1964 Winchester Firearms Promo Film African Safari & Big Game Hunt Guns Xd46164

two tons of armor plated meanness....

It must have been glorious, back in the day. Being able to walk in a store and pick up a Pre-64 Model 70 Safari...and go to Africa for a month or two.
@lockingblock
It was a post 64 with a push feed plunger ejector. Some say it was the demise of Winchester quality but they still sold a lot of them. It's a crying shame the 264wm was never more popular.
Bob

ah thats swell

@Hoas
That you.
Ah life in the simple times. The trophy quality was amazing.
What more can I say.
Bob
Thanks for posting this Winchester promo film.
Great old school video footage. Felt like I was watching "Wild Kingdom" except they had guns and hunted.

Love the narrators voice, like in the old WW II newsreels, I would see on Televison before the 7AM news, breakfast every morning before going off to school.

Validated what I have read that 1950's- 60's Winchester Marketing strategy, for African Safaris was strong. 6 new longarms, and some ammo in one film.

Yes, the .458 is "Post 64 M-70" (cheaper to make) Winchester design.

I have read of Jack O'Connor saying, begrudgingly, that the fit and finish of the " Magnum, African" line was still OK. He hated the lack of CRF.

Push Feed vs. Controlled Round Feed did not seem as big an issue amongst the buyers.
More about the ammo.
I reference Pierre van der Walts excellent book, " African Dangerous Game Cartridges"
published in 2010.
Pierre did real research into the .458 Win Mag, and determined, through empirical data of powder charges, types and conditions, that Winchester Western screwed up in some ammo runs.

PH's and citizen hunters relied on the Model 70 for decades, as a very affordable option for African Big Game.

Finn Aagard hunted with a Push Feed 458 Winchester for years.
Paraphrased comment from Finn Aagard:

"Keep the bolt mechanism clean, and it will put a bloody big hole in anything."

Thank You for sharing that video, it brought back a lot of youthful memories. My dad had a buddy that he served with in ww2 that used to live in tangaynika(sp).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YvonnePaws

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg