12 ga Remington 2-3/4” 1oz rifled slugs

F. Vaccaro

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Has anyone got first hand knowledge using Remington 12ga 2-3/4” rifled slugs on game?
we have one area restricted to handguns, bows, muzzle loading rifles & shotguns. Thanks.
This would be White tail deer.
Frank.

Has anyone got first hand knowledge using Remington 12ga 2-3/4” rifled slugs on game?
we have one area restricted to handguns, bows, muzzle loading rifles & shotguns. Thanks.
Frank.
Work pretty well on deer and hogs in my experience

I agree. I never shot a whitetail with slugs, but I have shot an Impala. I was using a Remington 11-87 with a 28" inch full choke barrel with the factory bead sight. The slugs were 3" though. My shot was about 75 yards and hit it about mid shoulder. The impala drop on the spot, the exit wound was fairly large.

Frank.

I do have knowledge regarding shooting whitetail with shotguns; growing up in my part of Wisconsin that’s all we could use.

the thing I can attest to is if you use a rifled slug barrel you have to clean the barrel often. Only a handful of shots and your accuracy will go downhill quick.

A 12 gauge is very effective and depending on how accurate the set up is, can be used past 100 yards. Although, then you will probably need sabots and a scope. A 20 gauge might be a better choice because of the improved ballistics and lesser recoil.

But, to your question, a Rem 2 3/4 12 gauge is very effective on deer at closer ranges in capable hands.

John

I've shot whitetail deer with a variety of slugs including Remington 2 3/4" and 3", using a variety of types of shotguns, they have all worked very well from a few inches (once when charged by a whitetail die, she went about 40 yards before collapsing) to 125 +/- yards (once using Beneke ?? slug on a doe, she went about 10 yards before collapsing) while most shots were between 30 and 80 yards. All were pass through.

Living in Ohio, that's all we were allowed to use for Whitetails, along with muzzleloaders, for years. If you hit the kill zone, the same as using any other firearm caliber, you will have no problem.

Frank.
@F. Vaccaro
Frank I can't say I have used the Remington slugs but the Winchester rifled slugs at 1,600fps are absolutely devastating on pigs out to 50 yards. I have used them in a 20" double barrel shot gun, pump gun and bolt action mossberg with no problems.
DON'T pull bot triggers on a short barrel sxs at the same time. I assure you it will definitely get your attention.
Bob

Do you mean the Remington Slugger Foster type slugs or the Remington Accutip sabots?? The sluggers are very effective. The Accutios are more accurate and more effective. Both are overkill and much more powerful than needed. The Sluggers are only accurate enough for 50 yards. Either will go through both shoulders.
I hunt 63a in Idaho which is also short range weapons - shotguns muzzle loaders or archery. 40 years ago I used Sluggers in a Remington 1100 with open sights. 30 years ago it was replaced with an Ithaca Deerslayer II with a pinned rifled barrel and sabots - first Winchester sabots that were very accurate but didn’t expand then Remington copper sabots that were devastating. 4 years ago it was replaced by a Savage 220. I haven’t been able to find Accutips so I have been using Hornady SST sabots and have been very pleased with the accuracy and performance on deer. I can send a photo of the devastation on a deer if you want.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SibylLasse

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,