165 or 200 grain load for 300WM?

It can pay untold dividends to follow your PH's suggestions.

All of that sounds very nice and thoughtful. My PH suggested the .300 as a plain rifle. I have a few rifles, so if he changes his mind and suggests something else, that is what I will bring!

Hi again Kudurifle,

I am confident that your PH is suggesting the right rifle/ammunition for the species sought and the conditions you will hunt them in.
On my very first safari to Africa (Namibia), after consulting the PH, I myself brought a .300 magnum (.300 H&H / 180 grain Nosler Partition - my favorite long range hunting bullet weight for this cartridge).

As expected, very few shots were at close range (wide open desert, similar to Nevada, Arizona, etc.) but of the few that were close in, the animals all went down fast.
There was a bit more meat destruction than I would have liked but, that is better than not enough damage, thereby resulting in a lost animal.
If I had been booked for thick forest/close range conditions, that rifle would not have been my choice, but I would be a large pizza that it would have worked just fine (meat damage not withstanding).

And I predict that you are booked for the time of your life.
IMO, hunting with the right PH in Africa is like getting a short guided tour/sneak preview of Heaven, a number of years before we actually croak.

Cheers,
Velo Dog.

Last edited:
Another vote for the heavier option (200 gr). I also shoot a 300 mag (H&H variety) and use 200gr usually. I have used the 200gr AB's on most of the species listed for your hunt and have not recovered one bullet yet. One thing to check is the accuracy of the AB's in your rifle - I have never achieved great accuracy with them (struggled to get much better than 1-1.5" at 100m). I have found that flat base 200gr in Barnes TSX and A-Frames to be very accurate in my gun, so I am using them now. I prefer the superior accuracy of the Barnes/A-Frame to the superior BC of the AB in my gun - obviously this pertains to my (unique?) set-up and probably questionable marksmanship!

To my thinking, the 165s are really longer range bullets - or for use in -06s and the like that cannot get the necessary velocity to open 180gr monos.

If you like Barnes AND want to use a 200gr bullet, why not go for the Barnes 200gr TSX? At 2700-2800f/s you have ample 300yd performance and serious knockdown.

One other note: The positive comments about good penetration using light-for-caliber Barnes bullets has proven true for me too.

Reading this post reminded me that I shot through both shoulders of an 800 lb bull elk with a .308 cal 150gr TSX. Impact velocity was about 2,800 fps.

I had hoped to recover the bullet, but the Barnes would not stay in the animal!

Pretty amazing bullets, they are.

Oh, the bull never took a step. I did put another through him as he lay there, trying to pick up his head. That bullet passed through as well.

Has to be seen to be believed.

Having said all that, I'd love to take Northforks out hunting one day.

go with the 200 gr as all have said a 300 mag is made to push 180 and 200 grs fast. i push 200gr AB's at 3050fps and no animal has excaped yet most all one shot kills down and done.
if you hit the shoulder they will blow up some meat but tough Sh__! thats not your problem your job is to put em on the ground and 200 gr on the shoulder will do it everytime.
if you care about a little shoulder meat just a hair behind the leg bone should do quite nicely. and if you gotta get some penetrtation say qtring shot you wont regret 200grs.
save the 165 for non-mags that cant push the heavier bullets. sight that gun dead on at 200 yds depending on your load velocity 6-8 inch low at 300 yds. (6 clicks on my S&B)
enjoy that 300 they are awesome guns and good luck! oh download a ballistic app to your smart phone they are great for long range work.

I shoot 200 grain Sierra Game Kings from my .300 Win Mag and they arrive out past 300 yards like the proverbial beer truck. 200 grain bullet weight should definitely not be a handicap within 300 yards.

I had pretty good results using the Hornady 180gr SST's. Bit proud of myself last summer. Shot a 1.03" 3 shot group at 300yds with my factory Weatherby Vanguard S2 in 300WBY. Got some heavier bullets but haven't tried them yet.

That will definitely do the job. Just resized and deprimed 100 cases for my 300. I'll be playing with some of the 190 grain Hornady BTSP bullets to see what they will do.

My 200 grain load lumbers along at 2750 fps at the muzzle, with 83.5 grains of WC870 behind it.

Whatever you choose, travel and hunt with only one bullet type is advisable. Both the sight-in and lesser potensial mixup is easier. More time to enjoy your hunt :)

I am in middle first safari and shooting 200 gr fron 300 win mag and it is a smoker clean through a eland and a zebra and a kudu. all ph here like heavy bullets hand down end of story smokes em!

I am in middle first safari and shooting 200 gr fron 300 win mag and it is a smoker clean through a eland and a zebra and a kudu. all ph here like heavy bullets hand down end of story smokes em!

It is hard to beat a heavy for caliber bullet properly placed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silke2404

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.