12 ga. .690 Round Ball

Other forums suggest the molds are ITAR but that the mold vendors have paid the fee and so are successful. You and I likely cannot. It's a messed up world.

If there was a way @IvW that I could send you some slugs I would happily do it for just the cost of shipping. However, I am pretty sure it is not only illegal, but from what I hear of the SA postal system, they would likely never get to you anyway.
I can see if I can buy and import the molds or find a machine shop here to make them

Those look awesome. Are you using the RCBS brass 12G dies are something else?
No, the RCBS dies don't FL resize the cases. They just have a sizing ring and wouldn't size the neck down enough.I am using an Ideal brass shotshell die fprobably from the 30's or 40's. It is literally just a piece of tool steel billet milled the correct dimension internally. I force the lubricated brass shell into the die with my vice between two steel plates. The drive it out with a dowel rod. This resizes it so the neck is about .720" in diameter. I am now wondering though if a .50 bmg die would work as well.
ideal-reload-12g-paper-shell-sizer-1.jpg

If there was a way @IvW that I could send you some slugs I would happily do it for just the cost of shipping. However, I am pretty sure it is not only illegal, but from what I hear of the SA postal system, they would likely never get to you anyway.
I appreciate the offer but fear that may well be impossible....your inputs are appreciated thx

So I can safely screw a fibre wad into the back of the slug as Renneke does and work up from there?
IvW , is it possible for you to have a Brenneke Original Slug mould made ? So that you can cast your own ?

I may be able to
You can likely just get any of the accurate molds ones with a hollow base and get a machinist to turn you a plug for it. If you do end up with the mold I am using, let us know how they work on bushpig. I keep hoping to get a black bear with them, but I am never carrying this gun when a bear walks out in front of me. Just one coyote, but he collapsed like he was struck by lightning.

Despite the relatively low sectional density, the momentum of this round makes me think you will get very near stem-to-stern penetration on leopard and bushpig as well as smashing any bones encountered. Plus, the molds accurate molds make are some of the best for the price anywhere.

Just over 500 .690 diameter Round Balls that came out of the oven from heat treating.

They were also water quinched.

These Round Balls have an average BHN reading of 21.

All Round Balls will go through a second trip in the vibratory polishers, and will gain at least "1" more point of hardness, for a total BHN reading of 22. This is the hardness I strive for, for all of the Round Balls that I produce.

After going through the vibratory polishers, all Round Balls will be washed, rinsed and dried. The final step before loading will be a hands on inspection of each and every Round Ball.

As much attention to detail that is given every step of the way, out of the last batch of 10,000 not one was found to have a single flaw in it, and I expect the same results from these.

IMG_20210726_162420~2.jpg

Round Ball

Just over 500 .690 diameter Round Balls that came out of the oven from heat treating.

They were also water quinched.

These Round Balls have an average BHN reading of 21.

All Round Balls will go through a second trip in the vibratory polishers, and will gain at least "1" more point of hardness, for a total BHN reading of 22. This is the hardness I strive for, for all of the Round Balls that I produce.

After going through the vibratory polishers, all Round Balls will be washed, rinsed and dried. The final step before loading will be a hands on inspection of each and every Round Ball.

As much attention to detail that is given every step of the way, out of the last batch of 10,000 not one was found to have a single flaw in it, and I expect the same results from these.

View attachment 414996

Round Ball
What alloy are these cast from? Normally lead work softens when it is beaten on. Does your alloy contain any copper?

They sure look pretty!

What alloy are these cast from? Normally lead work softens when it is beaten on. Does your alloy contain any copper?

They sure look pretty!
Thank you ChrisG.

No, they do not contain any copper.

Lead, tin, linotype and babbitt.

My own mix to get the hardness I want, and what the big game and dangerous game hunters expect.

Round Ball

B
Thank you ChrisG.

Lead, tin, linotype and babbitt.

My own mix to get the hardness I want, and what all the big game and dangerous game hunters expect.

Round Ball
Babbitt has copper it. That explains the work hardening. That it why they use it in bushings. The lead provides lubricity and the copper work hardens it so the bushing doesn't wear out. Seems to make an excellent bullet that is hard but not brittle. Nice!

Last edited:
The trace amount of copper in babbitt is so small, that I do not consider it as a viable component in my alloy mix but yes, babbitt does contain copper. It's just not an alloy that I add separately.

Thank you.

Round Ball

Last edited:
The trace amount of copper in babbitt is so small, that I do not consider it as a viable component in my alloy mix. But, if small trace amounts count, then I guess one could say that it does have copper in it.

Thank you.

Round Ball
Yes it probably does count. Otherwise I don't see a legimiate explanation as to how it work hardens as lead alloys containing tin and antimony typically work soften, but I am also not a materials scientist.

I assume you water drop these so they age harden for about a week. Have you tested them over time? Usually my alloys containing antimony will harden up to about bhn 16 after a week then age soften back to about bhn 14 in a few months and settle there. I just mix a little antimonial lead (20%Sb, 80% Pb) in with my melt and add enough tin to get it to fill out the molds without the temp being ridiculous. Then I water drop them. I am no where near as careful and methodical about it as you are and my batch-to-batch composition varies by a bit. But they seem to shoot good! Good process you have going there!

Depending on the grade of babbitt, it is used in the manufacturing of high grade ball bearings.

I use just enough to get all the qualities I am looking for in a hunting Round Ball.

22 BHN after heat treating.

23 BHN in one week.

21-22 BHN in three months.

Round Ball

Hopefully it won't be 100 degrees this weekend, and I can get out and do some accuracy testing with this last batch of Round Balls. I'll keep a few for myself, and the rest will be loaded for a group of guys in Texas that plan on using them on their next African Safari in the next couple of months. Their main weapons of course will be dangerous game rifles, but they also want to shoot what they can up close and personal.

Myself, I'm looking forward to this year's deer season. I'll hunt Oklahoma, Texas and Mississippi for does only, plus hogs if the opportunity presents itself.

Round Ball

After the final 15 hours in the vibratory polishers, these Round Balls look like they are chrome plated dark gray with a very shiny polish on them.

IMG_20210727_104618~2.jpg

Diameter was tested for accuracy and uniformity.

Weight was tested for accuracy and uniformity.

Hopefully I can shoot some this weekend and see how they do.

Round Ball

After the final 15 hours in the vibratory polishers, these Round Balls look like they are chrome plated dark gray with a very shiny polish on them.

View attachment 415122

Diameter was tested for accuracy and uniformity.

Weight was tested for accuracy and uniformity.

Hopefully I can shoot some this weekend and see how they do.

Round Ball
Do you add anything to the polisher or just the balls?

Fantastic work on manufacturing those Balls, great attention to detail & very good info for us all .

Thank you for that !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristyLak

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg