1917 Holland & Holland 275 For Sale

james cameron

AH member
Reaction score
Hunted
Tanzania, Zambia, Botswana, Congo, RSA, Mozambique, Namibia
Arguably one if the ultimate hunting rifles.

Pics and price to those that are truly interested.

sh100950-2-1-jpg.48355

Last edited by a moderator:
you should post some pictures to generate some interest in this gun

just a suggestion, people tend to be more interested in things they look at.

James, members here are used to hunting offers being transparent.
(Pretty simple to drop an image into a thread)

Good luck with your offer.

If the title cannot sell it, a million pictures won't...

Well, no, actually. There are H&H's and there are H&H's. I assume it is a mauser - but commercial or military action? Refinished or original condition? Original stock or replacement? Ever scoped or not? If yes, what sort of mounts? Any obvious shade tree gunsmithing alterations? Pad or likely original steel butt plate? Several on this site, myself included, are potentially interested in classic firearms. One or two pictures included in your advert would let folks like me know whether a follow-up was worth either of our time. There are a surprising number of old English-finished mausers available these days. Almost all are about the same configuration because most were outsourced in Birmingham for finishing (barreled actions were imported) - Regardless of whether they were then sold by a London House such as Holland or a Birmingham maker such as WR.

Arguably one if the ultimate hunting rifles.

Pics and price to those that are truly interested.

Agree with your info, its hard to have a bad hunting trip, just some are better than others!

Point taken. Some pics attached. Serial number is 186. Never scoped.
SH100964.JPG
SH100950 (2)-1.JPG
SH100963.JPG
SH100944 (8).JPG

Attachments

• SH100950 (2)-1.JPG
    SH100950 (2)-1.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 696
You are located in Africa?
I sen t you a message asking about photos and price,

I'm not getting them, let me pm you my e-mail address. or PM yours?

Nice rifle.

It is the standard configuration and will make someone a classic hunting rifle. It has the "military" action (thumb cut out) and standard trigger. It does seem to have the upgraded trigger guard and bottom metal. The gold "safety" marking is a nice touch. Only real negative - and I could be wrong - I am making an assumption from the photos - is that it looks like it had a hot re-blue and polishing at some point? That pad would have been added or replaced as well. Even a basic grade rifle would have had a "best" satin-like rust blue finish. There are folks who can restore that finish today.

With the war raging, it is amazing that anyone was turning out a bolt action sporter of any configuration in 1917. Good luck in finding it a new home.

Agreed, the year of manufacture is rather unique. It is a work of art and I suppose understandable that after almost a century a little bit of work was done here and there. All in all, fairly unique.

Really nice rifle! Would that action have been liberated from the battlefield and brought back to the UK? Get story here.

Nope. Karl Mauser designed this famous action in 1898 (referred to as the K98 action). In the following year, 1899, the President of the Boer Republics in fact ordered thousands of 7x57's destined for South Africa to fight the English in the second Boer War (1899-1902). In South Africa the old people refer to a 7mm Mauser (meaning a 7x57).

Holland and Holland has always used, as first choice, K98 actions...sometimes referred to the best a man's hands have ever made. The military action by far the most common and then off course square bridged single and double.

Nice rifle.
it is amazing that anyone was turning out a bolt action sporter of any configuration in 1917. .

+1

As I recall, during WWII, King George commissioned a rifle from Rigby. It was a 275 for Princes Elizabeth. It was the only commercial rifle made by Rigby during the war.

Certainly a unique date of manufacturer.

Really nice rifle! Would that action have been liberated from the battlefield and brought back to the UK? Get story here.

No, the English trade bought up a lot of 98 action's and barreled actions prior to the war and they were marketed by all the leading houses. I am sure this one would have been one of the pre-war acquisitions - just surprised by the 1917 manufacture date. Everyone was pretty much dedicated to war production by then.

My understanding is that the thumb cut does not necessarily always indicate military production.
Seems like I read in Jon Speed's book that, Oberndorf Mauser '98 actions, for civilian / sporting rifles, could be ordered with or without the thumb cut.
Conversely, Model 98 military actions virtually always had the thumb cut, perhaps leading to the misconception about this feature.

My understanding is that the thumb cut does not necessarily always indicate military production.
Seems like I read in Jon Speed's book that, Oberndorf Mauser '98 actions, for civilian / sporting rifles, could be ordered with or without the thumb cut.
Conversely, Model 98 military actions virtually always had the thumb cut, perhaps leading to the misconception about this feature.

My 1924 Mauser Oberndorf has the thumb cut and stripper clip slot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JacobI313

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Looking to hire Odoo developers in UAE, USA In o2b technologies has skilled and experienced Odoo developers at competitive pricing Consult Now!

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!