10,75x68 Mauser

Rhön

Reaction score
Hunted
Namibia Simbabwe
Good morning, I am new here and I need a little help. Has anybody experiences with Woodleigh bullets in this cartridge ? Woodleigh 423 SPRN or FMJ in 347 Grains. Next Option is Reichenberg Solid and Softpoint in 280 Grains. The rifle is about 100 jears old and the barrel the the old .423 one, newer ones have 422.
Belgium Degol bullets are very soft, FMJ`s fail on smal antilopes !
Thank you for helping

Welcome aboard Rhon, (sorry about the missing umlaut) hopefully an AH member will have the answer you are looking for. My 10.75(s) are 404 Jeffery and use a 400 Gr. bullet. It was the diameter that caught my eye.

Good morning, I am new here and I need a little help. Has anybody experiences with Woodleigh bullets in this cartridge ? Woodleigh 423 SPRN or FMJ in 347 Grains. Next Option is Reichenberg Solid and Softpoint in 280 Grains. The rifle is about 100 jears old and the barrel the the old .423 one, newer ones have 422.
Thank you for helping
Rhon, the Degol bullets, core bonded really have very thick mantels , it would not be possible to blow up or fail on small antilopes , since the bone structure of a small antilope is just too soft..here is a picture of the Degol bullets cut in halve to expose the thick copper mantle ..Fmj are also core-bonded. Only one in the world. Degol use 4 mm thick plates 85/15 brass. So the nose has 4 mm thick mantle piece..With today`s technology in materials like brass /lead compositions it really is not possible for this type of bullet construction to fail..not on thin skin animals .....or small antilope in a bush..maybe you hit a branch before the bullet reach the small antilope??

Attachments

• DEGOL.pdf
    287.3 KB · Views: 123
I shot Degol in 9,3x62, the spitzer type 285gr at 840m/s (2755f/s)(not the round nose only for my 9,3x74R) and even on Roe Deer in driven hunts, I never got any failure even any meat dammage unless you touch big bones.

Last edited:
Thank you for helping
Have a look on the 230grs Aero bullet from Mayerl / Styriaarms. This could be a very good and flat shooting plains game combination. Mayerl will also support with reloading data.

Rhon, the Degol bullets, core bonded really have very thick mantels , it would not be possible to blow up or fail on small antilopes , since the bone structure of a small antilope is just too soft..here is a picture of the Degol bullets cut in halve to expose the thick copper mantle ..Fmj are also core-bonded. Only one in the world. Degol use 4 mm thick plates 85/15 brass. So the nose has 4 mm thick mantle piece..With today`s technology in materials like brass /lead compositions it really is not possible for this type of bullet construction to fail..not on thin skin animals .....or small antilope in a bush..maybe you hit a branch before the bullet reach the small antilope??
I agree with you Gert.

Thank you for helping
It is a great caliber the 10.75 x 68 caliber as pointed out by Shootist...but it would not be a good caliber to hunt small , soft skin game animals like a duiker /Dik-Dik or Steenbuck with it..it will cause excessive damage to meat and bone..I am hunting Impala ( rooibok) in South Africa with mine, but the 10.75 x 73 caliber ( 404 Jeffery ) I used 350 gn bullets , core bonded Stewarts bullets since I love my 404 Jeffery and want to make it a" one rifle for all game" even thinking of using it for long distance hunting on Eland or Oryx up to 400 meters...the difficulty with using it on the Impala /soft skin medium small game is the excessive meat /bone damage it causes..I could push my fist through the whole in the rib cage of the Blue wildebeest and Impala I shot last year...
Members on this forum suggest I rather hunt these small/medium soft skin game with a solid /mono bullet...
I would like any other suggestions in solving this challenge for the coming hunt in the near future..(y)

The cartridge 10,75x68 is a hybrid cartridge , too strong for Plain Game , a little weak for heavy DG.

I shot three buffalos with it , two with the classic thin jacketed 22.5 g FMJ bullet from RWS , and one with the 347gr FMJ bullet from Woodleigh. I was very lucky , it went well in all three cases , but the deep penetration of the bullet is marginal.This cartridge is no longer my first choice for hunting DG , but it is good to use for wild boar hunting.

The cartridge 10,75x68 is a hybrid cartridge , too strong for Plain Game , a little weak for heavy DG.

I shot three buffalos with it , two with the classic thin jacketed 22.5 g FMJ bullet from RWS , and one with the 347gr FMJ bullet from Woodleigh. I was very lucky , it went well in all three cases , but the deep penetration of the bullet is marginal.This cartridge is no longer my first choice for hunting DG , but it is good to use for wild boar hunting.
I agree with you...that is why I would choose the older brother , 10.75 x 73 mm or 404 Jeffery for dangerous game hunt...I think this is why the 10.75 x 68 caliber is moving backwards into the absolute caliber history..the few die -hard owners like me love these old stalwarts and want to keep them alive for prosperity ..a great and admirable gesture for sure...and an gesture greatly appreciated by all our rifle loving fraternity...(y):A Banana:

Thank`s. I loaded AERO from Mayerl and Reichenberg. As shooting range is closed now -Corona - , I have no results now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristyLak

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg