2 Brothers, 2 Buffaloes & 1 Over Turned Boat!

Major Khan

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Ah , the Asiatic water buffalo. This slain brute in the photograph , looks so docile and harmless ... Does he not ? Well ... I assure all of my Dear Readers that the struggle to dispatch this black coated horned rascal , nearly led to the deaths of ALL 8 members of our shikar party . Oh , and our boat man was not too happy with the brute’s antics ... Either .

So exactly ... What events had transpired , that nearly led to the demise of 8 people ? I shall be narrating the story tonight ( In 3 portions ) . Let us turn the clocks back , Dear Readers ... To the January of 1969 .

ECF0E329-C8C7-49BA-AB77-816EDE15EE10.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Shikar season was going strong , and old Tobin and I were both doing what we did best - Guide foreign clients for shikar in the vast forests of Old India . 1 fine Wednesday evening . we were both summoned to the office of Allwyn Cooper Limited’s owner ... Mr. Vidya C Shukla . Mr. Shukla introduced us both to our new clients . They were 2 brothers from Argentina . For the sake of convenience, let us refer to them both ... as E & H .

They had 1 goal , and 1 goal , only : They wished to hunt a brace of Moheesh ( Asiatic water buffalo ) . And they stipulated that the Moheesh must be bulls , sporting record horns . This was certainly a stipulation , which the employees of Allwyn Cooper Limited could abide by ... And both Tobin and I were glad to accommodate them , by acting as their professional shikarees .

We examined the battery of the 2 Argentine gentle men . They had brought along 2 rifles :
> E’s rifle was a Birmingham Small Arms ( BSA ) Lee Speed sporting bolt rifle , chambered in 8 x 50 mm Mannlicher . For this rifle , E had brought along 4 boxes of old ( But properly packed ) ICI Kynoch 244 grain soft point round nosed cartridges .
> H’s rifle was a BRNO ZKK 602 modified Mauser action bolt rifle , chambered in .375 Holland & Holland magnum . For this rifle , H had brought along 2 boxes of Remington Peters 300 grain solid metal covered round nosed cartridges .

Tobin and I rationalized that the battery was perfectly adequate enough ... For E’s and H’s purposes ( Especially If the very 1st shot was placed correctly , in the case of each Moheesh ) . How ever , Tobin voiced a wish that H had brought along a box of Winchester Silver Tip 300 grain soft point cartridges ... As well .

Back in those days ... The only 2 parts of India where Moheesh could legally be hunted , were Assam and Jaipur . We thus , arranged to have a shikar block booked in Assam ... Where E & H could hunt Moheesh . Allwyn Cooper Limited’s head shikaree , the Great Rao Naidu Of Hyderabad sent a telegram to the game department in Assam ... In order to book a 5 mile shikar block , for 2 days . Due to the extremely wet terrain in which we would hunting ... It was also imperative that we book a Nao ( Canoe ) for ease of movement , through the wet lands . This , Tobin had duly arranged .

Little did we know ... What was in store for us .
D802F234-E8DD-4E9F-945F-0320F49EA75A.png

H , Tobin , our boat man and our coolies ( Wearing the shikar hats ) getting out of the Nao ... In the Assam wet lands . Photograph taken by myself .

Shikar season was going strong , and old Tobin and I were both doing what we did best - Guide foreign clients for shikar in the vast forests of Old India . 1 fine Wednesday evening . we were both summoned to the office of Allwyn Cooper Limited’s owner ... Mr. Vidya C Shukla . Mr. Shukla introduced us both to our new clients . They were 2 brothers from Argentina . For the sake of convenience, let us refer to them both ... as E & H .

They had 1 goal , and 1 goal , only : They wished to hunt a brace of Moheesh ( Asiatic water buffalo ) . And they stipulated that the Moheesh must be bulls , sporting record horns . This was certainly a stipulation , which the employees of Allwyn Cooper Limited could abide by ... And both Tobin and I were glad to accommodate them , by acting as their professional shikarees .

We examined the battery of the 2 Argentine gentle men . They had brought along 2 rifles :
> E’s rifle was a Birmingham Small Arms ( BSA ) Lee Speed sporting bolt rifle , chambered in 8 x 50 mm Mannlicher . For this rifle , E had brought along 4 boxes of old ( But properly packed ) ICI Kynoch 244 grain soft point round nosed cartridges .
> H’s rifle was a BRNO ZKK 602 modified Mauser action bolt rifle , chambered in .375 Holland & Holland magnum . For this rifle , H had brought along 2 boxes of Remington Peters 300 grain solid metal covered round nosed cartridges .

Tobin and I rationalized that the battery was perfectly adequate enough ... For E’s and H’s purposes ( Especially If the very 1st shot was placed correctly , in the case of each Moheesh ) . How ever , Tobin voiced a wish that H had brought along a box of Winchester Silver Tip 300 grain soft point cartridges ... As well .

Back in those days ... The only 2 parts of India where Moheesh could legally be hunted , were Assam and Jaipur . We thus , arranged to have a shikar block booked in Assam ... Where E & H could hunt Moheesh . Allwyn Cooper Limited’s head shikaree , the Great Rao Naidu Of Hyderabad sent a telegram to the game department in Assam ... In order to book a 5 mile shikar block , for 2 days . Due to the extremely wet terrain in which we would hunting ... It was also imperative that we book a Nao ( Canoe ) for ease of movement , through the wet lands . This , Tobin had duly arranged .

Little did we know ... What was in store for us .
View attachment 354881
H , Tobin , our boat man and our coolies ( Wearing the shikar hats ) getting out of the Nao ... In the Assam wet lands . Photograph taken by myself .
@Major Khan
My dear friend I can see this not ending well at all because of the ammunition chosen the 8x50 is rather underpowered and I agree whole heartedly with he should have chosen the silvertip Winchester bullets.
I will read on my friend and see how this shikar unfolds.
Your humble reader and friend
Bob.

2 days later , we were all on a Nao ... Traveling up river , through the wet lands of Assam . Our shikar party consisted of 8 people :
> E
> H
> Gaurav , our boat man
> Tobin
> Myself
> 3 coolies

I was carrying my “ Old Belgian “ ... Which was loaded with my hand loaded Eley Alphamax magnum 3 inch “ High Brass “ spherical ball cartridges . Tobin was carrying his Fabrique Nationale .423 Mauser caliber bolt rifle ... Which was loaded with RWS brand 347 grain solid metal covered cartridges . E was carrying his BSA 8 x 50 mm caliber bolt rifle ... Which was loaded with ICI Kynoch 244 grain soft point cartridges . H was carrying his BRNO ZKK 602 .375 Holland & Holland magnum caliber bolt rifle ... Which was loaded with 300 grain Remington solid metal covered cartridges . Our coolies were carrying refreshments , butcher knives , skinning implements , an ice chest and a tool box . Due to the modest size of the Nao ... We had resolved to travel as light , as possible .

Once every half hour , we made a coolie climb up on a make shift bamboo ladder ... And survey the surrounding areas with a pair of binoculars , in order to look for any Moheesh . For about 2 hours ... We had to repeat this procedure . We saw countless herds of Moheesh . How ever , these were predominantly consisting of cows and calves . Finding a fully grown bull , with suitable horns ... Was proving to be a chore , in and of itself . Finally , fortune smiled down up on us . There , roughly 100 yards away from our boat ... Was a massive bull Moheesh , sporting horns as large as cavalry sabers . It was idly chewing grass . We had found our 1st trophy.

It was mutually agreed between the brothers ... That E would take this Moheesh . The coolies remained with Gaurav ... While Tobin , me and our clients went ashore . Tobin , and H remained near the shore ... While E and I began to stalk the Moheesh , to within 70 yards range . The foliage was thick , and wild bamboo was growing every where . While this made it difficult to take a clean shot ... The advantage was that we were well concealed by the bamboo , from the Moheesh . I got E in position for a perfect broad side shot . “ Sahib “ I whispered , “ Take him in the soft part ... Right behind the shoulder . You can pierce both lungs ... Should you be shooting straight . “ .

E took careful aim , after raising his 8 x 50 mm Mannlicher caliber rifle to his shoulder . He pulled the trigger and “ Crack ! “ went the rifle . The Moheesh recoiled in pain ... As the 244 grain soft point bullet ripped in to the region behind the brute’s shoulder . It ran 83 yards through the thickets , coughing blood from it’s mouth and nose ... Before dropping on to the green forest floor ... With a loud “ Thud ! “ ( Which felt like a miniature earth quake ) . It was dead . And not even a post mortem was necessary , for me to determine how the Moheesh had expired . It had been taken with a perfect broad side double lung shot .

Tobin , H and the coolies joined E and I , as we all took the time to admire my client’s fine trophy . It was an extremely heavy bull Moheesh ... Weighing approximately 1850 pounds . Tobin took a photograph of E & H , looming over E’s magnificent trophy ... While I ordered the coolies to commence field dressing the slain Moheesh . E had specified that he preferred a full head mount ... And I intended to see to it , that his excellent trophy would be prepared EXACTLY the way he pleased . In the mean time ... Tobin , E , H and I ventured deeper in to the thickets . We were now intent on finding H an equally spectacular trophy Moheesh , as well .

This was the very LAST time during that day ... when any thing went smoothly .

B58CF0A6-F9F2-4D86-9C1C-E22BB0B977F1.png

And THAT is how you make a coolie survey the wetlands of Assam from a Nao , for a Moheesh . Photograph taken by myself .

1BF04AE5-90EA-4257-8742-43F7AEFCB5B2.png

The brothers and E’s Moheesh . Photograph taken by Tobin Stakkatz .

We advanced further inland , for about 10 more minutes . We did not need to do much searching . For there ... Right next to a tree , was a massive bull Moheesh . It completely dwarfed the 1 which E had shot ... and looked almost double as imposing and intimidating . It had to weigh at least a good 100 pounds more , than the 1 which E had shot . It was scratching the bark of a Neem tree , with the tips of it’s horns . Those horns could pass for Turkish Kilij sabers . They were so incredibly thick and curved ... That 1 could use them as meat hooks to suspend an entire hide of beef . We were about 60 yards away from the brute ... When we had seen it . H smiled . I knew that he had found his trophy .

Tobin instructed H to take aim at the brute’s shoulder . “ Take out his heart . “ Tobin said . H raised his BRNO ZKK 602 bolt rifle to his shoulder , and took careful aim at the upper right fore leg of the Moheesh . H held his breath , and pulled the trigger .

All HELL broke loose .

The 300 grain Remington solid metal covered bullet blew clean through the shoulder of the Moheesh , but instead of running off a few dozen yards and expiring ... The brute turned to charge at us , it’s head lowered in order to engage us with it’s horns .” Sahib ! “ I shouted . “ Shoot it again ! Do not stope shooting ! “. . H obediently and fearfully fired 5 more solid metal covered bullets in to the charging Moheesh ... Cycling the bolt with utmost proficiency . These were all frontal heart shots . How ever , the brute came on . By now , Tobin and I both began to panic . We instinctively snapped our armaments up to our shoulders ... And began blazing away , at the enraged Moheesh . How ever , 16 Bore spherical lead balls and 347 grain .423 caliber solid metal covered RWS bullets are pitiful remedies against an angry charging bovine ( Which clearly weighed in excess of 1900 pounds ) . E had also commenced shooting at the brute , with his BSA 8 x 50 mm Mannlicher caliber bolt rifle . I shot the brute 4 times ( Doing a quick re load after the 1st 2 shots ... Thanks to my habit of ALWAYS keeping 2 spare cartridges between my fingers , when ever guiding shikars for dangerous game animals ) . Tobin also gave the brute an entire magazine’s worth of bullets ( 4 shots ) . E had given the horned rascal , the contents of his entire magazine ( 5 shots ) ... As well . How ever , our combined fusillade of lead ... Felt like mosquito stings to the horned rascal . Finally , Tobin ( Out of despair ) yelled “ Run !!! “ .

We all took to our heels and made a bee line towards the shore ... With the charging Moheesh right behind us . As we were running , we caught sight of our coolies field dressing the Moheesh slain by E .Tobin and I yelled at the top of our lungs ... For them to get to the Nao , as fast as their feet could carry them . Initially the doddering imbeciles were confused , and thought that Tobin and I were shouting at them ... For damaging E’s trophy . How ever , they instantly wisened up ... Up on catching sight of the 1900 pound horned monster , which was ploughing right towards them .

And that was that .

The terrified coolies dropped all of their skinning implements and BOLTED towards the Nao . Tobin , E , H and I frantically followed suit . When we reached the Nao , we JUMPED on board ... And BEGGED Gaurav to get us as far away from the shore , as was humanly possible . Gaurav was desperately attempting row the Nao away , while all of us ( Tobin , myself , E & H ) hurriedly began to re load our weapons . It sounds extremely undignified , I know . Our quarry had COMPLETELY chased us , right out of our own shikar grounds . This was definitely NOT my proudest moment , as a professional shikaree . How ever , self preservation is a man’s 1st duty . And none of us wished to perish in the wet lands of Assam ... To the horns of a Moheesh , that day .

All of sudden ... The enraged brute RAMMED right in to the hull of the Nao , with it’s horns . And I know that what I am about to narrate next , sounds like an element of fiction . And I wish it was . How ever , it actually happened . The sheer force of the Moheesh , COMPLETELY tipped the flimsy Nao over . We were ALL in the water , desperately attempting to get away from the horned devil ... Like a bunch of terrified rats . I suddenly realized that Tobin and I were both standing DIRECTLY broad side to the Moheesh ... While it was attempting to gore Gaurav with it’s gigantic horns . I desperately raised my “ Old Belgian “ to my shoulder , while Tobin raised his Fabrique Nationale .423 Mauser to his shoulder . I gave the brute’s shoulder a swift left & right , with a brace of 16 Bore spherical ball bullets ... While Tobin fired off 4 quick shots in to the brute’s shoulder , as well . We heard a sickening snap , as the Moheesh finally went down . Both it’s shoulders had been broken , and now it could not move . How ever , it was still very much alive ... Albeit no longer a threat .

Tobin hurriedly yelled at H “ Shoot that son of a bitch , right under the eye ! “ . H desperately raised his .375 Holland & Holland magnum calibre BRNO ZKK 602 to his shoulder , took aim at the brute’s head and fired ... His point of aim being right under the brute’s eye . The 300 grain Remington solid metal covered round nosed bullet ploughed right through the horned rascal’s skull , and in to it’s brain .

It was finally over . We all breathed a sigh of relief . How ever , I immediately knew that we simply MUST conduct a post mortem on the slain brute . The results , I was certain ... Would be most intriguing .

BDA69CCF-DF23-4406-B5CF-5537E1D64F64.png

The bovine who nearly sent all 8 of us to meet our maker . Photograph taken by Tobin Stakkatz .

Last edited:
The post mortem was extremely educational . The brutish Moheesh weighed in excess of 2000 pounds . It was a solitary , old bull . All in all ... The brute required 26 shots , before finally succumbing to it’s injuries . It had been shot by 6 16 Bore spherical lead ball bullets , 8 .423 caliber 347 grain solid metal covered bullets , 7 .375 caliber 300 grain solid metal covered bullets , and 5 .315 caliber 244 grain soft point bullets . .. Prior to breathing it’s last .

H’s shots had been extremely well placed . All of them had torn through the Moheesh’s heart , and some of them had torn through the brute’s lungs ... As well . The Remington Peters 300 grain solid metal covered bullets had also done what they had been designed to do , perfectly . They had held together remarkably well , with out virtually ANY distortion ... Whatsoever . Unlike Winchester’s copper jacketed solid metal covered bullets ( Used in their factory loaded cartridges ) and Hornady’s cupronickel jacketed solid metal covered bullets ( Which used to be available as re loading components , back in those days ) ... The solid metal covered bullets used in Remington Peters factory loaded cartridges ( Back in those days ) were extremely Divine . They were EXTREMELY strongly constructed ... And I dare say that Remington Peters used to utilize steel jackets when manufacturing their solid metal covered bullets , back in those days .

The problem , here ... Was that the wound channels created by the .375 caliber non expanding bullets , were fairly minute . H’s very 1st shot had successfully ruptured the heart of the Moheesh . How ever , it did not punch an adequately sized hole in to the heart of the brute ... In order to produce significant wound trauma . Every time the Moheesh’s massive heart was pumping ... H’s bullet holes in it’s heart , were closing up . This was what had allowed the horned rascal ... To remain “ In Combat “ for so long . H’s initial shot would have EVENTUALLY proven to be fatal for the Moheesh ... But not before at least 23 minutes would have passed . And those 23 minutes would have been nightmarish for our shikar party .

H’s very 1st shot had broken the right shoulder of the Moheesh . This was probably what had allowed our shikar party ... To escape from the brute as quickly , as we did ( Barely ! ) . After Tobin and I had successfully broken the horned rascal’s other shoulder ... Dispatching it had finally become an achievable objective , because it had become immobilized .

I have personally always believed that using a premium quality soft point cartridge ( Such as a 300 grain Winchester Silver Tip soft point cartridge ) for the very 1st shot ( The broad side shot , which was directed at the Moheesh’s heart ) ... Would have laid the brute low , far more smoothly and conveniently .It would have opened up , quite excellently inside the heart of the Moheesh . And it would have produced a most excellent wound channel , inside the heart of the horned rascal . Back in those days , the standard practice ( When pursuing a Moheesh or a gaur bison ) was to load 1’s repeater rifle with a soft point cartridge for the very 1st shot ... Followed by solid metal covered cartridges , for insurance shots . Today , the fortunate advent of modern “ semi soft nose “ bullets ( Which are capable of a far more controlled rate of expansion ) such as Trophy Bonded Bear claw bullets , Swift A Frame bullets , Barnes TSX bullets and Rhino Solid Shank bullets ... Have completely pushed such antiquated practices in to obsolescence .

Alternatively , if 1 MUST use non expanding bullets , then the only solution to producing a larger wound channel on a brute as massive as a Moheesh ... Would be to step up a notch in terms of caliber size . As much as I despise the .458 Winchester magnum ... I must concede that in this scenario , freshly loaded Remington Peters brand .458 Winchester magnum caliber 500 grain round nosed steel jacketed solid metal covered cartridges ( Loaded to achieve a velocity of 2130 feet per second ) would have been far more ideal. They would have punched larger holes in to the vital organs of the Moheesh , thus creating larger wound channels . This would have made short work of the Moheesh , for certain .

Our entire shikar party was immensely thankful that all of us ( Clients , professional shikarees , boat man and coolies ) were virtually completely unharmed by this adrenaline pumping ordeal . Aside from a few minor cuts and bruises ( Which we had sustained , when the Moheesh had rammed right in to the Nao ... Causing all of us to fall in to the water ) , none of us were seriously hurt . Another + point was that , at the end of the day ... The shikar DID yield successful results . Old Tobin and I have assisted E & H ... In successfully taking 2 record size trophy Moheeshes .

Our clients were both incredibly generous gentle men . They let Tobin and me keep 70 % of all of the beef yielded from the 2 slain Moheeshes . The next night , at Tobin’s house in Nagpur ... I , my girl friend , Tobin and Tobin’s wife enjoyed an excellent steak dinner , by using the prime cuts of beef which were harvested from the 2 slain brutes . I enjoyed an exceptionally juicy flame grilled Moheesh porter house steak ( Grilled to a rare doneness ) , German baked potatoes , sour cream , roasted carrots and peas . Then , I washed it all down with a nice half bottle of plum brandy . I really find that plum brandy pairs extremely well , with the lean flavorsome texture of Moheesh beef . Tobin and I laughed and joked about our ( mis)adventures during the previous day , making light of the fact that we could have both nearly gotten killed . I suppose that once the real danger was actually over ... We both had begun to view the entire ordeal , as yet another memorable shikar trip . Memorable , it was . Just for all of the wrong reasons .

Before I conclude this article , Dear Readers ... Ponder about this question , for a little while : It was a 2000 pound Moheesh , which had nearly brought our entire 8 man shikar party to grief . Can any of you imagine what terrifying fate might have befallen us ... Had we been forced to contend with a 3000 pound gaur bison , instead of a 2000 pound Moheesh water buffalo ? I hesitate to think about it , even now .

THE END

Last edited:
Had he been fighting recently?

I’ve shot many buffalo with solids large, medium and small, mostly with no problems.

My friend and his kids had ridden a four-wheeled motorcycle down to a creek to wash some equipment when a bull spied them from across the other side, advanced up the bank towards them, and plunged into the water to swim across to them. They hastily departed and rode back to where I was working and asked me to help. I got my double .500 and proceeded to put him down with many shots as he tried to get to me. Heaven knows what upset him so much. I can’t recall what his scars looked like, I’d have to try to find the picture. Mostly they’re quite reasonable, but sometimes one gets a bit stroppy.

Poton, that was quite a story. It is hard to think that an animal of this size could absorb so much "lead" and just keep coming. It is situations like this that no doubt played a part in the design of today's bullets.

@Major Khan
My dear friend I can see this not ending well at all because of the ammunition chosen the 8x50 is rather underpowered and I agree whole heartedly with he should have chosen the silvertip Winchester bullets.
I will read on my friend and see how this shikar unfolds.
Your humble reader and friend
Bob.
Ah ... But this story has a twist , my Dear Bob . Finish reading the entire account and then tell me again , about what went wrong .

Another interesting story! Thanks again for sharing!

That sounds like a close call. That buff should of been dead. Guess he just didn't know it yet. Unfortunate habit some buff have....
Bruce
Spot on ! The very 1st bullet would have EVENTUALLY proven fatal , Bruce ... After 20 minutes . That is the problem with using .375 caliber non expanding bullets for heart and / or lung shots on Moheesh or gaur . They do not produce sufficiently large wound channels ... To result in swift expiration of your bovine quarry . I personally believe that if non expanding bullets are to be used on Moheesh or gaur ... Then the caliber should be a bare minimum of .450 Bore , and the bullet should weigh a minimum of 500 grains .

During my 10 year career as a professional shikaree , the most devastatingly efficient caliber which I have ever seen being used on a Moheesh and a gaur ... Was the .476 Westley Richards ( Utilizing a 520 grain cupronickel jacketed solid metal covered bullet , being propelled at a velocity of 2100 feet per second ) .

Wow Major, it probably sounded like a dove hunt taking place from a distance. The idea of hunting buffalo in that manner really interest me. As long as the boat stays upright I suppose.
It is an extremely thrilling method of hunting Moheesh , Master Smith ! I taken countless Moheesh , from Naos ... During my 10 year career as a professional shikaree . That used to be the only practical way , via which a sports man could hunt Moheesh in the wet lands of Assam .

Had he been fighting recently?

I’ve shot many buffalo with solids large, medium and small, mostly with no problems.

My friend and his kids had ridden a four-wheeled motorcycle down to a creek to wash some equipment when a bull spied them from across the other side, advanced up the bank towards them, and plunged into the water to swim across to them. They hastily departed and rode back to where I was working and asked me to help. I got my double .500 and proceeded to put him down with many shots as he tried to get to me. Heaven knows what upset him so much. I can’t recall what his scars looked like, I’d have to try to find the picture. Mostly they’re quite reasonable, but sometimes one gets a bit stroppy.
I believe that you may be on to some thing , Ben . Bull Moheeshes always rub their horns against tree barks ... Right after engaging in a fight with other bull Moheeshes .

Poton, that was quite a story. It is hard to think that an animal of this size could absorb so much "lead" and just keep coming. It is situations like this that no doubt played a part in the design of today's bullets.
I know exactly what you mean , Shootist43 . A modern Barnes TXS soft point 300 grain bullet could easily make short work of a Moheesh , these days .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lepani

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!