1st Traditional Dangerous Game Rifle

A lot of dry talk about .416's and .404's of late...so just to disturb the pot...hooray for the .458's and .375's! One's for fun and the other is a caliber that every man should have! World would just be a better place if the .375 was as common as a .22!

I’m about your build and a 375 H&H is comfortable for me to shoot. Ammo is not cheap but it is less expensive than most other dangerous game rounds. The 375 is more versatile than some of the larger diameters as it is still useful at 200 yards and has less recoil than a 416 Rem.

I second the VX3i 2.5-8 scope. Cheap, lightweight and performs well in good light.

Old FN’s, Husqvarnas and Interarms are not terribly expensive. New CZ and Winchester options are easy enough to find.
You will find that the 375 is capable of taking plains game out to 500 yards with proper ammo and shooting. I would not be shooting at dangerous game much more than a hundred yards with any caliber. That said many bigger bore guns are capable of taking plains game out to 250+ yards depending upon the level of preparation.

A lot of dry talk about .416's and .404's of late...so just to disturb the pot...hooray for the .458's and .375's! One's for fun and the other is a caliber that every man should have! World would just be a better place if the .375 was as common as a .22!
The bullets are so similar there's not much of an argument to be made. What's the diameter of a 404? 411-423? Lol yes they are more traditional and come in cases that shoot at a lower velocity but someone of experience cannot really complain about the performance of a four sixteen with a higher SD bullet at a higher velocity. The most modern practice of loading a 375 with 350 grain bullets essentially puts it in near 416 caliber performance range.

There is no argument at all. I just simply wanted to remind those not yet captivated by the wonderbore .404 and .416 in-between that there are perfectly logical choices for a DG rifle that retains quite a bit of flexibility. The koolaid has been flowing like a river of late.

All I can say is dont let your size hold you back. Im smaller than you and I use a 416 Rigby with no problems. I would go with something in the 400 category. The 458 Lott is a good option as you can also feed it 458 WM ammo

Good morning gang! This same topic may be elsewhere on the site, so my apologies if I haven’t yet found it. I’m wanting to obtain a traditional DG rifle for hunting Cape Buffalo. Currently I have a 45-70 Marlin, using 500 gr. Buffalo Bore Barnes solids. Recoil is significant, but it’s worth noting that I’m not a big guy. 150lbs and 5’8”. I’ve been to Africa 3x and will be going back, God willing, in August of 2021. There are so many choices, sizes etc... I don’t know where to begin. I will admit to being a blue collar guy, so I don’t have 5 figures invest in a rifle. Currently my safe is stocked with a few Remington 700’s, TC Encores, a few Marlins... nothing exotic.
I’ve been following your site for awhile now, and know that you could offer some valuable advice. I don’t dislike my Marlin, it’s done an amazing job on Buffalo and a Giraffe- more importantly, it’s what I could afford and still follow some of my dreams. At some point in my future I’d like to be in Africa with something a bit more traditional. Thanks for your help!

Ok so you dont have 5 figures to spend....still leaves 4 figures which will get you a very nice rifle....so a cz 550 in 416 rigby or 404 Jeffery and send to AHR to have barrel cut to 22inches and other tweaks Wayne does....or keep an eye on his website and see what comes up second hand....I got my 404 like that...and lovely rifle...if you want to be boring and predictable go the 375h&h route with same ....but if you do that you will still end up going bigger....so why waste money messing around with that..... :E Shrug: (y):D Beers:

Ok so you dont have 5 figures to spend....still leaves 4 figures which will get you a very nice rifle....so a cz 550 in 416 rigby or 404 Jeffery and send to AHR to have barrel cut to 22inches and other tweaks Wayne does....or keep an eye on his website and see what comes up second hand....I got my 404 like that...and lovely rifle...if you want to be boring and predictable go the 375h&h route with same ....but if you do that you will still end up going bigger....so why waste money messing around with that..... :E Shrug: (y):D Beers:
I agree with @spike.t I hardly use my 375 now. So much so I'm thinking about trading it in for a 500 jeffery. The thing is big bore rifles are very addictive and you want to keep going up

I know some very good PH’s who are not fans of the .416’s but give high marks to the .404. Something about the .404 bullet setting up better for better straight line penetration. Having no experience with either the .416 or .404 I find this very curious. Has anyone else heard this?

Nope....never heard that ...

Reactions: WAB
My wife has taken over the 375H&H barrel...:rolleyes:
For her small frame, she's doing really well.
Said she didn't want to be "undergunned" for any PG.
And she put Cape Buffalo on the menu as a possibility.
So I just HAD to get a 416RM.

Yeah but you talking about one of those blaser r8 things....not classic proper rifles... :E Shrug:

Yeah but you talking about one of those blaser r8 things....not classic proper rifles... :E Shrug:
And 100 years ago...
Someone like you was saying something like this about smokeless powder.

The term "classic" is continuing to change.
You may not like it, but it's not gonna stop it from happening.

What about a chassis rifle?
Definitely not considered "classic" at the moment.
But how long do you think it will be before a client shows up in your camp with one?

Who are you to determine what's considered "proper"?
Let's see you take that tone with a client and see how far it gets you.

And 100 years ago...

But how long do you think it will be before a client shows up in your camp with one?

They can bring what they want but I will still take the piss out of it especially if it's a blaser thing....;):D Beers:...and honestly dont give a monkey's about most of the supposed progress in certain things that's supposedly been made....example none of the current super cars do anything for me....full of electronic controls so anyones granny could drive them.on the limit.....I liked mine back in the 1980s when the traction control was your throttle foot...anti braking was same foot....and the sensor that told you what was happening was your ass and hands ....thank God I got to play with them then....progress isn't always that great.....some of it makes very average people look great....

They can bring what they want but I will still take the piss out of it especially if it's a blaser thing....;):D Beers:...and honestly dont give a monkey's about most of the supposed progress in certain things that's supposedly been made....example none of the current super cars do anything for me....full of electronic controls so anyones granny could drive them.on the limit.....I liked mine back in the 1980s when the traction control was your throttle foot...anti braking was same foot....and the sensor that told you what was happening was your ass and hands ....thank God I got to play with them then....progress isn't always that great.....some of it makes very average people look great....
You sir, give new meaning to the title of "AH Ambassador".
Well done.

Thank you...take that as a compliment... :D Beers: :A Thumbs Up:
If crass and inconsiderate is what you were going for.
You hit the nail on the head.

I agree with the cats. It's like the modern 4x4s take no skill to drive in a sticky situation. As for rifles they all need skill to use well some more than others. For me personally a DG bolt gun should have CRF I'm not sure but I don't think a blaser has that.

And 100 years ago...

40A48B99-4A72-4C00-946C-F065FB3330F4.jpeg

@BeeMaa , @spike.t
This was the beautiful work of a Blaser R 8 in .338 Winchester Magnum ( loaded with 250 grain Nosler Partitions ) . I have not yet been lucky enough to try one on dangerous game yet , however .

View attachment 368421
@BeeMaa , @spike.t
This was the beautiful work of a Blaser R 8 in .338 Winchester Magnum ( loaded with 250 grain Nosler Partitions ) . I have not yet been lucky enough to try one on dangerous game yet , however .
Am I correct in saying that is a Siberian Ibex?
You should snap up a 375H&H barrel to fit your rifle.
Be out and hunting the Dangerous 7 by 2021. (y)

Edit - I believe you already have a 458WM...although not a Blaser.

Last edited:
Am I correct in saying that is a Siberian Ibex?
You should snap up a 375H&H barrel to fit your rifle.
Be out and hunting the Dangerous 7 by 2021. (y)
@BeeMaa
You are very close . It is Pakistani Ibex . The rifle belonged to my guide . I prefer my .458 Winchester Magnum for dangerous game and Problem Animal Control work in Bangladesh.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg