2 Black Marlin in 3 days off Bazaruto in Mozambique

Jono Joseph

AH veteran
Reaction score
Member of
PHASA , SA Hunters, SA Wingshooters, WRSA, SCI , DCS
Hunted
South Africa, Namibia, Zambia, Mozambique, Zimbabwe
What a great month October is to fish off Bazaruto Island there are 2 great Contest to fish which are based around catching big big black marlin, the Johnny Harel memorial hosted by CADSAA and the Ricky Jacobs hosted by Bazaruto Lodge and Ricky Jacobs himself. Due to the fact i still had a bit of Buffalo hunting on the cards we managed to get the boat down there for a few days.
We got our Live yellowfins and Kawakawa's sharked over and over on day one, day 2 we got a nice 500LBS'er black on a Pulsator bonito smoker blue and white swiming in the long right rigger. Day 3 a live wire of a 300LBS'er on a Pink and White Bazaruto Express by Mitchell Joseph swimming on the short right flat. The fourth day was a blow out due to a 40knot South Easter and I headed back to the bush the following day.

Bazaruto is a real fishing paradise and i have been going for about 15 years now and would suggest it for all facets of fishing from game fishing, light tackle species fishing, jig fishing and of coarse the bill fishing for Marlin and Sailfish. This is a true hot spot in Africa
If your ever given the opportunity grab it with both hands.

Shot Shot
jono-black-marlin-1.JPG
kawa-chopper-by-shark.JPG
mitch-black-marlin-2.JPG
little-hooker-sand-bar-3.JPG
marlin-spooling-reel .JPG

That boat and gear look like you don't take that fishing stuff too seriously! :eek:
Holy cow!

Nice fish.

Thanks for sharing your time on the water.

Big Game Fishing off the Bazaruto Island (Inhassoro) is one for the bucket-list!!

IMG_1338.jpg

IMG_1373.jpg

IMG_1383.jpg

Great pics and looks fun.

Impressive. Thanks for sharing the photos.

she runs well and is pretty dry if the sea is on it's ear ...

Shot

Now that looks like a great time. be a wonderful add on to a hunt. Bruce

Loved the photo of the International being spooled, heck of a run!
There were only 2 of un on the boat 5 lines in the water after hitting the fish with the boat it took us a few minutes to get the rest of the rods clearer out the way and in the time the fish kept peeling away and putting on a great display he jumped plenty before sounding deep
read the whole story at https://www.africahunting.com/threads/2-black-marlin-in-3-days-off-bazaruto-in-mozambique.24409/

Shot

Last edited by a moderator:
That boat and gear look like you don't take that fishing stuff too seriously! :eek:
Holy cow!

Nice fish.

Thanks for sharing your time on the water.
Thats is actually a big boat for fishing in Mozambique and has a really good setup compared to the other boats up there in Mozambique.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am glad you enjoyed
More to come in the future.

Shot

Hey Jono, Please post pics of the lures you used!
I built part of the first Lodge (after 75!) on Bazaruto in 86.. spent many hours fishing off shore there when it was unspoilt by too many people.
We used to use the pink flamingo feathers to make up our lures then!
Thanks!

Hey Jono, Please post pics of the lures you used!
I built part of the first Lodge (after 75!) on Bazaruto in 86.. spent many hours fishing off shore there when it was unspoilt by too many people.
We used to use the pink flamingo feathers to make up our lures then!
Thanks!

Let's see a picture of those lures you used OB.

Looks like a great time on the water.

Let's see a picture of those lures you used OB.
Sorry Bud, Pictures of lures was the last thing on my mind back then! But essentially looking like huge fly fishing flies tied up with pink feathers!
Today would be more accurately described as Jig Heads with pink feather skirts! Can post new ones we use there now?!!
Why pink works around there is anybody's guess! Does that colour work as well in other places like Costa Rica I wonder?

Sorry Bud, Pictures of lures was the last thing on my mind back then! But essentially looking like huge fly fishing flies tied up with pink feathers!
Today would be more accurately described as Jig Heads with pink feather skirts! Can post new ones we use there now?!!
Why pink works around there is anybody's guess! Does that colour work as well in other places like Costa Rica I wonder?

I will get some pics as soon as i get a gap.
post a pic of what you looking for.

Pink well what can i say, every tackle box needs pink.

Shot

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GerthaChristopher

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.