Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Asia/M.East
Member of
NRA endowment member/Life member
Hunted
All 6 Continents
I have tested many 20 ga slugs lately. This is my favorite.
Advertised at 1600 fps.........FWB
IMG_8560.jpg

2337 Ft Lbs of energy from a 20.........................FWB

IMG_8556.PNG

Last edited by a moderator:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-10-02 at 9.00.59 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-10-02 at 9.00.59 AM.png
    1 MB · Views: 164
  • Screen Shot 2020-10-02 at 9.01.02 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-10-02 at 9.01.02 AM.png
    891.1 KB · Views: 163
  • Screen Shot 2020-10-02 at 9.01.07 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-10-02 at 9.01.07 AM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 153
A substantial improvement on my slug gun, for sure
Am using a Benelli Nova ( in this case a 20) with a Leupold muzzleloader scope with heavy crosshair and short parallax ......................FWB

The one deer that I shot with a shotgun was with a 20 ga Browning OU using a Rottweil Brenneke slug. That was in 1983 well before they developed the Sabot et al. The fork-horn buck fell at the shot without taking another step.

I have a Browning A-Bolt 12 bore fully rifled "shotgun" with which I shot a dozen deer or more in eastern Maryland. With a quality sabot it easily will put three rounds into 1.5 inches at 100 meters. Yes, I have it scoped. Regrettably little use for such a gun in Texas.

We have scoped slug guns specifically for hunting public river bottom land. I use a fully rifled 870 with cantilever scope mount and my wife has an 1187. We use Remington Accutips with devastating effects and 1.5 inch accuracy.
7A113A37-D0B7-43BA-ABF7-3740732E0F19.jpeg

Last edited:
We have scoped slug guns specifically for hunting public river bottom land. I use a fully rifled 870 with cantilever scope mount and my wife has an 1187. We use Remington Accutips with devastating effects and 1.5 inch accuracy.View attachment 370322
So you were aiming at the backbone of that fawn or you were up in a tree?

Have a video somewhere of someone using a double-barreled 20 gauge slug gun for cape buffalo and it worked out perfectly! It is my son's favorite caliber to use for big whitetail deer in thick swamps...

Honestly about half. We were hunting Tombigbee River bottoms where the Corp of engineers have made levies for flood control. I slipped I’m off the river bank stalking up the side of the dike wall. It was really thick with palmettos and scrub brush. About half way down the wall, i jumped this doe on the other opposite side of the the levy. It was a blur for a second but she made a couple of bounds, I shouldered the gun like a covey rise of quail, squeezed the tigger and this is the aftermath.

I’ve never had a deer run more than a few steps with these slugs. Most of the time they just drop.
D685D4C6-8758-4B98-9C52-6FA211AE429F.jpeg

My 20 ga Benelli is rifled as well. And while I have some good and favorite smooth bore loads for other guns, the slug at the start of this thread is for rifled bbls. I do not get 1.5 inch groups, but close. In my gun, the Remington slugs gave good accuracy too...................On deer sized game, I do not believe a 12 ga would provide any significant advantage over a 20....to me......attached is a foto of a chrono of another slug brand in 20 ga, also advertised at 1600fps.............thanks for posts................FWB
View album “Recents” (1).jpg

I use a browning BPS 12 gauge with a fully rifled Hastings Barrel. It has open sights very similar to those on a Winchester Safari Express rifle. I use brenneke black magic slugs. I have honestly never shot a deer with past 50 yards. The brush is simply way to thick. I shoot the heart most of the time, sometimes I get the lungs, but the deer always make it between 30 and 100 yards.

My 12 ga/.22Hornet turkey has a .45-70 barrel insert that shoots 300 grain ammo well enough to take deer at 100 yards. However, my other guns get the call rather than the O/U.

I don't shoot a 20b but I am a big fan of the way Rottweil load Brenneke slugs in 12b.

Scrummy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross