1st time trip to South Africa

Skateboard

Reaction score
Hi folks,
I've been looking at the forums and thought it was time to get posting.
I bid and won a trip to Matwetwe Safaris, looking at May or June 2019 to hunt plains critters. I plan on taking both of my daughters 21 and 22 years old 1 wants to hunt and the other just wants to see Africa. I'm just looking for advice on what to aspect, things to bring and see.

Welcome, you’re at the right place!

Welcome to AH! Lots of knowledge and info to draw from on this site!

Congrats and welcome!

Hi folks,
I bid and won a trip to Matwetwe Safaris, looking at May or June 2019 to hunt plains critters. I plan on taking both of my daughters 21 and 22 years old 1 wants to hunt and the other just wants to see Africa. I'm just looking for advice on what to aspect, things to bring and see.

Enjoy the trip and I’m sure you and your daughters will have memories for a lifetime.

Welcome to AH Skateboard! Oh are you and your daughters going to have a grand time! All the info you need is here on one of the forums from what to take, paperwork you need, timeline, etc.
Best of luck on your trip!

Welcome to AH. Keep reading, you'll get plenty of answers.

Welcome! You and your daughters will have a trip of a lifetime. One of my daughters is my hunting buddy and she's about the same age as your girls. Get them practicing at the range with shooting off of sticks or some sort of tripod. I bought a bolt action 223 to get lots of low cost, low recoil practice with. I also talked to my daughter about "buck fever" and the mental aspect of a hunt. In Africa, you usually get multiple shot opportunities during a hunt or ever during any given day, so it's a little easier to control your emotions when you realize it's not like deer hunting back home and you might get one and only one shot opportunity at a monster buck during the season. Relaxed, non-hurried shots for PG are really nice for beginners (and old timers too).

If time permits, try to see some of the country after or before your hunt - The Garden route would be a good option.

Hi folks,

Welcome to AH. Planning the safari is half the fun.

Welcome to AH, This is a great place to gather any information you might require. If i can give you a tip, please get hold of your Outfitter who you are going to do your trip with and ask him as much as possible.

Welcome aboard. How many days and what province/state are you hunting. Depending on where, May might be a little warmer. June can be cold, more like late stateside fall weather. Good Luck & oh yeah, "nobody goes just once". :D

Welcome aboard skateboard. Use the AH search function to find previous posts that will probably answer all of your questions. Use the time you have left for planning. It wouldn't hurt to get the girls looking at AH as well, then you can plan together.

Welcome to AH Skateboard! Enjoy exploring the site, it will certainly help you get ready!

Welcome to the site, you’ll find tons of great info and knowledgeable people here eager to answer questions. I told my Outfitter this year that my young daughter was dying to come back with me when she was older. He laughed and said “have your check book ready, as hard as it can be for a hunter to keep to a budget in Africa, it is impossible to say no to that little girl when she says “OH I want one of those!”

You will have a great trip and enjoy the planning and preparation.

Welcome to AH !

Welcome to the dark side, make sure you take a journal so you can write up a report for those of us on here that live vicariously through the reports of others. Good luck and take lots of pictures.

Hi folks,
Welcome aboard , plenty of good blokes and info here.

Hi folks,
Skateboard
Welcome to the best FORUM and hunting family.
Enjoy the planning process of your upcoming safari.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeniseDapl

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross