Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
SCI NRA QDMA NWTF TU DU
Hunted
Namibia, Botswana, Zimbabwe, South Africa, USA, South, Central America & New Zealand
We are home once again and back to the reality of work, traffic, overpopulation, and the generally unfriendly people of South Florida. Our annual pilgrimages to the western states are more than mere vacations or fishing trips. They are a rejuvenation of the soul and a restoration of faith in the human race once again. It's good to know that there are still some unspoiled locations where the flora and fauna is breathtaking, and the general population is without malice or agenda. I truly envy those of you who make your homes in the western states, and I hope to join those of you who get to reside in a place of serenity and sanity in the not too distant future.

We did most of our fly fishing in western Montana this trip. We were blessed once again with great weather, consistent bug hatches and solid fishing. Here are just a few of our better pics from the trip.

The salmon fly hatch on the west fork of the Bitterroot River, Montana.
IMG_1161.JPG

Typical chunky rainbow in the west fork of the Bitterroot.
IMG_1189.JPG

My wife Lisa, and our super-guide Nate McDonnough with another healthy Bitterroot rainbow.
IMG_1185.JPG

Nice, fat native cut-throat on the main Bitterroot River near Darby, Montana.
IMG_1202.JPG

Solid, typical 18-20" rainbow on the Clark Fork River just west of Missoula.
IMG_1248.JPG

Cut-throat release on the Clark Fork.
IMG_1213.JPG

Me and Lisa with another nice rainbow on our second float of the Clark Fork.
IMG_1224.JPG

Stocky cut-throat on Rock Creek near Clinton, Montana.
IMG_1166.JPG

One of many healthy little browns wading on Flint Creek near Philipsburg. Montana.
IMG_1610.JPG

Cut-bow wading the Missouri River out of Craig, Montana.
IMG_1563.JPG

The Mission Range near Flathead Lake, Montana.
IMG_1159.JPG

The Pioneer Range in the Big Hole Valley just south of Anaconda, Montana.
IMG_1251.JPG

Curious, young big horn sheep that took a special interest in my back casts.
IMG_1264.JPG

Nice fish in a beautiful area! Not sure I'd go back home if I ever made it there!

Lots of nice fish, in a great area. The Salmonfly hatch is a blast.

I've spent many day's flyfishing southwest Montana. It's a special place!

Nice fish and nice pics, congrats on the trip! Love the western sates!

God's country out there in fished the Upper Ruby River out there a few years back with my dad and have wanted to go back ever since. Congrats on some great fish !

Great fishing in. MT.

Wish I could !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Glen

You are very correct about how fishing Montana properly readjusts ones attitude on life. I was on the Madison outside of West Yellostone on Tuesday. Just remembering makes me do this:D

God's country out there in fished the Upper Ruby River out there a few years back with my dad and have wanted to go back ever since. Congrats on some great fish !
The Ruby is a great little river, my place is right by the resivoir. I will be a permenent fixture there one day again.
Great pictures! I grew up fishing the Clarks Fork, Bitteroot and Rock Cr. was always a wonderful place. The Sheep in the Rock Cr drainage are some of the finest to be had! Glad you enjoyed God's Country!
Cheers,
Cody

@Bullthrower338 I can't imagine being that close to a river like that! I'm fairly certain my housework and work to fishing ration would get skewed to the chagrin of my wife. Supposedly the area gives up some great hunting too, and some of the buck in velvet I saw (it was early August) certainly seemed to bear that out.

@Bullthrower338 I can't imagine being that close to a river like that! I'm fairly certain my housework and work to fishing ration would get skewed to the chagrin of my wife. Supposedly the area gives up some great hunting too, and some of the buck in velvet I saw (it was early August) certainly seemed to bear that out.
With the wolf populations finally being whittled down the hunting is getting better! I stood on my property one morning and and saw from one spot elk, antelope, mule deer, whitetail and bighorn sheep!
image.jpeg

Any of you guys get up that way PM me, I have a great camp spot on the place and My Dad is always up to show somebody around.
Cheers,
Cody

That's a sweet offer Cody! I have a buddy who is guiding on the ruby and surrounding rivers. He has been after me for years to get up there with him but I've been truly afraid I wouldn't come home. It also doesn't help that flights from maine to montana in the fall cost as much as cheap tickets to joburg

You are very correct about how fishing Montana properly readjusts ones attitude on life. I was on the Madison outside of West Yellostone on Tuesday. Just remembering makes me do this:D
Where you in the park, or up on Highway 191, or the Madison valley?

The Madison is my "home away from home", when I'm in Montana. Love it!

With the wolf populations finally being whittled down the hunting is getting better! I stood on my property one morning and and saw from one spot elk, antelope, mule deer, whitetail and bighorn sheep! View attachment 154271
Any of you guys get up that way PM me, I have a great camp spot on the place and My Dad is always up to show somebody around.
Cheers,
Cody

Be cautioned Cody,

I have been known to show up in hunting/fishing camps, with only the slightest invitation, and I have a flyrod "problem" (fly-fishing addiction).
However, likewise if you ever get up this way please do look me up, you'd be welcome at my place any time.

Cheerio,
Velo Dog (Paul).

Be cautioned Cody,

I have been known to show up in hunting/fishing camps, with only the slightest invitation, and I have a flyrod "problem" (fly-fishing addiction).
However, likewise if you ever get up this way please do look me up, you'd be welcome at my place any time.

Cheerio,
Velo Dog (Paul).
Thank You Paul, I plan on it one day and I've always show up with a good scotch to ensure a warm welcome. The Madison Valley has some fine shopping for the afflicted fly fisherman. Custom Rod shops like Mexican restaurants in Houston, all over the place! Plus just a short drive to Wesley Richards American Agency in Bozeman to drool over some fine rifles and shotguns.
Anytime you feel like the trip let me know, I will gladly make an excuse to fly home!
Cheers,
Cody

Congrats on some great fish Dan! Living out west is pretty great - come on out, there's lots of room!

With the wolf populations finally being whittled down the hunting is getting better! I stood on my property one morning and and saw from one spot elk, antelope, mule deer, whitetail and bighorn sheep! View attachment 154271
Cheers,
Cody

Just slammed on the brakes in Amarillo. Having intense negotiations with PB:sneaky:

Just slammed on the brakes in Amarillo. Having intense negotiations with PB:sneaky:
Lol, not to late, just a mere 17 hours back up there!

Well I lost. I am in Clarendon TX now. A look was made and a comment about being gone 22 days along with a few adjectives convinced me to go home. However to help Bullthowers state of mind because he does live in the armpit of Texas I propose an AH Rendevous for next summer in Montana(y)

Well I lost. I am in Clarendon TX now. A look was made and a comment about being gone 22 days along with a few adjectives convinced me to go home. However to help Bullthowers state of mind because he does live in the armpit of Texas I propose an AH Rendevous for next summer in Montana(y)
I'm in! And it isn't the armpit exactly, I believe that is closer to Pecos, I'm more centrally located where if they were going to give Texas an enema, they would insert the tube!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ModestaHac

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg