1st Trip Coming Up!

Cuthberto

Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hi Everyone! I'm really glad I found this forum - tons of great information. Thanks to all of you that post! The information is helpful, and the pics make the anticipation of the hunt that much more fun!

I'm heading to South Africa in early March. We've been talking about it for a couple of years, and my better-half recently surprised me with tickets from Minnesota to SA for a plains game hunt, for my 50th birthday present! To make it even better, she loves the idea of another couple of mounts in the house! I got lucky somewhere, because I know I don't deserve her. :)

Again - thanks for all the great information and the willingness to share the good, the bad and the ugly! Its extremely helpful for us newcomers.

TC

Welcome to the forum TC. Great to hear you have a trip lined up. What animals are y'all looking for?

Hello and welcome!

Cuthberto, oops! I thought it was your 50th anniversary, not 50th birthday! Sorry I misread your other post! You’re still a very lucky guy to have a lady That will get you tickets! Do you think she could have a conversation with my better half?:ROFLMAO::LOL:

Have a grand adventure!

Thanks everyone. BnC - the main one I’d love to get is a nice Gemsbok. Also on the list for this trip (I’m optimistic I’ll be back!) is an impala, Zebra, warthog, and Nyala. Our outfitter (Nick Bowker) has suggested maybe a bushbuck as well, but we’ll see how it goes!

Good luck on your hunt.
Welcome to AH.

Welcome and good luck
Will be watching for the hunt report on your return.

Welcome aboard. Enjoy your hunt I guarantee you will be planning your next on the flight back home.

Welcome to the site and have a great trip. Look forward to the report.

Congrats on your upcoming hunt. I expect that you'll have a great time.
Bruce

Welcome! Enjoy your hunt!
What rifles are you bringing?

Are you a fellow Minnesotan? There are definitely a few of us on the forum.

Giday Cuthberto and welcome to the A H forums

Hi TC welcome to AH !

Welcome aboard. Enjoy your hunt I guarantee you will be planning your next on the flight back home.

We started planning our next trip about two days into the first one.

Thanks everyone. BnC - the main one I’d love to get is a nice Gemsbok. Also on the list for this trip (I’m optimistic I’ll be back!) is an impala, Zebra, warthog, and Nyala. Our outfitter (Nick Bowker) has suggested maybe a bushbuck as well, but we’ll see how it goes!

I think all of those should be well within reason. The Nyala is a beautiful animal. They all are, really. You may find something that catches your eye while you're there. I didn't even have a Black Wildebeest on my list when I headed over last year, but it wound up being my favorite hunt and my favorite trophy.

Welcome to AH Cuthberto! You're in for a treat.

Welcome aboard Cuthberto. First off where did you find your wife, there are many here that would appreciate a find like that. Are you taking your own rifles or renting? Has anyone mentioned that you will be expected to use shooting sticks? If not find out about them and drag out a 22 LR or a 17 HMR and practice, practice, practice. You are in for a treat my friend.

Congrats on joining the AH forums, going on your first Africa hunt, and most of all having a great woman to share it with. So much winning!

Welcome aboard Cuthberto. First off where did you find your wife, there are many here that would appreciate a find like that. Are you taking your own rifles or renting? Has anyone mentioned that you will be expected to use shooting sticks? If not find out about them and drag out a 22 LR or a 17 HMR and practice, practice, practice. You are in for a treat my friend.

Thanks everyone!

Shootist43 - Thanks! First, as for the wife, I just lucked in her! lol If I knew the secret, I wouldn't have made a mistake the first time! :)

Rifles - renting there. While we have been planning on making a trip for awhile, this one came together pretty quickly. I thought renting would make planning easier, and I'm comfortable shooting most things, so I figured we'd make it work with a bit of practice after I landed. What are your thoughts on that? I travel very light, and wasn't planning on even checking bags. My layover in JNB (before heading to Port Elizabeth) is only 2 hours - not sure that would give me enough time. Plus, since I was planning on not bringing one, our flight to Port Elizabeth is on British Airways, and I read somewhere that only South African Airways allows transport of guns in South Africa (that could be totally wrong, and I haven't dug into it further since I hadn't planned on taking one).

Shooting sticks - good call on that. I shot a moose last year off a tripod, and practiced a bit beforehand. That said, I need to pull it back out and practice more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idahocougs89

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!