1890 East Africa Elephant Tusk Marking Help

Steve Griffin

Reaction score
This elephant was shot in the 1890's by a gentleman named William Astor Chanler.. who was a member of the U.S. House Of Representative's. The tusks were then used to make a fine mirror, which was done by Rowland Ward.

However, I can't seem to figure out what the heck these markings say or what they mean.

I appreciate any help in advance.

Kind Regards,
Steve Griffin

image5.jpg
image1.jpg
image3.jpg
image2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Steve,

Not sure if this will help, but can you tell us where in EA the elephant was shot?

Is the writing etched into the ivory or written on the ivory?

I just googled the subject. He had an extremely interesting life. Thanks for sharing.

If you communicate with Christies or Sotheby's, they should have experts they can point you toward that can answer your question.

If you find out what it says, please let us know.

I appreciate your time and reply Wheels.

The writing is etched on the front and backside into the tusk.. as well as one section in the middle as photographed.

I'm not sure where in East Africa this elephant was shot.. It is listed in Rowland Ward's big game records though and attached please find a photo of the page referenced.

William Astor Chanler wrote a book titled "Through Desert and Jungle" in 1896 about his journeys through Africa, which I'd like to get a copy, as I'm sure it references his encounter with this elephant.

Contacting Christies may not be such a bad idea.. I appreciate the thoughtful suggestion.

Also, please find a few more photos of the mirror as a whole.

Kind Regards,
Steve Griffin

image12.jpg
image10.jpg
image13.jpg
image16.jpg
image14.jpg
image17.png
image15.jpg

Screen Shot 2017-01-13 at 2.04.48 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-01-13 at 1.59.27 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-01-13 at 2.02.08 PM.png

I certainly appreciate your time and reply.

I have already located the book and publication of when Mr. William Astor Chanler was listed in the Rowland Ward's Records of Big Game (1896 edition).. interestingly enough, he also took a African Rhino and a Cape Buffalo on this trip. I have also attached the referenced pages for those hunts as well.

I appreciate the guidance towards the dating system but I don't believe that particular system was adopted in the 1890s. I do believe however this is some sort of marking with a similar purpose and in my opinion, appears to be in another language. I've looked at the marking from all angles and can't make any symmetry or character references from it.

Kind Regards,
Steve Griffin

image18.png
image19.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for sharing the photos. You have a really neat piece of history. It's really cool since you know the provenance.

Jerome's first post, talks about labeling instructions that I am familiar with. In 1890, I doubt there were any rules about engraving ivory. It makes me wonder if it was used for shipping purposes, like an address. If Chanler was hunting in Somaliland, Kenya, Tanzania, they were probably using porters. Omani Arabs were the main merchants along the Swahili Coast in those days. It might be possible that a Arabic camp manager inscribed the ivory and gave directions to carry the ivory to a destination like Lamu Island or Bagamoyo. When the caravan of porters got to town, another Arab could read the ivory and direct them to the shop the ivory should go to for storage, until the safari was over and Chanler picked it up. First thought is could an Arab decipher the inscription.

This may only be slightly better than a wag, but it's the best I can come up with right now.

@Wheels I think that you're out something.

I certainly appreciate your time and reply.

I have already located the book and publication of when Mr. William Astor Chanler was listed in the Rowland Ward's Records of Big Game (1896 edition).. interestingly enough, he also took a African Rhino and a Cape Buffalo on this trip. I have also attached the referenced pages for those hunts as well.

I appreciate the guidance towards the dating system but I don't believe that particular system was adopted in the 1890s. I do believe however this is some sort of marking with a similar purpose and in my opinion, appears to be in another language. I've looked at the marking from all angles and can't make any symmetry or character references from it.

Kind Regards,
Steve Griffin

View attachment 169663 View attachment 169664

It is really neat reading the RW list. Names include F.C. Selous, Samuel Baker and Powell Cotton.

@Wheels I think that you're out something.

Even an ole boar finds a sow in heat occasionally. Not sure if this is one of those times, but for Steve's sake, we can hope.

Also, you posted a couple of pages from a book dealing with stamping ivory. I had never heard of the book. "Teaching and Hunting in East Africa" It sounds like it deals with Tanzania. Just ordered it. Thanks.(y)

@Wheels very good suggestion as to its possible path during the times.. Wasn't aware that Omani Arabs would have handled such shipments.

@BRICKBURN Looking at those alphabet translations.. I am convinced this is some dialect of Arabic. I will be going through this with the marking once I get home. I appreciate your time and the posting of this translation sheet.

AHFIS

AfricaHunting Forum Investigative Services at work again. This could be a TV show. It's a fascinating story on the tusks.

Screen Shot 2017-01-13 at 6.57.37 PM.png

I also thought the script looked like Arabic figures. The mirror is a real treasure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marinayzi

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you