Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI Canada, Delta Waterfowl
Hunted
Canada, United States, South Africa
Well I am down to 16 more sleeps before my 2nd safari with Chris Troskie.

I am almost giddy with excitement. I have gone over and over my list of items to pack and I think I have it all figured out.

I am having some issues with the German gun permit but I am hoping that will be sorted soon.

If there was one item that nobody seems to write down on the pack lists that you more experienced safari guys "must have", what would that be?

Also I have racked my brain trying to get a feel for the size of Nyala. Sometimes I get it down to within an inch of what the written length of the ram is. Then other times I am off by as much as 5 or 6. I gotta say it is bloody frustrating.

Any tips there? I have heard that I will know a monster when I see it. And when I see a cranker on the ground, nicely lit, without trees to distort the horns, there is no question that I know the thing is huge. I have real trouble when viewing photos that are not staged.

Looking forward to hearing from anyone that has something to offer.

Also I have racked my brain trying to get a feel for the size of Nyala. Sometimes I get it down to within an inch of what the written length of the ram is. Then other times I am off by as much as 5 or 6. I gotta say it is bloody frustrating.

Don't feel bad Spiral horns are a bit*h to get right.

Horns.
You need two views on the hoof from the Front AND the Side.
That side view will let you see the "sweep". That lovely lazy S that really adds length.
It's impossible to see from the front at distance.

Bell; That lyre shape can be tricky. Smaller and larger versions of it.

Look for thinning hair on the neck.

Maturity; Face, neck, etc.
Think Big Mule Deer for body characteristics to compare.

I hope you get to look over herds of them and choose your trophy.

Good luck.

Well I am down to 16 more sleeps before my 2nd safari with Chris Troskie.

I am almost giddy with excitement. I have gone over and over my list of items to pack and I think I have it all figured out.

I am having some issues with the German gun permit but I am hoping that will be sorted soon.

If there was one item that nobody seems to write down on the pack lists that you more experienced safari guys "must have", what would that be?

Any tips there? I have heard that I will know a monster when I see it. And when I see a cranker on the ground, nicely lit, without trees to distort the horns, there is no question that I know the thing is huge. I have real trouble when viewing photos that are not staged.

Looking forward to hearing from anyone that has something to offer.

A friend of mine has been with Chris 3 times and loved it all!
I love the spiral horns, perhaps my favorite animals. I have shot one nyala and he is not a big one, but the horns are fairly symmetrical and have a nice shape overall, just not long. I may take another some day, not a big deal for me. My Botswana sitatunga is my most prized trophy.
I'm off for RSA middle of June so I know how you feel. Good luck!!

Thanks Brick. I never thought of how much the sweep would add to the length.

That's why I love this forum. I don't post here much but I do try and lurk a fair bit.

Believe it or not, I count how many hand lengths, I can get on the horns counting from the base. I'm pretty good at judging them. And the true big ones, there is no need to measure. It also depends what your looking for though a 26 & a 28 incher don't look to much different sometimes.

Very nice to know. I hunted with him in 2011 and loved every minute of it.

Looking forward to the hunt report!

Cowtown guy, wish you the best for your upcoming trip.

As for your Nyala, stop worrying and just trust your PH.

Spirals are not the easiest to judge by a long shot, mass, curl, ridge, bell and tips come into play...

The more you see the better you'll get :)

As for pictures they are tough, at least for myself i find it easier the hoof!

Only other advice i could probably help with is that if Chris says put bullet! :) that you should probably shoot....

Enjoy it and be sure to post your report...

My best always

I do trust Chris for sure. He got me into exactly what I was looking for on my last trip. I just like to try and get a good idea in my head of what I am looking for before ripping the trigger. Honestly it may come down to what the cape/beard looks like. They are a very gorgeous critter and the big reason that I chose to hunt in Natal this time.

……... They are a very gorgeous critter ………..

Exactly, why I went to Natal. It is where they live and grow best. Seeing those capes in some of that bush can be a challenge.
Have fun. Shoot straight.

If my math hasn't failed me, Cowtown s/b in RSA now, looking forward to the report!

Aaaaaaaand WHY don't we have updates yet?

We're waiting.

tap…tap…tap…tap…tap…

Better have a good story to tell dangit! :)

Forgot to add: How do you know it's a big one?

Your guide's eyes get REEEEEAAAALLLYYY BIG and he says…

WOW! DID YOU SEE THAT ONE!?!?!!!

/sigh…you say to yourself and it flicks a tail and disappears behind the brush…

:D

Hope your having a great trip and shoot straight! Nyala is on my list too. Very pretty animals!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DenaI60135

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Looking to hire Odoo developers in UAE, USA In o2b technologies has skilled and experienced Odoo developers at competitive pricing Consult Now!

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!