you and you should be able to each obtain six (6) to (7) trophy animals each.

We have a few very good Outfitters and PH'S that are posting some build your safari options. I think that they have been mentioned earlier in the post, However i took the liberty to check the AH outfitter deals to find some additional that you may want to look at and compare expenses. By no means is this a complete list of Outfitters and PH'S on AH.

KMG Hunting Safaris - South Africa, Namibia, Zambia,
HartzView Safaris,
Paw Print safaris
LAKE SAFARIS,
Bos en Dal Safaris,
TOOTABI HUNTING SAFARIS,
Jaco Strauss - Kwalata Wilderness safaris - South Africa & Mozambique.
This option should be a blast for the two (2) of you, and you may want to take your charming bride along to enjoy the countryside.

I am not recommending one over the other, however, i suggest that you check references for each and that send an e mail to each after you have looked at each of their web locations or sent them a PM to chat about what you are thinking about doing.

Giraffe you are thinking for your double, how about eland instead. These are the kind of questions you may be getting when building your trophy list.

Hi, Badger Matt,
We have some excellent areas for Black Wildebeest, which will also give you an opportunity at Vaal Rhebuck here in the Eastern Cape.
Please don't hesitate to contact us should you require any info.

Take Care,
Marius Goosen

I believe you'll be in Raleigh, North Carolina at the end of January. If so, I look forward to meeting you. The Eastern Cape is looking better and better to me. My next door neighbors are from RSA and when their father visited he invited me to stay with he and his wife in Port Elizabeth for a few days. That would make for a nice hunting and sightseeing trip.

Thanks for the responses gentlemen.

If I go for elephant, I'd like to have replica/reproduction tusks, preferably from actual casts made from the tusks, for the fireplace at home. Even if I do buffalo instead, I'll just go with a skull mount. My buffalo at home sticks out over 40" from the wall and fairly takes over the room as my lovely, and fortunately non-mute, wife reminds me now and then.

As far as plains game, heck, I lack everything except zebra, Blue Wildebeest, and impala. I think a Black Wildebeest skull mount would look nice as I love the Blue Wildebeest skull mount I have at home. For my friend, everyone "needs" a zebra skin on the floor and he could fit some not-so-tall skull mounts on his wall.
I've seen quite a few buffalo skull mounts and they definitely are a very good choice and certainly don't eat up as much space in the trophy room.

As for your choice of hunts if you want to include the elephant in Zimbabwe I have a friend who is one of the most respected outfitters in Africa I know could help you out and they of course have lots of plains game available as well.

An alternative that might be very appealing though would be to do the elephant hunt with them and I could highly recommend someone else for buffalo, giraffe, and all of the plains game and they both would have first class accommodations along with a very professional fully staffed outfit.

I know them both personally and one of them is an advertiser and member here at HA. Feel free to drop me a private message and I'll be glad to help if I can.

I believe you'll be in Raleigh, North Carolina at the end of January. If so, I look forward to meeting you. The Eastern Cape is looking better and better to me. My next door neighbors are from RSA and when their father visited he invited me to stay with he and his wife in Port Elizabeth for a few days. That would make for a nice hunting and sightseeing trip.

PM sent.

From what I've seen of the Eastern Cape (not to mention the game taken there) I can definitely recommend going there. The scenery was truly breathtaking and it's full of really great people.

Badger Matt, congratz on the new 470. I used my 450 double on warthog and zebra in 2013 and Cape buff this year. My 9.3 double accounted for Eland and Sable this year also. My suggestion is that you can use it for anything you want, you know how dangerous those charging Dik-dik can be:ROFLMAO: Challenge yourself and the PH to getting you in close. Klipspringer with a double would be a interesting endeavour. No matter what you choose may you and your hunting buddy enjoy the hunt, food, wine and friends sitting by a nice fire under the southern cross!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaja

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,