Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
life member NAHC NRA
Hunted
US, RSA, ZIM
My friend is thinking about taking a 17 Remington to Africa for possible caracal, civit, duiker, jackal, serval, steenbuck. He asked me if this was a good choice I said he should use my 416 Rigby to make sure that he had enough gun. He didn't find the humor in that as he doesn't love recoil.

I think that it is probably enough but wondered if it might be a bit light. That a 223 might be better. He also has a 22-250 but I think that is to fast for the short range some of those animals would be shot.

I was wondering what some others might think.

The 17 Rem. is a fine gun for what your friend wants to use it for in Africa. My friend used a 243 Win with soft points and blew animals up in Africa. If I was using a 223 or 22-250 I would use something like a V-max bullet. A lot of people are hunting the small game with a 17 HMR. Love that gun!

enysse

Thanks for the reply. I have only seen a couple of these animals and never shot any of them, its hard to get my head around that a "deer" can be shot with a 17 Rem.

If people are using a 17 HMR the Rem. should be plenty and oh so fun to shoot.

Jamie,

Not debating the point as to whether it will work or not but you may want to check the legality of the round. South Africa recently issued new standards for the entire country. As I understand it the rules/law were previously by province.

It appears the smallest bullet you can use in South Africa is 35 grains. The 17 shoots up to a 30 grain bullet.

Assuming your friend is headed to South Africa he may want to confirm the legality of the 17 Rem. It is unlikely he would be checked, but all it takes is one government official armed with limited knowledge and a new law to ruin your day.

http://www.info.gov.za/view/DownloadFileAction?id=146677

Thanks for the input Mike!

Guys here in the USA, use the 17 HMR for woodchucks, coyotes at close range and foxes....and I'm sure a lot of other small game. Have you ever seen the video of the watermelon being shot by a 17 HMR and it exploding everywhere! It's a small bullet that goes very fast and provides a lot of shock. They is not usually a lot of fur damage though.

Mike there is some interesting stuff in that down load.

Only solids for buff.

130 gr. for black wildebeast. (no 120 gr. TTSX in 7mm-08)

150 gr. for blue wildebeast.

Like you said unlikely you will get checked. If you handload they would have to pull a bullet. It is telling as you said about the 17 with max 30 grain bullet. As it would be with a 6mm for black wildebeast max 105 gr.

I think these are good guides but it does leave out exceptions. I read about a boy that shot a zebra with a 243, not ideal but with very good bullets and good shot placement I don't feel it is unethical.

Like we said it is unlikely one would be checked but if you have options its probably not worth the chance.

Thanks for that information, ( minimum 30 grs)

My friend is thinking about taking a 17 Remington to Africa for possible caracal, civit, duiker, jackal, serval, steenbuck. He asked me if this was a good choice I said he should use my 416 Rigby to make sure that he had enough gun. He didn't find the humor in that as he doesn't love recoil.

I think that it is probably enough but wondered if it might be a bit light. That a 223 might be better. He also has a 22-250 but I think that is to fast for the short range some of those animals would be shot.

I was wondering what some others might think.
I personally would reccomend the .22-250 for your friend. The .223 is a military round and airlines and other countries are really weird about military cartridges. I have read one guy who said that they wouldn't even allow him to take his .308 Winchester, because it is a military cartridge. Your friend should probably either use a .22-250 or a .243 Win for the animals that you listed.

BTW, The .22-250 is not too fast for the animals that you listed. The belief that you can't use fast cartridges at close ranges is wrong. If that were true my late grandfather's and my uncle's deer need to jump off that wall that they're hung on. Most of them were shot at close ranges witha .243 with 95 grain ballistic silvertips, of course at ultra fast velocity.

The 17 Rem. is a fine gun for what your friend wants to use it for in Africa. My friend used a 243 Win with soft points and blew animals up in Africa. If I was using a 223 or 22-250 I would use something like a V-max bullet. A lot of people are hunting the small game with a 17 HMR. Love that gun!
I used too use a .22-250 with 50 grain v-max's, that was one accurate bullet! Sadly, I bought that gun several months before there was any good chuck hunting, and saw another gun that looked too shiny too pass up....... Worst mistake I've made in a LOOOOOONG time........

Does anyone else have any input on cal. for these animals? I have a 17 Rem, 223, 22-250, 243, 270, or 7mm-08.

From the post up already the 17 not legal, 223 is military. My thoughts are a 22-250 with a 40 bullet, either it will blow up inside (no hole) or cut the animal in 1/2 depending on shot placement. That is my experience with fox and yots. That is my first choice. My second is the 7mm-08 with a controlled expansion bullet TTSX or the like at moderate speed, it would go through but unless you hit a big bone would leave a small hole.

What do you other boys think?

Some of the above animals could be hunted with a shotgun. Granted they would have to be within range of 50 yards. But at least they are being ripped in two by a high speed rifle. Otherwise, I'd hunt with the 22-250.

when I was preparing for my last trip to Africa in 2007 I was contemplating taking my 22/250 to Africa to hunt the small cats & steenbuck & duiker. i called Hornady & asked for their recommendation on bullet selection so I didn't blow them apart. I was leaning toward the Hornady bullets, I was shocked when he suggested the barnes 52 gr. bullet. I asked if this wasn't Hornady. He replied it was but all bullets that they had would not produce pretty results due to the speed of a 22/250. I had a lot of respect for a reputable bullet manufacturer who admitted their bullet wasn't the choice & saved me some bitter thoughts toward their company!

If you choose the 22-250 load up some minimum loads in a something like a v-max or ballistic tip. Pushed to the velocities it is capable of the 22-250 is capable of inflicting extreme hide damage. I almost tore one coyote in half with a spine shot from a hopped up 50gr ballistic tip load.

The .17 Rem would certainly do the job. That calibre is very popular here in Oz (when the wind doesn't blow) and I think wind and optics would be the only limiting factors for your friend.

Norma makes a nice 50 FMJ in .224 for any of the centrefire .22's up to and including the .220 Swift if your after pelts. Otherwise everyone who recommended the .22-250 is on the right track.

I would choose a hot centrefire more on where and how you intend to hunt those animals. Spot and stalk you could get by with a .222/.223, but if you also plan to include Blesbok, Springbok etc the .243 is a better choice.

Thak you Code4!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg