Angelo_orygun

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
South Africa, North America
Up for sale is a 1950 H&H magnum Model 70 action that I purchased in December of 2020 from Pre64win.

The action is complete and was originally in a rifle chambered in 300 RUM, my plan was to build a 404 Jeffery out of it. Pre64 broke the rifle down and blueprinted the action before sending it to me. I ended up buying an AHR build instead.

Their blueprint process includes the flowing (from their website):

Re-cutting and truing of the receiver barrel threads
Re-cutting and truing of the receiver bolt lugs
Re-cutting and truing of the receiver face
Lapping of the bolt lugs to the receiver lugs
Re-cutting and truing of the bolt face
Finish restoration of all surfaces (not done)

Asking $1500 shipped to your FFL if they accept non-FFL shipment. $1600 if it needs to come from an FFL.

Image1666668884.401037.jpg

IMG_4298.JPG

Image1666669146.813169.jpg

IMG_4301.JPG

IMG_4303.JPG
IMG_4306.JPG

Final image is shown with a 404 Jeffery case for reference.

Am I correct in concluding that the bolt face/extractor is opened to .55"?

Angelo, sent you a PM.

What was the original cartridge it was chambered for?

What was the original cartridge it was chambered for?

Not sure, I can dig out out Rule’s book and see if there is a lookup between 300 and 375 SNs.

It is the longer Group VII action with unfired cartridge length: 3.7"

Yeow! That is a nice foundation for a super custom build. If I didn't have too many similar I would not hesitate. Not sure about a 300 RUM being on a 1950 action ??? :) but no matter, I see the action and understand the work that has been done on it. Get an appropriate barrel from Krieger or PacNor and have a good smith mount it up correctly. A NOS Win 70 stock. Could even add a 1 pc bottom metal for simpler bedding. Pillar bed it- presto 1st class DG rifle.

Yeow! That is a nice foundation for a super custom build. If I didn't have too many similar I would not hesitate. Not sure about a 300 RUM being on a 1950 action ??? :) but no matter, I see the action and understand the work that has been done on it. Get an appropriate barrel from Krieger or PacNor and have a good smith mount it up correctly. A NOS Win 70 stock. Could even add a 1 pc bottom metal for simpler bedding. Pillar bed it- presto 1st class DG rifle.

Some poor soul built a “custom 300 RUM” out of it before it was purchased by me.

Image1669346822.247152.jpg
Image1669346830.990496.jpg

Different folks, different strokes!

Yep, figured it was a previous redo- must have damaged some hearing and set up the flinches :) However, that doesn't detract from the usefulness of the foundation action.

This is a fair deal for an excellent DG action. I’d have already bought it but my rifle builder was worried that the bolt face was just a bit too open for a .375 H&H, which is what I’m having him build for me. If I was going to build a .404 it would already be gone.

Notwithstanding what the seller said, that it is a .55" boltface, if it was for a RUM cartridge and was GOING to be a 404, but hadn't been done yet, it likely would still be a .532" boltface. The RUM cartridges have a rebated rim that is .532". Possibly the seller could recheck it and see if it had been opened to the .55 or not- as there are probably more people interested in a build with a .532 than a 55- at least I would be.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silke2404

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.