1950 H&H Magnum Model 70 Action

Attached is a photograph of 2 bolt faces. Left is for a 458Win Mag, Right is for a 404 Jeffery, altered by PO Ackley. The 458 face within the rim is .535"; the 404 is .555", The radius for the 404 is .01" greater. The real noticeable difference is in the extractor. The 404 has a considerable portion removed. The extractor appears to be the main difference in suitability of the action for .532 cartridges. Since the extractor can be replaced and milled to the desired cartridge, I would not hesitate to get this action if I were considering a build.

DSC_2560.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for posting this SBS for reference, certainly helpful to see the difference!

Still available and looking for a new home!

I’ll be at DSC if anyone is interested in seeing the action in person.

nobody at DSC wanted it? HUH? So why didnt you keep it in the 300 RUM? Just didnt like the cartridge or ??? I was thinking of a 404 build so just wanted to check in with you as to what was what with it. Thanks

nobody at DSC wanted it? HUH? So why didnt you keep it in the 300 RUM? Just didnt like the cartridge or ??? I was thinking of a 404 build so just wanted to check in with you as to what was what with it. Thanks

I had the 300 RUM in the picture disassembled by pre64win and only purchased the blueprinted action, I was going to build a 404. I ended up finding an AHR DGR for sale and went that route. If you want to build a 404, this would be a great start!!

If I wanted another full length magnum rifle I would strongly consider this action- I think all that would be needed for a .532" head diameter cartridge would be a replacement extractor (which are readily available), Any of the H&H cases/improved should be fine with very little adjustment.

If I wanted another full length magnum rifle I would strongly consider this action- I think all that would be needed for a .532" head diameter cartridge would be a replacement extractor (which are readily available), Any of the H&H cases/improved should be fine with very little adjustment.

I’m trying to avoid another full length magnum myself! someone save me!!

Trying to have less stuff to tote to Texas?

sorry only curranty looking for good .375's

I got a Stainless Kimber Talkeetna that you might be able to talk me out of. And a bunch of ammo for it.

Rare as hens teeth, but perfect for your Alaska hunt...

Weekend bump. Action is now located in Prosper TX for any DFW folks that might be interested.

Action still available! Happy to FaceTime with anyone that wants to see it.

The bolt face may limit interest. Looks like a great action

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnT3006

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg