AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Hunted
Norway, Sweden, England, South Africa
Yesterday I got a package from Slick Trick containing 6 175grain Xbow Trick broadheads and 6 175grain field points.
They use the same blades as my 125 grain Slick Trick Magnums and they look really good.
I like the fact that they have a longer point than the 125 grain before the blades.
I think that is an advantage on quartering shots.

I wanted to test the 175 grain Xbow Trick out before my PG hunt this year.
Today I went out and did a bit of shooting with them.
It was a bit cold(minus 10 Celsius), so I didn't shoot that much.

I shoot a Bowtech Destroyer 340 at 70 lbs and 31" DL

The first thing I noticed at 20 yards was that the 175 field point had the same POI as my 125 grain field point.
The second thing was that the arrows either totally penetrated my target or stopped with the fletching inside the target.
Gave me a bit of a job in the deep snow behind my target to find my arrows...
Moving out to 30 yards I was sure it would drop a bit compared with the 125 grains, but it didn't. Still the same POI.
Then I moved out to 40 yards and still the same POI.

I am not able to shoot at longer distances now in the winter, but it is clear that the 50 grain in difference didn't affect the arrow flight at all out to 40 yards.
It only clearly increased the penetration(at least on my target).

Then it was time to test the 175 Xbow Tricks and it also had the same POI as both the 125 grain and the 175 grain field points at 20, 30 and 40 yards:)
It also penetrated much better than my 125 grains Slick Trick Magnum.

I will shoot them more later on, but for now I think it looks very good and I think it is a very good chance I will use them on my PG hunt this year:D

Probably not the BH design that caused the penetration to be more than with the regular ST, more than likely it was the addition of 50 grains which not only helped your overall arrow weight for better penetration, but added to your FOC which also helped. The only thing that someone would have to worry about by doing what you did is watching the spine of the arrow to make sure it is still within the limits of wha the set up needs. Sounds like you are finding a great combo for you PG hunt coming up.

I totally agree on the increased weight and FOC increasing the penetration mudslinger.
Not the design itself.
When it comes to the design I just like that it has a longer point before the blades start.

And yes, the spine is very important to get correct.

One of these days I will try to find my chrono and see what speed I have.

I am a huge fan of heavy broadheads. I can't wait to hear how things work for you. I think too many guys are shooting light broadheads.

I am a huge fan of heavy broadheads. I can't wait to hear how things work for you. I think too many guys are shooting light broadheads.

Why are these sold as Crossbow broadheads and not Standard archery broadheads? Is there any disadvantage to using them with standard carbon arrows?

Brian

The assumption of additional arrow weight seems to be the common denominator. That being said; some broadheads perform better with individual set-ups. Sounds like you are onto something there.

Why are these sold as Crossbow broadheads and not Standard archery broadheads? Is there any disadvantage to using them with standard carbon arrows?

Brian

The reason for why they are sold as crossbow broad heads is that many crossbows need a heavier head to stabilize the arrow better and it is mainly made for that.
The market for heavy broad heads is still rather small.
I think the main reason for this is that so many people are speed freaks and want to use light arrows with light broad heads.
Many shoot poorly tuned bows too
And then they complain about poor penetration...

I don't understand why they don't make it totally clear on their website that they can be used for all kinds of bows.
The Xbow Trick uses the same blades as the Slick Trick Magnum.

I can't see any disadvantage to using them with standard carbon arrows at all.

I can't wait to see how they perform on PG this year:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bkNen

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross